Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MandoWarrior1

Yamato Captain

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles

So, im getting back into the game and my Yamato captain has been reset((Weird)). 

I dont remember what I had on him, so I need to ask some general questions.

My current modifactions are set up for sedoncary play... is setting up the captain and main modificatiosn worth doing on the Yamato or should I focus on less Secondary and more on survival, main battery and such?

Edit: I... kind of did a match with the secondary gameplay. it helped against a destroyer but I got my butt kicked from fire and such.... I think ill play main battery + Survival.

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,709 battles

A secondary focused build for a Tier 10 BB certainly is up for debate as to its effectiveness, but there is never a time that you will regret running a survivability build on a high tier BB. And this is even more true for the Yamato, which is a ship that is generally focused heavily when enemy players have the option. 

Skills like Basics of Survivability, Superintendent, Concealment Expert, Fire Prevention etc are generally all good choices for a Yamato build imo.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,227 posts
6,433 battles

I would place the focus on your main guns.

Several new ships have been released that are more useful at brawling, and given how Yamato is the only T10 Battleship that has a vulnerable citadel any sorts of close range engagements are risky.

Also, depending on long you were gone you might not know about the terror that the British Battleships can be when they spam HE at you. So a build with Survivability Skills is recommended.

For the Captain I would go (in that order): 

Preventive Maintenance or Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Fire Prevention

Basics of Survivability

Adrenaline Rush

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles

Well, I have only 16 points to use and this is my final build that I made. opinions?

Preventive Maintenace, Jack of All trades, Surviability expert, Fire Prevention, Super indendent and vigilance.

Pesky Torpedoes you know?

Is concealment expert really worth taking on a Battleship?

[RIPQP]
Members
435 posts
12,306 battles
2 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Well, I have only 16 points to use and this is my final build that I made. opinions?

Preventive Maintenace, Jack of All trades, Surviability expert, Fire Prevention, Super indendent and vigilance.

lol.

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,709 battles

Honestly if I had to critique it:

1: change JoAT to Expert Marksman. JoAT is really not worth it on the Yamato, and you will want that faster traverse speed.

2: Remove Survivability Expert and save up another point for Concealment Expert. SE is not worth it on any BB. 

Other skills are good. 

Concealment Expert is a great skill to use on BBs that operate in the mid range region. It allows you to go dark after shooting and get closer to opponents without them knowing. Might catch some cruisers and BBs turning broadside as they don't expect a BB to pop up 13km away with shots already on the way.  

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles
6 minutes ago, SovereignEagle said:

Honestly if I had to critique it:

1: change JoAT to Expert Marksman. JoAT is really not worth it on the Yamato, and you will want that faster traverse speed.

2: Remove Survivability Expert and save up another point for Concealment Expert. SE is not worth it on any BB. 

Other skills are good. 

Concealment Expert is a great skill to use on BBs that operate in the mid range region. It allows you to go dark after shooting and get closer to opponents without them knowing. Might catch some cruisers and BBs turning broadside as they don't expect a BB to pop up 13km away with shots already on the way.  

But its only .7 degrees. Is it a huge difference?

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,709 battles
3 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

You go from 72s traverse to 56s traverse for a 180. That is huge. And significantly more worth than having like 3-4s off your DC and repair party.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,227 posts
6,433 battles
3 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

You should look at it from anotgher perspective.

Stock a Yamato's turrets turn at 2.5° per second. With EM it goes up to 3.2° per second. That means that a 180° turn will take considerably less with 56.25 seconds.

Or just in Terms of relation, your turrets will turn 28% faster.

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles
2 minutes ago, SovereignEagle said:

You go from 72s traverse to 56s traverse for a 180. That is huge. And significantly more worth than having like 3-4s off your DC and repair party.

1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

You should look at it from anotgher perspective.

Stock a Yamato's turrets turn at 2.5° per second. With EM it goes up to 3.2° per second. That means that a 180° turn will take considerably less with 56.25 seconds.

Or just in Terms of relation, your turrets will turn 28% faster.

Alright. I did it. Thanks. 

I quit way back when German BB's had come out... so theres so much more things going on now. 

Yamato used to be a really good brawler with those secondaries... but now ill play Main battery + Survival. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,998 posts

The Yamato has the second best secondaries at Tier 10, but her exposed Cit and the design of high tier maps does not engender her wading into a group of Reds with the risk of crossfire. That and the terrible DCP the IJN BBs have, Fire Prevention is a must.

[DRACS]
Members
3,365 posts

Incidentally, when it comes to upgrades, what do you fit in the 3m slot? I was thinking Main Battery Modification 3, but Yamato already has a really horrid turret traverse, and the above mod would pretty much cancel out the boost from Expert Marksman. Problem is I can't seem to find anything else that fits. Yamato's AA is not great, so not sure if extra AA dps would help (it could). I wouldn't use the secondaries upgrade since Yamato should never ever brawl if you ask me. Range is pointless as it already has amazing range.

So yeah ... not sure.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,207 battles
4 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Yes, it is a huge difference as was posted above. Even with it dropped into the 50 second range if ships get close you can't swing the turrets fast enough to catch up to them unless you had them already going in the right direction. Especially vs DD's. You have to pass on the shot and hope you don't eat torps or swing the ship which can lead to showing too much side. It is why I hate to close in when playing Yamato. I get to 10-12km and try and stay there and going the same direction as long as possible so my guns don't have to move much.

4 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

you know?Well, I have only 16 points to use and this is my final build that I made. opinions?

Is concealment expert really worth taking on a Battleship?

Yes, CE is a HUGE help. It let's you vanish when being focus fired by other BB's and/or HE Spamming Cruisers. It can let you disengage from a deteriorating situation and get turned around without fear of showing your side.  With the Concealment system module installed and the Capt running CE you can drop Yamato's concealment to just 13.5km. This really helps when you need to turn out and reposition. You just stop shooting, wait to go dark, then turn and scoot. And about an hour later, long after you have repositioned and are ready to shoot again your guns finally have swung around so you can LOL.

I actually have a 16pt Capt on Yamato as well. FWIW I spec'd him and my Yam as follows (note I play mostly Co-op so this works well for me there and might not be best build for you)

• PT
  • PM (because I don't use MAM1)
  • IFA
  • EM (a MUST for Yamato and even more so if you use the reload mod)
  • BFT
  • AFT
  • CE
  • When I get the last 3 pts I will go SI or possibly drop PM and use 4pts for FP - SI probably though

For Ship modules I run

• AAM1 (protect the AA and Secondary guns)
  • DCSM1
  • ASM1
  • SGM2
  • CSM1
  • MBM3 (faster reload times at expense of slower turret rotation)

This setup gives me a main gun/stealth focused ship with a fast reload (26.4 sec), improved turret rotation over stock (62.2 sec), decent secondary range (8.8km), and decent AA (87 rating). Makes it good or good enough at everything I need. SI will add an extra heal which is always good.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,207 battles
4 hours ago, TornadoADV said:

The Yamato has the second best secondaries at Tier 10, but her exposed Cit and the design of high tier maps does not engender her wading into a group of Reds with the risk of crossfire. That and the terrible DCP the IJN BBs have, Fire Prevention is a must.

Yamato's turret rotation is the biggest issue with closing in to brawl IMO. The guns just take forever to swing. I can run circles around a Yamato in Montana because the guns can't catch up to me.

Sign in to follow this