You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

Rant on Tier 8 MM

54 comments in this topic

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Really getting quite tired of tier 8 match making.  Bought the Harekaze a few weeks ago, had my eye on it for while - pulled the trigger associated with the mission.  Since I bought it, I have spent the majority of the time in it in tier 10 matches.  Every first match has been a tier 10 match.  Tonight, I am just mad.  Server population for all games over 11K

Three straight games - three tier 10 - one of the only tier 8s in game.  I do not mind some uptiering - but every time?  I have a number of tier 8 ships (pretty much all of them) I have bought, but tired of taking them out just to be in a tier 10 match.  I have plenty of 10 tier ships if I want to play tier 10 all the time.  WG makes a pretty penny selling tier 8 boats, they can sell it for more, but this is just too much.  If the tier 8s are always going to be up tiered, then buff them all - I don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage any time I wish to play a tier 8 ship.  I can tell you, I am not spending another cent on this game until this is fixed.

shot-18.02.05_19.18.03-0150.jpg

shot-18.02.05_19.48.15-0258.jpg

shot-18.02.05_20.02.41-0194.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,387 battles

I have to agree with this, T8 is the worst tier right now... the new T5 for sure.

Spoiler

... and you know what would fix it? +/-1 MM plox!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I really don't mind tier 8 i know going in I will be bottom tier.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles

I always find it funny when people argue that t8s are pulled into t10 matches because the lack of t9 and 10s.  What is funny about it is that a lot of these matches I see have 1-2 t8 ships.  They couldn't wait a few more seconds to fill in the other 2-3 slots?  In fact, as this game gets older the population of t10s has only gone up.  

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,941 posts
6,549 battles

I'm luckily in a situation where most of the tier VIIIs I am playing uptier well.

It's really not fun when they don't...

Still wondering why MM isn't +/-1 as that solves so many problems for trivial additional wait time.

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles

Its fun, T8 complains that only gets T10 battles, but T6 complains that only gets T6 8 battles... go figure ...

My most played tier is T8, nearly half my battles im top tier, the other half and a little im botton or middle tier, is working fine to me. 

Also some of the battles where im botton tier where most of the ships are T8 or T9, like one i just had, with 2 T10, 2 T9 and 8 T8, so im fine with that. 

And its always fun to end top XP with a T8 ship in a T10 battle.

Edited by Xlap
  • Cool 1

[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,045 battles

Getting to play a lot more games in T8 this days and the MM and maps are just horrendous.

If I play in my Hipper I am facing 9 and 10 that can delete me with a broadside of AP almost from every angle.

If I play the Japanese and German T8 I am facing DDs that just pulverize me in gun to gun battles. Not to mention ships with radar that goes trough solid rock for some [edited]reason.

If I play my beloved Bismarck, well, things are a little bit better, the maps still suck, the enemies are sometimes major paper [edited], BUT its the "teams" that ruin the gameplay. They will just hide behind islands even when your side has the advantage to move forward or just turn around the moment another T10 bb shows up.

So, yes T8 worst tier, by far.

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

I can tell you, I am not spending another cent on this game until this is fixed.

I hate to sound snarky, but I guess this means you won't be spending any more money on the game. This has been a common complaint for a long time and WG has not shown much interest in changing to a +/- 1 MM.

I do feel your pain. I've got a few Tier VIII ships and I typically only play a few of them that I really like (NC, Benson, Edinburgh). The others, especially the Hipper, Mogami, and New Orleans are port queens because of the MM.

Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

I have to agree with this, T8 is the worst tier right now... the new T5 for sure.

Hide contents

... and you know what would fix it? +/-1 MM plox!

Doesn't have to be +/-1. MM could either make it so the match starts with less than 12v12(but no less than 8v8 or 9v9) and the only tiers are T9/10(which I guess is effectively +/-1, but that's beside the point), or work like WoT MM(so I hear) where if it's going to be a T9/10 match with T8s, T8s make up ~60% or more of the teams so the bottom tier ships don't feel overwhelmed by top tier ships.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[INTEL]
Members
8,407 posts
25,228 battles
16 hours ago, Jarink said:

I hate to sound snarky, but I guess this means you won't be spending any more money on the game. This has been a common complaint for a long time and WG has not shown much interest in changing to a +/- 1 MM.

I do feel your pain. I've got a few Tier VIII ships and I typically only play a few of them that I really like (NC, Benson, Edinburgh). The others, especially the Hipper, Mogami, and New Orleans are port queens because of the MM.

It's why I don't spend anymore money either. Spent my last $ on some Xmas boxes. But there's no point in purchasing T5-6 premiums because those tiers have been wrecked. And now T8, which used to be a blast, is constantly uptiered to T10, especially for me, since I play at offpeak.

What a mess WG has made of this once wonderful game... 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I always find it funny when people argue that t8s are pulled into t10 matches because the lack of t9 and 10s.  What is funny about it is that a lot of these matches I see have 1-2 t8 ships.  They couldn't wait a few more seconds to fill in the other 2-3 slots?  In fact, as this game gets older the population of t10s has only gone up.  

Or MM could just run with slightly smaller teams so as not to need a tiny number of t8's to backfill 12v12 teams.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles

Blame the economy at T10. Nowadays you can just spam games at T10 and make tons of Credits, provided you have the perma camo. So why would those T10 Players Play a T6 or T8 Premium if they could achieve the same at T10?

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

I'm luckily in a situation where most of the tier VIIIs I am playing uptier well.

It's really not fun when they don't...

Still wondering why MM isn't +/-1 as that solves so many problems for trivial additional wait time.

It comes down to letting t10s feel OP.  People get immense pleasure curb stomping lesser ships. You get +2 uptiering at t5+, most ships are overmatched, lack the range, or other tools higher ships get, and though you can make it work sometimes, it doesn't really make for fun gaming.  It's like having a high school football team face off against the NFL.  Sure you're technically both playing the same game, but come on.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I really don't mind tier 8 i know going in I will be bottom tier.

6 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

It comes down to letting t10s feel OP.  People get immense pleasure curb stomping lesser ships. You get +2 uptiering at t5+, most ships are overmatched, lack the range, or other tools higher ships get, and though you can make it work sometimes, it doesn't really make for fun gaming.  It's like having a high school football team face off against the NFL.  Sure you're technically both playing the same game, but come on.

Fun is where you find it. I enjoy the challenge I just did 4 games at T8 50% 2/2 all games paid well in EXP and Credits I use Premium Time so it does makes a difference.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
1 hour ago, Jarink said:

This has been a common complaint for a long time and WG has not shown much interest in changing to a +/- 1 MM.

This is not true; WoW has shown NO interest in changing the current MM setup what so ever.

47 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Blame the economy at T10. Nowadays you can just spam games at T10 and make tons of Credits, provided you have the perma camo. So why would those T10 Players Play a T6 or T8 Premium if they could achieve the same at T10?

And when you get enough free XP you just buy a Missouri and print credits in a game where you're always at +1/-1.

8 minutes ago, Minah_Bang said:

MM hates T5 & T8....just hates them

It doesn't have a helluva lotta luv for tiers 6 and 7 either Tiger!

My favorite high tier ships are Z-46 and Yugumo, and one reason is I always get +1/-1 MM. The only other way to get that is tier 4, where I play Yubari.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
3 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Really getting quite tired of tier 8 match making.  Bought the Harekaze a few weeks ago, had my eye on it for while - pulled the trigger associated with the mission.  Since I bought it, I have spent the majority of the time in it in tier 10 matches.  Every first match has been a tier 10 match.  Tonight, I am just mad.  Server population for all games over 11K

Three straight games - three tier 10 - one of the only tier 8s in game.  I do not mind some uptiering - but every time?  I have a number of tier 8 ships (pretty much all of them) I have bought, but tired of taking them out just to be in a tier 10 match.  I have plenty of 10 tier ships if I want to play tier 10 all the time.  WG makes a pretty penny selling tier 8 boats, they can sell it for more, but this is just too much.  If the tier 8s are always going to be up tiered, then buff them all - I don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage any time I wish to play a tier 8 ship.  I can tell you, I am not spending another cent on this game until this is fixed.

shot-18.02.05_19.18.03-0150.jpg

shot-18.02.05_19.48.15-0258.jpg

shot-18.02.05_20.02.41-0194.jpg

Stop buying tier 8 premiums, you are paying money in order to f*ck yourself over. Litetally.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

There's no end to the whingeing about MM. It's actually funny now.

[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,277 posts
7,099 battles

I would say that 80% of my Alabama matches are Tier X.

That being the case, majority of Tier X players are horrible at best, and I still find a way to get decent damage numbers and wins.

Yeah, it the difference between Tier VIII and Tier X isn't anywhere as great as it is WoT.

[TMS]
Members
1,613 posts
21,620 battles

When i first got my Harekaze i got pounded as well as 90% of my battles were T10, it took time for me to adjust to that DD and the situation that its constantly put in.

Edited by Final8ty

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

Play only tier VIII ships for a hundred games and then come back and present the number of times you were

1. top tier.

2. middle tier.

3. bottom tier.

I think that you will find that the numbers are pretty much even. It's just that you don't notice it so much when you are not uptiered.  

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,980 posts
22 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Play only tier VIII ships for a hundred games and then come back and present the number of times you were

1. top tier.

2. middle tier.

3. bottom tier.

I think that you will find that the numbers are pretty much even. It's just that you don't notice it so much when you are not uptiered.  

Somebody made a post on these forums where they did the tier placing in MM averaged over 100 games. As everybody expected, Tier 5 and 8 got bent over the barrel the hardest, with bottom tier placement (+2 MM) matches taking up around 60% of the games for each. Tier 5 gets it because Tier 4 getting sheltered MM and being used to fill Tier 7 matches. Which rolls into the Tier 8 situation because WG has directly incentivized Tier 10 play with perma-camo, bloating the ship count at the top of the tree. WG has no reason to change it, even at the expense of Tier 8 premium sales because each perma-camo costs the same as a Tier 5 premium BB and people will almost always purchase the camo so they can play their tier 10s more.

The whole situation of terrible design choices feeds off itself, your only recourse is to play Tier 4 and 7 or if you can stand the extremely slow high tier meta, perma-camo your tier 10s.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

And when you get enough free XP you just buy a Missouri and print credits in a game where you're always at +1/-1.

Missouri is one playstyle, one that I can't really Play. But with all the T10s you can basically pick and choose your playstyle, and then print Credits.

2 hours ago, Umikami said:

It doesn't have a helluva lotta luv for tiers 6 and 7 either Tiger!

I disagree.

T7 is in a great spot, because it usually Ends up as highest Tier thanks to how the T10 Players suck all the T8 Players into their matches. The amount of games where T7 faces T9 are rare.

T6 is similar, but less extreme. Usually you end in T5-7 matches. And those are not much of an issue since you can easily fight at least half of your opponents. Also those T7 ships make for a nice XP pinata... :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
23 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Somebody made a post on these forums where they did the tier placing in MM averaged over 100 games. As everybody expected, Tier 5 and 8 got bent over the barrel the hardest, with bottom tier placement (+2 MM) matches taking up around 60% of the games for each. Tier 5 gets it because Tier 4 getting sheltered MM and being used to fill Tier 7 matches. Which rolls into the Tier 8 situation because WG has directly incentivized Tier 10 play with perma-camo, bloating the ship count at the top of the tree. WG has no reason to change it, even at the expense of Tier 8 premium sales because each perma-camo costs the same as a Tier 5 premium BB and people will almost always purchase the camo so they can play their tier 10s more.

The whole situation of terrible design choices feeds off itself, your only recourse is to play Tier 4 and 7 or if you can stand the extremely slow high tier meta, perma-camo your tier 10s.

Well, one should expect long-term players to gravitate to tier X because that's where it ends. I have yet to get there though. I've played a little over a year and have just now purchased two tier IXs, an Iowa and a Fletcher. I have to play 2/3ds of my games at lower tiers to afford to play them but I play for free too so I can't complain. I'll continue to collect data through and get back after a week or two. One reason I play so many battles at tier VIII is that it's the highest tier that I can consistently make money at, even when I'm not among the top two or three on the team. 

Edited by Snargfargle