You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

DeGrasse or Duca d'Aosta

34 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
118 posts
2,666 battles

Got a 30% coupon and was wondering which of the Tier 6 Cruisers folks prefer, the DeGrasse or Duca d'Aosta?  I'm leaning towards the Duca but any feedback owners could provide would be appreciated.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

Do you like baguettes or pasta? They seem very similar. I have DeGrasse, and I like it, but it's up against Tier 8 battleships most of the time. For a tier 6 division, I will run it or Graf Spee mostly.

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,131 battles

I would pick the Degrasse over the Duca. Not only can you have a captain to have if you decide to go a French cruiser line. The Degrasse is actually better in almost every way than it's French tier 6 counterpart.  Good HE, it's fast. the torp angles are actually really amazing for a cruiser. 

The Duca has really bad HE rounds (And I mean really really bad), and even though the torps do have an amazing for tier 12km range, the torps are extremely slow, so you would never actually be "Aiming" in hitting a single target, but just shooting them off ahead of an enemy group and hoping one of enemies hit's the torps. 

Just my two cent... However... If I could... Have you considered the Church of Perth? Amazing little ship that will do you wonders. =p 

Edited by Merlox

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,406 battles

Duca have the speed, flat arc and the stealth, paper thin armor, need to have WASD hack, long range torp

DeGrass only have more fire chance, she looses her speed when turning - dodging and eat citadels - more armor then Duca but with little margin, short range torp - sister ship to the LaGa

You should buy 2 ships then test them all ......

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

I'd say De Grasse, but when in doubt consult reviews.

• Bad 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,043 battles

DeGrasse gives you a captain trainer if going up the French cruiser line.  Great fire starter, good torps, good speed/turning.  Duca, very pretty and pretty useless... 

[-DOG-]
[-DOG-]
Members
40 posts
8,252 battles

I have both degrade is more durable and better aa.DUCA is pretty but seems squiche and not as good aa and you will want a 10 point capt on quick as I found ducal was more bearable with concealment capt perk

[HINON]
Supertester
18,907 posts
12,441 battles

DeGrasse has my vote as well.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
24 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Got a 30% coupon and was wondering which of the Tier 6 Cruisers folks prefer, the DeGrasse or Duca d'Aosta?  I'm leaning towards the Duca but any feedback owners could provide would be appreciated.

DeGrasse is the better ship hands down. I like the Duca, but you need to be a very good player if you hope to make that ship work for you. Most people playing it have no idea w.t.f they are doing.

Members
2,274 posts
7,314 battles

I only have Duca, and its a good CL. Concealment and mobility are really good. The AP is also really good. HE is meh. Duca can mount both DF and Hydro a the same time, plus a fighter/spotter plane. Duca shines skirmishing DDs and other crusiers. 

I dont have DeGrasse, but it seems a "normal" and good CL. Very similar, but slightly better than La Galissionnierie. Try to get La Gal see if you like. 

[KSC]
Members
201 posts
7,785 battles

DeGrasse is one of the best Cruiser premiums for there tier in the game so if you can Definitely DeGrasse

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,031 battles

Neither are really worth any money.

The thing with T6 cruisers is that they get matched against T8 ships. You will not have a good time in T6 cruisers. Both of the ships are very anemic in their performances.

Edited by NeutralState

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I would agree with this point 100%!  DeGrasse is a very fun ship that is well rounded (guns, torps, agility, speed boost), if not exceptional at any one thing.  Tier 6 cruisers are not really relaxing for me to play (since you are food), but I take DeGrasse out pretty much every day.

15 minutes ago, Admiral_Reeves said:

DeGrasse is one of the best Cruiser premiums for there tier in the game so if you can Definitely DeGrasse

• Cool 1

[TAFY3]
Members
331 posts
7,120 battles
2 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

I would agree with this point 100%!  DeGrasse is a very fun ship that is well rounded (guns, torps, agility, speed boost), if not exceptional at any one thing.  Tier 6 cruisers are not really relaxing for me to play (since you are food), but I take DeGrasse out pretty much every day.

agree about ca's not being relaxing to play, pure pucker factor from start to finish.  I play cruisers when I need some white-knuckle, pulse pounding excitement in my gameplay!

[BNKR]
Members
98 posts
2,895 battles

Having both, I’d recommend th De Grasse over the D’Aosta. She has much better HE, good AP, 9km torps, surprisingly trollish armor (spaced armor) and can dance quite well. Plus there is already a French cruiser line and a pending French BB line to train captains for. 

All that said, I do love my D’Aosta. She really could use a RoF buff and her HE is, well, slightly better than harsh language.

Beta Testers
47 posts
2,279 battles

While the DeGrasse is statistically flat out better, when it comes to personal preference I really enjoy the Duca. 

It's fast, mobile, and has terrific gun arcs. Do the usual HE spam, and you can do amazing, as long as you stay at arm's reach. The long-range, slow as shite torpedoes are oddly fun. No one expects to be reached out and touched by them, it seems, and I've punished/gotten lucky with them more than a few times. As mentioned, it's pure paper, so you need to have your head on a swivel and be dodging like a champ.

Also, it's prettier. :)

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

grass if you want to do good Duca if you want to have fun ruining cruisers day with your AP I have gotten 10k+ salvos against cruisers in my Duca

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,718 posts
4,517 battles

Duca is where the skill ceiling goes through the roof. You wanna learn how to cruiser, you get the Duca. 

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Inspired by this thread, I just took DeGrasse out.  It so happens that she is what I finished up with last night because I am trying to get my French captain for Saint-Louis to 19 points.  This is a typical, but not great top tier game.  If I hit one more shot before a Cleveland teammate, I would have had 5 kills.  I would add to what I said above that she also earns good credits for a tier 6 premium, too.  I do wish her AA was a bit stronger, but with DF and a fighter up, it is passable.

DeGrasse.JPG

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,666 posts
9,977 battles

De Grasse is better, but WG were pretty shady in just making her a better La Galissoniere, and I don't think that should be supported.

• Bad 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,701 posts
3,864 battles

De Grasse gets you a captain trainer.  The Duca D'Aosta has not tech tree, so nowhere to move the captain.  Plus its HE is all but useless.  The long range slowpedoes the Duca uses can sometimes bring some lols.  Fire them in the general direction of the enemy and sometimes they blunder into them.  I've scored torp hits that were so delayed I had forgotten I even launched them.  Duca has great guns.  

De Grasse is the more practical of the two.  Duca is a high risk. high reward bote.  

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,758 battles

You put the Torpedo acceleration mod on the Duca, knocks them down to 9.6 km so the speed is then 56 knots... Not THAT bad. Sim's torpedos are 9.2km at 49 knots I believe, now that's bad. Duca is a significantly faster ship in general by the way. Here's a comparison stat's wise.

http://bit.ly/2shC42L

I haven't play either much, although I have both... I do remember the Duca feeling a lot more agile. Duca has 2km shorter gun range and weaker HE fire. Duca has a spotting plane for increased range though, De Grasse doesn't. Anti-air wise, Degrasse's is a little further range but it's nothing to write home about... Duca's AA isn't that good past 3.5km, but AT 3.5km, it's AA is much better then the de grasse. I think both have defensive fire, it seems like the Duca will win big in that department. More agile, combined with better AA should cause torpedo bombers to go into panick mode. I'd do the AA range mod on her over Aiming systems to get that 3.5km to 4.2km. Duca's torpedo reload is only 71 seconds, interesting... I never noticed that. De Grasses is a generic 90s... Much less usable unfortunately. Atleast they hit a little harder.

Honestly, the Duca may have lower DPM... But you'll be actually hitting targets more often because of the nice projectile speeds. IFHE on her would be nice, combined with concealment. This is what it boils down to I think... De Grasse is better if you have a low skill captain. If you have a 14+ point captain, Duca is better. I'm tempted to respec my captain and do the torpedo reload captain skill, it goes down to 63 seconds!! Since Duca is agile, it wouldn't bee too much trouble to launch one side, then spin around and toss the other set as well.

I'm gunna go play them right now actually.

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach