You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
boots11234

is that shiip moving towards me or away?...or is it stationary...noob question

23 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
Members
8 posts
8,227 battles

So im looking through binoculars at a ship directly pointing at me.  Say its far away, how  i can i tell if its stationary, moving towards me or moving away?  I know if its a side angle you can tell by the smoke however how about when its pointing right at you? 

[TAFY3]
Members
331 posts
7,114 battles

Very difficult to see the smoke at that angle, so I often hit the X key to select the ship and point my pipper nearby to see if he moves closer or farther in relation to it.  More often then not, I try to use intuition on what I think he's thinking.  It mostly happens with BBs.  They move up toward the cap while bow-tanking and slow down.  99% of the time they think they will be cheeky and back up.  I anticipate that and shoot behind them nearly every time.  I hope this helps!

[POP]
Members
173 posts
5,362 battles

Smoke or minimap.  You can see if the range to target is increasing or decreasing.

Not supposed to be easy.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
930 posts
10,345 battles

Look at the ship relative to the waves on the water. Your binocs are locked on to and following the ship, so you can tell which way the ship is moving by looking at how the ship is moving relative to the water. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
17 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

So im looking through binoculars at a ship directly pointing at me.  Say its far away, how  i can i tell if its stationary, moving towards me or moving away?  I know if its a side angle you can tell by the smoke however how about when its pointing right at you? 

its tough when its bow on or stern on to you.  spotter airplanes help a lot.  if there is a slight angle than your torp indicator fan can also help.  Otherwise its fire and adjust...watch your fall of shot...this will tell you which direction they are going 

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

use the range as your guide, will take practice, but useful. many times you may have to wait several seconds to figure out is he still backing up or stopping and moving forward.

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Look at the ship's smoke, or observe the ship's movement relative to any other objects in view, and zoom out if you have to.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,524 battles

Bow on you can still use the smoke to see it just takes practice. If at high tier and its a BB odds on its going so slow you can aim at the super structure and adjust fire. 

[S0L0]
Members
204 posts
5,275 battles

If you have more then 2 turrets ready to fire, then just fire one in front, and one in back. Which ever landed is where you need to aim a full slavo at the next reload. Works best with rapid fire cruisers, battleships might only have that one window of opportunity to fire so do what's but in a given situation. The advice is great here :)

[SPTR]
Members
25,613 posts
10,802 battles

If your ship has torpedoes, use the torpedo aim indicator to help you understand the enemy's direction of travel.

[ICLAD]
[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
30 posts
9,059 battles

There is a shell flight time counter on binocular view.  If the time gets shorter and you are not moving closer yourself he is moving to you.  Its not foolproof but can be used in some cases.

• Cool 1

[MCGA]
Beta Testers
148 posts
8,732 battles

1. Smoke and minimap, as everyone tells

2.  Just fire your gun once, and press Z or according key to use camera that follows the shell--it has very limited view angle, but still you can move it.
     before landing, you should be able to see the targeted ship close enough, you can see how its smoke moving much better from binocular view.

3.  Intuition!

Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles

I sometimes double tap the 'M' key to quickly bring up the tactical map.

This causes the camera to elevate slightly, while not bringing up the full map, then returns the camera to the ships position. It can give you a quick 'birds eye view' like with the spotter plane so you can determine the direction of travel. It also works well for spotting the waterline of a ship that's obscured by a low island you can shoot over, just so you know exactly where to place the line on the reticule.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,024 posts

There is a technical term for ships that are stationary.

That term is: LUNCH.

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

If they're close to an island, you can move the on-screen line to their bow and see how the line moves on the terrain. This can work even if they're a ways away from an island since you can zoom out.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

There is a mod in Aslains modpack that'll show you the direction a ship is heading.

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,507 battles

When you're in a ship that has torps, you can toggle your torps and use the guidelines showing you where to launch as an easy way to help tell the enemy ship's direction and speed before toggling back to your guns to fire. I use this all the time when trying to hit someone that is highly angled and moving too slow to figure out their direction easily at long-range

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,803 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, boots11234 said:

If you enable the Alternative Battlefield Interface in Settings, then it shows the distance between you and the ship underneath the health bar. You can use this to decide if it's moving towards you (ie: it's getting closer) stationary (not changing), or retreating (it's getting farther away slowly).
   Keep in-mind that you will have to account for your speed as well. If you're moving away from a target that's slower than you, the distance will still increase regardless of whether its moving closer to or away from you; likewise, if its retreating and you are following it (and are still faster), then the distance will still decrease. The key is how fast the distance decreases/increases, and this is something you'll have to get a feel for by playing.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Middle right next to map.

This is an older version, but you get the idea.

post-501112274-0-30457900-1453895538.jpg

Edited by Wulfgarn

[PIZZA]
Members
8 posts
8,227 battles

So many good tips in here!  Thanks to all.  I will try them all and see what works for me.  Thanks again!!

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles

If the ship you are trying to shoot at is towards the center of the map, you can repeatedly hit M to get a slightly higher view as the camera moves to the top-down map of autopilot, similar to how some people do this to peek over islands.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

if youre in a ship with torp tube, use the direction of torpedo indicator to tell its direction of motion

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Alternative Interface Mode set to full will place a range detector in your site at the reticle, if the number increases the ship is moving away from you and vice versa .