You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HowitzerBlitzer

VMF national battleship flavour revealed?

21 comments in this topic

Members
1,913 posts
2,492 battles

From what I'm able to go off of, it looks like their battleships will have the special ability to get weighted as cruisers in the queue for battle! Looks like WG finally has a way to increase cruiser population while maintaining a battleship meta!

What do you guys think? I'm digging these new changes just like the dancing queen.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

No actual Soviet bbs are gonna have double the hp of battleships of the same tier

• Funny 1

[POP]
Members
538 posts
11,598 battles

h0w w1ll 7h47 b4l4nc3 c0rr3c7ly w17h 7h3 b4d d15p3r510n?

[POP]
Members
538 posts
11,598 battles
2 minutes ago, Merlox said:

The Russian BB Gimmick. "Counts as Cruiser"

Because Russian cruisers count as BB now :)

ST, Soviet cruiser Kronshtadt, tier IX

Hit points – 82300. Plating - 25 mm. Armor belt – 230 mm. Torpedo damage reduction – 34%.

Main battery - 3х3 305 mm. Firing range – 18.2 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 4200. Chance to cause fire – 24%. Maximum AP shell damage - 9000. Reload time - 20 s. 180 degree rotation time - 35.3 s. Maximum dispersion - 242 m. HE initial velocity - 920 m/s. AP initial velocity - 900 m/s. Sigma value – 1.8.

Maximum speed - 33.5 kt. Turning circle radius - 840 m. Rudder shift time – 14.9 s. Surface detectability – 14.3 km. Air detectability – 13 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 11.4 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Defensive AA Fire/Hydroacoustic Search

Slot 3 - Spotting Aircraft

Slot 4 - Repair Party

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers.

The numbers here are preliminary and are subject to change during the ship's testing!

[CUTE]
Members
5,161 posts
3,436 battles

The actual Russian Battleship consumable will launch a smaller Battleship that will fight alongside you as your pet for the duration of the skill. Or Paladin Bubble. Haven't decided which will sell better yet.

Beta Testers
1,301 posts
3,583 battles

what a dumb idea from WG never actually taking the time to model USS Alaska which would have had a stronger showing since it has been requested since beta days and is similar to this design. Not one but two cruisers with 305 mm guns are kidding me wargaming. We asked for one ship over and over again and yet you all thought we wanted some fantasy crap. I'm a bit disappointed in you @Pigeon_of_War @SuperNikoPower @Sub_Octavian count me out with putting money in until you fix this mess. Your the ones responsible for gathering community feedback yet your irresponsibly ignored what the community requested. I'm sure the Russian community will be overjoyed. but what about the EU, NA, and Asia communities for a company that is a global one you sure do a good job not catering to some of the biggest audiences. As some have pointed out they're British designs that got built American designs that got built  yet you go with not one but two Fantasy cruisers only existing on paper. While I like your game I don't take kindly to seeing the kind people on these forums getting ignored for one of their biggest requests USS Alaska. Stop messing around with fire it burns and broils.

• Bad 2

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles

Someone else (don't remember who) said it best the last time this subject came up:

"The Russian battleship line's gimmick is that it gets to exist."

:cap_tea:

• Funny 3

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, Canadatron said:

The actual Russian Battleship consumable will launch a smaller Battleship that will fight alongside you as your pet for the duration of the skill. Or Paladin Bubble. Haven't decided which will sell better yet.

is the lil' one like a dæmon BB?

[VVV]
Beta Testers
799 posts
5,155 battles

They need to add a new class, A class that should have been around forever. Battle Cruiser. Now more then ever they have a chance to make some lines for them. We already have a number of them in the game. I don't get what the big deal is. They aren't Cruisers, and shouldn't be classed in game as one. Nor should they be classed as a BB.

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
6 minutes ago, Naviss said:

They need to add a new class, A class that should have been around forever. Battle Cruiser. Now more then ever they have a chance to make some lines for them. We already have a number of them in the game. I don't get what the big deal is. They aren't Cruisers, and shouldn't be classed in game as one. Nor should they be classed as a BB.

For four reasons, really: 1. historically, only two nations ever built more than one or two classes; 2. they were never able to live up to the hype their proponents lent them; 3. the game as a whole would be even more difficult to keep in some semblance of balance; and finally 4. they can simply be added in as secondary battleship lines, with appropriate descriptions in keeping with the theme of a "battlecruiser" branch of the tech tree.

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha
I cannot brain today; I has the dumb.

[AXANR]
Members
3,361 posts
16,547 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

what a dumb idea from WG never actually taking the time to model USS Alaska which would have had a stronger showing since it has been requested since beta days and is similar to this design. Not one but two cruisers with 305 mm guns are kidding me wargaming. We asked for one ship over and over again and yet you all thought we wanted some fantasy crap. I'm a bit disappointed in you @Pigeon_of_War @SuperNikoPower @Sub_Octavian count me out with putting money in until you fix this mess. Your the ones responsible for gathering community feedback yet your irresponsibly ignored what the community requested. I'm sure the Russian community will be overjoyed. but what about the EU, NA, and Asia communities for a company that is a global one you sure do a good job not catering to some of the biggest audiences. As some have pointed out they're British designs that got built American designs that got built  yet you go with not one but two Fantasy cruisers only existing on paper. While I like your game I don't take kindly to seeing the kind people on these forums getting ignored for one of their biggest requests USS Alaska. Stop messing around with fire it burns and broils.

Calm down, take a deep breath, realize that the 'omg imma stop spending money until you do what i say' gambit rarely makes you look anything but childish in a global game where any decisions the developers make will please some and disappoint others, and learn to use punctuation and something resembling standard English. 

Now then, you're aware that the RU and EU servers are actually more profitable and have higher player populations than NA, right? So WG is going to cater to them as much as to us. And while the Chinese server is independent of WG, it's still a profit center as the company that runs it pays WG for the game. So WG is going to develop ships and lines that cater to those populations, not just NA players. And even amongst NA players, many players don't care as much about whether a ship is historical, they just want fun ships. USN had a fully fleshed out tech tree earlier than anyone else, they get lots of premiums, and have a new cruiser line coming out. Russia has only a DD line, a cruiser line, and some premiums. Yes, much of a Russian tree will be paper or fictional, but the Russian server is popular and WG is a business, they develop content to make money. 

Another thing: USS Alaska IS highly requested and if they botch the balancing or rollout, the NA server will blow up, just like they did for the Alabama fiasco. So releasing a similar ship that isn't the Alaska first is a smart thing for WG, as the lessons learned will enable them to release Alaska (a notoriously difficult to balance ship as it doesn't fit neatly in the game as a BB or cruiser) in a more balanced and fun way. It's not only smart for WG to avoid a controversy, it's better for us, since many players (including me) can't wait for Alaska and want a ship that's competitive without being overpowered or underpowered. 

TL;DR: Go sit down and chill, your post is ridiculously overwrought. 

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
369 posts
8,978 battles
2 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

Someone else (don't remember who) said it best the last time this subject came up:

"The Russian battleship line's gimmick is that it gets to exist."

:cap_tea:

This guy gets it :cap_like:

[VVV]
Beta Testers
799 posts
5,155 battles
3 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

For four reasons, really: 1. historically, only two nations ever built more than one or two classes; 2. they were never able to live up to the hype their proponents lent them; 3. the game as a whole would be even more difficult to keep in some semblance of balance; and finally 4. they can simply be added in as secondary battleship lines, with appropriate descriptions in keeping with the theme of a "battlecruiser" branch of the tech tree.

1. Historically? Eh. I think WG lost that battle when they added mostly full paper lines in the game and Tier X's that are mix mashups of many different paper ships, along with gimmicks that only a game would do (RN BBs).  2. In real life sure. We're talking about a game that a DD can kill a BB while sitting still in front of it taking round after round. Seems legit. 3. Balance? LOL Since when was this game ever balanced out of beta? Or even remotely close. 4. I'm sure that's what they will keep doing, But if they go the way of adding these battle cruiser as cruisers, I can see it skewing the whole team make up balance thing. If you have a limit of 1 BB in ranked or clan battles and these new battle cruisers are just as powerful as a BB, yet they count as a CA then it could be a issue. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
5 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

No actual Soviet bbs are gonna have double the hp of battleships of the same tier

Haven't you heard? "In Soviet Russia our battleships are bigger than yours!"

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I thought they were going to have armor piercing high explosive shells that never over pen.

Members
5,001 posts
60 battles

From my BB line thread:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/78189-russian-irnsoviet-vmf-battleship-line-–-recovery-from-wounded-pride-stalins-envisioned-ultimate-warship-for-the-ocean-going-navy/

Imperial Russian (Tier III - VII):

• From Tier III Tagnarog to Tier VI Izmail, they got weak secondaries. They got 120mm - 130mm casemate guns instead of 152mm/15cm/6-in guns you typically see on BBs.
  • Many Imperial Russian ships have weak armor.
  • Good top speed.
  • May have excellent AA firepower when upgraded in general.
  • Decent main guns with excellent ballistics parameters, with AP shells being potentially better than British counterparts.
  • HE shells may be good.
  • Until Tier VII Imperator Pavel I, the great stuffs began. Beside decent 16" British main gun, he'll have better secondaries & better armored with good torpedo protection.

Soviet (Tier VIII - X):

• They'll be the most resilient (highest HP), armored & protected (highest torpedo protection ratings).
  • Excellent main guns parameters, both ballistics, turrets' traverse rate & armor.
  • APs may not be as powerful as German ones, but they can do just as great.
  • In terms of secondary armaments, they're lightly armed compare to the German counterparts.
  • Will have strong AA firepower comparable with the US counterparts.
  • Decent top speed.
  • Rudder shift might be a bit of a problem due to longer propeller shafts, thus longer hull and hence larger profile.
  • Pr. 24 - Pyotr Veliky is the most lightly-armed because of 3 16-in main turrets instead of 4 by original specs, but the highest rate of fire could compensate it.

With the release of Roma, I made the most recent update:

So far for Pr. 21 & Pr. 23 - Sovetsky Soyuz:

• Pugiliese torpedo defense system is gonna be decent. For the Pr. 21 & Pr. 23, expect their torpedo protection value to be slightly higher than Roma's due to larger size.
  • Roma's shell dispersion may need to keep in mind, as it could affect the Soviet's 406mm shells as well, unless the MK-1M turret upgrade could hopefully overcome the dispersion problem in a large margin.
  • Italian secondaries are not quite relevant to this, but rather likely to match with the German's counterparts in range & firepower (total DPS is unlikely due to having fewer guns than German's).
  • AA loadouts in base specs for both Pr. 21 & Pr. 23 are either be marginally better or worse. But upgraded loadouts are clearly out of question if look at how the Soviet cruisers' AA loadouts work with their AA parameters optimized.
  • Maneuverability might be marginally better albeit being slower.
  • Armor is clearly out of question, as they are going to be the tankiest BBs in their tiers.
  • Concealment is also out of question, cause they are obviously big in size.

Members
1,134 posts
6,726 battles
7 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

don't forget the radar and smoke they will get on top of their rail guns.