You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
boots11234

noob questions

15 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
Members
8 posts
8,299 battles

What doe the four symbols mean in the lower right corner mean when you hit a ship?  one shows a shell with two red lines. One is a broken shell.  And two others.  I know one is non pen, one is pen, one is over pen and not sure of the other.  Can someone tell me what each means?

When looking through normal view there are 'ticks' horizontally, how far is each tick?  

How do you judge range in general?

When someone showing broadside how do you know when to use AP?  Is there a link someone can provide to calculate pen vs armor?   For example when in Leningrad which has good guns, how do i know which ships i will have a good chance to pen with AP?

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,053 battles
9 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

What doe the four symbols mean in the lower right corner mean when you hit a ship?  one shows a shell with two red lines. One is a broken shell.  And two others.  I know one is non pen, one is pen, one is over pen and not sure of the other.  Can someone tell me what each means?

When looking through normal view there are 'ticks' horizontally, how far is each tick?  

How do you judge range in general?

When someone showing broadside how do you know when to use AP?  Is there a link someone can provide to calculate pen vs armor?   For example when in Leningrad which has good guns, how do i know which ships i will have a good chance to pen with AP?

WG's great in game information system.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,581 posts
3,918 battles

First recommendation:  Go into settings, on the last tab find the Enable Alternative Battle Interface dropdown.  I think you want to select "Full" or "Always", whatever word in the drop down that sounds most permanent - that's the one you want to pick.

Now, when you're in battle, you'll always have two numbers just next to your point of aim: Range to target, and shell flight time to target.

I use the dynamic crosshairs, that way the vertical numbers scale to my zoom level.  No matter what zoom I'm at, the numbers should correctly track the lead for a ship doing 30 knots exactly perpendicular to my view.  With the shell flight time sitting right next to that, all I need to correct for is difference in target speed, and angle of attack.  The most important thing to know here is that you do not need to correct high or low for an approaching or retreating target nearly as much as you would think.

Notser's Dynamic Crosshairs vid (linked above by @EmptyWallet) is a good guide to using the dynamic crosshairs.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,402 posts
5,815 battles
26 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

In a Leningrad (in any destroyer, really), you generally want to stick with HE from long range.  At close/medium range, AP becomes the better option against any cruiser which shows you a broadside--you'll pen just about everything and can citadel many cruisers.  AP is also an option against battleships, even at long range, when they are already burning and showing you some side; in this case you won't often penetrate the armor belts on the side of the hull, but you can do significant damage by firing into their lightly armored superstructure.  In almost all instances you want to fire HE at other destroyers; even if your AP might do more raw damage, knocking out modules and forcing damage control has a greater impact on a DD vs. on other ship types.

It is possible to do the math & determine exactly which ships can pen which other ships & where, but some of the values needed can only be found in the game files themselves (they aren't displayed anywhere in-game or in the official wiki); these values can be found with a bit of searching, but I don't have a link handy.  I'm not a huge fan of math anyway, and have generally found that experimentation and experience teach me where to shoot in order to get consistent penetrations.  In most cases the reload on your guns is fast enough that bouncing a single salvo against a tougher-than-expected foe isn't going to mean the difference between life & death for you.

[PIZZA]
Members
8 posts
8,299 battles

I've already selected improved crosshairs when in binocular mode however when not in that mode there are vertical lines.  What distances are those?  Im mainly asking because of smoke.  when someone pops smoke out in the open Im trying to judge if my torps will make it to the smoke or not.  Any ideas how to judge this? 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
701 posts
11,728 battles
38 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

I've already selected improved crosshairs when in binocular mode however when not in that mode there are vertical lines.  What distances are those?  Im mainly asking because of smoke.  when someone pops smoke out in the open Im trying to judge if my torps will make it to the smoke or not.  Any ideas how to judge this? 

If you have the alternate battle interface active there will be a marker on your mini-map for the last known position of a ship that vanishes from view due to hiding in smoke. You can press your 3 key, activating your torpedoes, then check the range circle surrounding your ship on the mini-map (if not active, you can activate it using the little gears above the mini-map) to get some idea of whether your torpedoes have the range to hit the last known position of the now smoked target. I hope that makes sense.

Respects,

Am

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,581 posts
3,918 battles
1 hour ago, boots11234 said:

Bring up your torpedoes - the light green swath that indicates your launch vector has a far end to it.  That far end is the maximum range of the torpedo run.  If it goes through the smoke, your torpedoes will too.  If the smoke is too close to render when you have your torpedoes selected, it's a safe bet you have the range.

BTW, good on ya for getting in here and asking these noob questions!  Have a +1.

1,266 posts
13 battles

Hi all, thanks for posting such helpful links and information!  Good luck out there @boots11234.

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
232 posts
3,256 battles

Not to high jack this thread, but as long as we're answering noob questions, could someone please tell me what the hell a "UNICUM" is?

Members
3,415 posts
6,082 battles
12 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

Not to high jack this thred, but as long as we're answering noob questions, could someone please tell me what the hell a "UNICUM" is?

A very good good player as noted at the website:  https://na.warships.today

The site tries to quantify how good a player with its own algorithm using data from WarGaming.

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
232 posts
3,256 battles
11 hours ago, CylonRed said:

A very good good player as noted at the website:  https://na.warships.today

The site tries to quantify how good a player with its own algorithm using data from WarGaming.

but is "unicum" an acronym? why not just call really good players "great players"? 

Members
3,415 posts
6,082 battles
35 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

but is "unicum" an acronym? why not just call really good players "great players"? 

No acronym that I know of - the step before unicum is great player.