You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GreenflameAW

IFHE on the Donskoi

15 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
1,845 battles

Having recently got the Donskoi, I'm wondering whether or not IFHE has any effect on its 180mm guns. For reference, I'm using http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration as my source for HE penetration. Without IFHE, 30mm armor is required to shatter Donskoi's 180mm shells. With IFHE, you need 39mm of armor (so everything 38mm or less will be penned by Donskoi).

Japanese BBs: Nagato has 28mm deck armor and will be penned without IFHE, but Amagi and Izumo both have 32mm decks that will shatter your shells if you don't have IFHE. Yamato's deck will shatter both, except for the 32mm plating at its endpoints. However, you can pen Yamato's large superstructure with ease.

American BBs: From North Carolina onwards, IFHE will pen the 37mm decks, but regular HE will shatter. However, the USN BBs have a pretty big superstructure.

German BBs: The deck armor of German BBs is 50mm, so you won't be penetrating these at all. While they do have thinner 32mm endpoints, you should be aiming for their superstructures.

British BBs: The KGV is pennable without IFHE. From Monarch upwards you have 32mm decks but hit-able superstructures.

So what's the verdict here? IFHE will help you pen plenty of decks, but superstructures are also very viable targets. And if IFHE isn't worth it, what captain skills are better?

[SPTR]
Members
3,453 posts
5,649 battles

I think with the amount of Missouri and Montana that we are facing in the MM now, IFHE is a good choice...

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles

Yes, IFHE does benefit Donskoi HE shells.

However, be aware that IFHE becomes completely useless once you get to Moskva, if you plan on moving that commander up.

Beta Testers
1,561 posts
3,887 battles
23 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yes, IFHE does benefit Donskoi HE shells.

However, be aware that IFHE becomes completely useless once you get to Moskva, if you plan on moving that commander up.

Which is why I'll be putting that captain back on the Shchors once I'm done with Donskoi.  It'll be rough putting a new commander in a tier 10, but I may have some tricks to pull to help that out by then.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
310 posts
11,606 battles

Donskoi is in an odd spot. Either you go with IFHE or DE.  Or you can go both. But you will need either one or both. Without either one, this ship has a hard time doing damage.

[WAG]
Members
368 posts
7,252 battles

I saw a huge improvement in my damage once I added IFHE. 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

While IFHE will not effect Moskva's MB to surpass thresholds it cannot reach. If you happen to have a Secondary Loadout it will assist with the DP 130s against some targets. 

Could be something interesting outside the usual min / max style of play. 

Your leveling a non IFHE commander on the side anyways. 

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,342 battles

I went with full AA build on my Donskoi and got AFT instead of IFHE on my 12 point captain. But I want to Redistribute my points considering how rare CVs are nowadays and get IFHE for my 4 point skill.

If I redistribute will I lose my progress for point 13? (I'm 77,950/108,000)

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
2 minutes ago, flufflyfatcat said:

I went with full AA build on my Donskoi and got AFT instead of IFHE on my 12 point captain. But I want to Redistribute my points considering how rare CVs are nowadays and get IFHE for my 4 point skill.

If I redistribute will I lose my progress for point 13? (I'm 77,950/108,000)

Just hold out a few days. Think I just saw a post about free resets between Feb 10-16. 

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,342 battles
3 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

Just hold out a few days. Think I just saw a post about free resets between Feb 10-16. 

It's already happening! Just redistributed and I'll see how it plays.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,707 posts
9,376 battles
8 hours ago, flufflyfatcat said:

Just redistributed and I'll see how it plays

how is it play out so far???

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,342 battles
7 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

how is it play out so far???

I've only played a few games so far but it seems much easier to damage targets now.