Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Hints and Tips to Be a Better Player - Help an Ensign

15 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles

It is my hope that this guide will help some players out there that might be struggling to reach the level.  Even if you are that "good" player, this is a good checklist to go over if you are in a rut to make sure you are doing the things you need to be doing.  Or, you can pass it on to others in need of help.  This is neither definitive not complete, and I hope to expand on it in the future.

• Cool 5

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Thanks Zoup, now I have something to watch when I get off work.:Smile_honoring:

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Oh, good.  A new one.  Interesting that you made this right after the "King of the Sea" finals yesterday.  I was thinking of "chess moves" when watching those matches. 

I did have to put a chair right in front of the TV screen so I could read the Mini-Map in spite of the casters use of the overhead view.  I wonder if WGing has plans of ever giving us the ability to move the Mini-Map to a second monitor?

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
11 minutes ago, surratus said:

Oh, good.  A new one.  Interesting that you made this right after the "King of the Sea" finals yesterday.  I was thinking of "chess moves" when watching those matches. 

I did have to put a chair right in front of the TV screen so I could read the Mini-Map in spite of the casters use of the overhead view.  I wonder if WGing has plans of ever giving us the ability to move the Mini-Map to a second monitor?

That would actually be a very cool idea...  or at least make it a little larger.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,972 posts
6,570 battles

Thinking of it as a game of chess is a huge difference than an FPS.

In a FPS, you can "get away" with yolo-trade types of things. In any strategy game, that results in you losing badly (just like WoWS).

As much as people like to consider WoWS a shooter type game it's much more strategic and complex than most people give credit.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
25 minutes ago, surratus said:

I'd be happy if I could hit a key and get a large, near full screen mini-map.  NOT like what you get when you hit the 'M' key.  I hate the time wasting transition between the two screen.  What I'd like is to be able to hit, let's say, the 'M' key and have the mini-map instantly (no silly, time wasting, map rotating transition) expand out to, oh, about 3/4's of a full screen.  And the mini-map only stays expanded as long as you held the 'M' key.  Release the key, and everything returns to normal.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

That salvo on the Minotaur with the Montana... At first you made me angry, sad, dissapointed, because I thought you left out the devastating strike. Luckily all ended well :)

Nice video. Knowing when not to shoot is a lesson more people should know :)

Edited by joris92

[TOG]
Members
2,369 posts
14,622 battles

Anyone can improve in their game. A couple of things to expound on your video:

1. Survival: The longer you survive , the bigger impact you will have on the game.  It does not mean running to the border and hiding. It means knowing when to engage and more importantly when not to.

2. Situational awareness. Sometimes, the salvo that kills you is the salvo coming from a ship you were not aware of. It's not as bad as before no gun bloom, but it still happens. The mini map is your best friend for that. Hit the plus button 1-2 times to enlarge it. Set it up so that you have the ranges of your detection, AA and secondaries, depending on what ship class you're driving. I recommend Aisland mods for more detailed information. hitting the rmb button for time to time to look around is also helpful.

3. Priority targeting: Something you didn't touch on. DD's and CA's before BB's as a guideline. Why? DD's and CA's are not health sponges as a general rule. Every HP they lose, they cannot get back.    

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
18 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Anyone can improve in their game. A couple of things to expound on your video:

1. Survival: The longer you survive , the bigger impact you will have on the game.  It does not mean running to the border and hiding. It means knowing when to engage and more importantly when not to.

2. Situational awareness. Sometimes, the salvo that kills you is the salvo coming from a ship you were not aware of. It's not as bad as before no gun bloom, but it still happens. The mini map is your best friend for that. Hit the plus button 1-2 times to enlarge it. Set it up so that you have the ranges of your detection, AA and secondaries, depending on what ship class you're driving. I recommend Aisland mods for more detailed information. hitting the rmb button for time to time to look around is also helpful.

3. Priority targeting: Something you didn't touch on. DD's and CA's before BB's as a guideline. Why? DD's and CA's are not health sponges as a general rule. Every HP they lose, they cannot get back.    

Yep... CAs are the best class of ship to learn the game with.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

Things don't go well when I think about what I'm doing in game

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
24 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Things don't go well when I think about what I'm doing in game

Lol.  That usually happens to me if I'm streaming.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,050 battles

wows replay site now has the function to automatically convert a replay into a youtube video.

People should utilize that function more. Upload replay to that site, link the auto generated video here, and people can quickly watch the video and make comments.

Why not lobby WG to add a forum tag, "experienced", or something along that line, awarded to players with above average performance stats. So when people do make "help me this is my replay" posts, they know who's comment is more "valuable".

Edited by NeutralState

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
19 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

wows replay site now has the function to automatically convert a replay into a youtube video.

People should utilize that function more. Upload replay to that site, link the auto generated video here, and people can quickly watch the video and make comments.

Why not lobby WG to add a forum tag, "experienced", or something along that line, awarded to players with above average performance stats. So when people do make "help me this is my replay" posts, they know who's comment is more "valuable".

I like the sentiment behind this, but sadly I think it would be misused.  The last thing this community needs is to segment players by skill.  While the vast majority of players would use it for good, I feel a select few might use it as a way to segregate the community and use it as "Your opinion isn't valid."

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
25 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Which website let's you do this and how please? Would save a lot of effort recording replays

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,050 battles
3 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Which website let's you do this and how please? Would save a lot of effort recording replays

https://replayswows.com/

Uploaded a minotaur replay a few weeks back, last week surprisingly saw the website generated a video from it.

Sign in to follow this