You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ACEpickles

<100ms V.S. >200ms Gameplay Question

10 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Beta Testers
313 posts
14,370 battles

Just a question for the experts: At the competitive level, If 1 team has home server advantage <100ms ping. Will that be an advantage over a team with >200ms ping with accuracy in shooting and acft maneuvering? I have noticed when I play on the PTS, torps will pass underneath ships with not hits, and shot groupings that look perfect to me miss completely. Acft squads are there 1 second and missing the next. What do you think?

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

In my experience, this game is really difficult to play with more than 160ms ping.

Unless, of course, you area already used to playing with 200ms ping, which is much of the Euro and SA and Asia players.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If it's a CV game, the CV with the worse ping will be at a serious disadvantage. The strafe battle is equal parts skill and connection.

Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

No the game is being played in the server not your PC. You are there as the control input. All you do is aim and fire, the mechanics after that occur in the server.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,984 posts
12,488 battles
6 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

All you do is aim and fire, the mechanics after that occur in the server.

While this is technically true, you aim and fire at the things you see locally. With sufficient latency this means things aren't quite where they seem to be on your screen, according to the server.

200+ and you're really starting to see / feel the effects. That's almost half a second between you giving a command and you receiving the results back from the server. Firing half a second sooner or later can be the difference between life and death, in certain CQC situations and it affects the game in general, though at a much lower rate than it would a twitch shooter like COD or BF.

That said, I'd rather have 150 ping and stable than 20 ~ 100 ping wildly fluctuating.

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
245 posts
8,198 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

While this is technically true, you aim and fire at the things you see locally. With sufficient latency this means things aren't quite where they seem to be on your screen, according to the server.

200+ and you're really starting to see / feel the effects. That's almost half a second between you giving a command and you receiving the results back from the server. Firing half a second sooner or later can be the difference between life and death, in certain CQC situations and it affects the game in general, though at a much lower rate than it would a twitch shooter like COD or BF.

That said, I'd rather have 150 ping and stable than 20 ~ 100 ping wildly fluctuating.

This
The game becomes really cumbersome to play at 250+ ms because the shots will lag between your double click and the guns actually firing

At 120ms which is my usual ping, surface ships are entirely playable. CVs are annoying to deal with, mostly because of how garbage the UI is - everything lags, from selecting squadrons to orders you give actually appearing on screen

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,706 posts
3,468 battles

It makes a larger difference the more percise you have to be in any game.

At a competitive level for instance Counter-Strike players generally set 40 as the highest amount of latency they'll accept, and 60 is noticably worse, 80 is going to easily cost you the game, and 100 is completely unacceptable at the competitive level.

In WoWs, a difference of 100 ping would mean the difference between citadels, hits, misses, bounces, and everything in between.

For CVs you'd basically be unable to respond quickly enough to counter or outplay an opponent, especially one of equal skill level.

I'm CompTia Net+ (That basically means computer networking)certified, I've worked in Network Operation Centers for major American companies, and I've been troubleshooting network issues professionally for roughly a decade.  I also played Counter-Strike (badly) at the league level for a short period of time.

[DENY]
Members
170 posts
6,622 battles

If my ping goes above 40, something is wrong and I'll stop playing. I can't imagine any competitive play at a 200+ ping. That's just crazy.

[OO7]
Members
87 posts
11,244 battles

So used to <40ms pin. In PTS i have 120ms ping, quite unplayable for Random, only comfort play some PvE games.

Members
956 posts
11,178 battles

I play with 160-200 all the time from Korea.  Its noticeable mostly with ship rendering times.  Other than then that, meh not too bad
Just gotta be good.