You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralHattori

Mystery Torpedo Moment

25 comments in this topic

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,115 battles

Well, after all this time I have played WoWS, this one is the first I've seen. Three torpedoes from one spread (not single fire) with my Fiji slam the broadside of the Farragut and somehow he made it out alive after taking 10k damage. I'm well aware of damage saturation when you overkill a certain part of a ship to the point it takes 0 damage but this Farragut was almost full HP so there shouldn't be any saturation and since I used the torpedo spread, it shouldn't hit the same spot of the ship to cause damage saturation (I did deal 10k damage). I'm guessing 1 worked and other 2 hit but had reliability problems eh?

WorldOfWarships 2018-02-05 01-11-42-412.png

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,380 battles

If the Farragut was moving at the right speed and angle, all of the torps could hit the same spot, even if you used a spread.

[SSBN]
Members
290 posts
4,888 battles

There’s a gif out there somewhere of a shimakaze? taking 5 torps from a narrow spread shot at close range and surviving. All five torps hit the same spot.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,189 battles
8 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

There’s a gif out there somewhere of a shimakaze? taking 5 torps from a narrow spread shot at close range and surviving. All five torps hit the same spot.

Any excuse to post this:

cRdsNHO.gif

So OP, it's likely the Farragut's motion made the torps hit the same section for saturation.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,073 posts
8,720 battles

I did have a battle in my Aoba where an enemy Torpedo was either scraping the paint off my hull, somehow passed under my ship ( island I was up against might have lifted my ship up a little ?), or went in the stern and came out the bow harmlessly. 

No idea how I survived that one, but lol talk about luck on tier VI Ranked battle...

it was on the special Ranked map Wargaming added in exclusively for tier VI Ranked.

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

In reference to the title... all torpedo movement is mysterious... we will never understand their ways....

*insert X Files theme*

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles

I generally call this phenomena, 'TROLL RNG'.

I have seen a battleship take three torpedo hits, same spot/side of the tip of the bow sequentially drop it from full health to DEAD.

From a Colorado, I have on occasion single-shotted DDs with AP, and on others, my secondary's wiped them out before I even noticed they were there.

In a DD, I have been 'Devastating Strike'd by single secondary shots off a BB I was attacking.

And I find it very odd that old vid keeps coming up, and yet nobody has ever replicated it in a training room?  I smell photoshop.

In short, it was chosen for you to have a bad day, and the Farragut driver was given a good day.  Don't worry.  Tomorrow, Troll RNG might be on your side.   Enjoy.

[CAST]
Members
1,149 posts
7,138 battles
14 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

And I find it very odd that old vid keeps coming up, and yet nobody has ever replicated it in a training room?  I smell photoshop.

There is a youtube video showing bots continually chasing and shooting a user ship (Yamato).  Because bots are predictable, the player is able to angle and move so that the shots hit the stern of his ship rather than the main body of the ship.  After the initial damage is done, the saturation prevents any further damage from accumulating.  It isn't torps, but shows the same phenomenon.  There is another that shows the torps saturating an area.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Oh, I see @Murcc scooped me here. That's what I get for never learning to type properly.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
280 posts
9,257 battles
4 hours ago, AdmiralHattori said:

Three torpedoes from one spread (not single fire) with my Fiji slam the broadside of the Farragut and somehow he made it out alive after taking 10k damage. I'm well aware of damage saturation when you overkill a certain part of a ship to the point it takes 0 damage but this Farragut was almost full HP so there shouldn't be any saturation and since I used the torpedo spread, it shouldn't hit the same spot of the ship to cause damage saturation (I did deal 10k damage). I'm guessing 1 worked and other 2 hit but had reliability problems eh?

Pffft! Happens all the time to us Marblehead drivers....:Smile-angry:

Edited by bigalow87

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

In a DD, I have been 'Devastating Strike'd by single secondary shots off a BB I was attacking.

I'm finding this one a bit hard to believe... Dev strike?  Not detonation?  Which DD?

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles

I've had the same thing happen with a Farragut, except I was in a DD. They must be hardy little boats

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I'm finding this one a bit hard to believe... Dev strike?  Not detonation?  Which DD?

Can't detonate with the anti-det flag.

But I've been dev-striked by lucky shots all the way across the map, though.

Guy in a Bismarck sinks my Missouri in one salvo, about 1.5 minutes after spawn.  He was amazed how he got 7 citadels in one salvo..  on a german BB... from 18KM...

I was... like ..  yeah..  whatever..  <esc> -leave battle-

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
12 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Can't detonate with the anti-det flag.

But I've been dev-striked by lucky shots all the way across the map, though.

Guy in a Bismarck sinks my Missouri in one salvo, about 1.5 minutes after spawn.  He was amazed how he got 7 citadels in one salvo..  on a german BB... from 18KM...

I was... like ..  yeah..  whatever..  <esc> -leave battle-

yeah I mean we've all been deleted in one salvo now and then... but you said "Devastating Stike'd by single secondary shots".  That's the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles
Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

yeah I mean we've all been deleted in one salvo now and then... but you said "Devastating Stike'd by single secondary shots".  That's the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

Oh yeah..   Happens to me, and I've seen it happen several times to others.  I often hang around after the battle, especially when the score is close.

Friendly DD stalking a BB around an island .. get to the proper firing point..  ZAP -- instantly dead before the torpedoes launch.  I saw one secondary shot hits..  wiped out with one round.  I'm like..   Wow!  That was the whole game right there..  We could have won or lost, but RNG sez...  Nope!!

Now that the training room is more accessible, I'll have to try out 'damage saturation' to see if it happens ---  EVERY TIME -- ..  Everybody should be able to repeat the vid shown.

I've got my Fiji..  Bring me a Farragut !!

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

I just don't see how that's possible.  Even a tier 10 BB should need a handful of secondary hits to drop a full health tier 2 DD.  Unless you've got a replay or a post-battle damage screenshot, I'm going to have to say I think you misunderstood what happened.

As for the damage saturation test, that should be easy.  Bots don't move in the training room anymore.  So set up a bot DD, take your fiji over to it, set torps for single fire, and see what happens!

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[CAST]
Members
1,149 posts
7,138 battles

A single secondary shot only has so much potential damage.  The DD would have to be depleted of health in order for the "devastating strike" to occur.  The strike would still have to be greater than 50% of the starting health of the ship.  So, a devastating strike by a secondary could occur in the right conditions.  Still bad luck.

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
1 minute ago, Murcc said:

A single secondary shot only has so much potential damage.  The DD would have to be depleted of health in order for the "devastating strike" to occur.  The strike would still have to be greater than 50% of the starting health of the ship.  So, a devastating strike by a secondary could occur in the right conditions.  Still bad luck.

Tier 2 V-25 has 6,900 HP.  That was the lowest health of any DD I could find.

Yamato's 155mm secondaries have a maximum damage of 3,300 damage.  So if a V-25 at 51% health (3,519 HP) met a Yamato, it would still take two secondary shots to kill it.  And that's a Tier 2 against a Tier 10.  Anything that might actually beat in a real battle, and it's going to be much more.

[CAST]
Members
1,149 posts
7,138 battles
8 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Tier 2 V-25 has 6,900 HP.  That was the lowest health of any DD I could find.

Yamato's 155mm secondaries have a maximum damage of 3,300 damage.  So if a V-25 at 51% health (3,519 HP) met a Yamato, it would still take two secondary shots to kill it.  And that's a Tier 2 against a Tier 10.  Anything that might actually beat in a real battle, and it's going to be much more.

T3 Konig Albert has a max secondary damage potential of 3700.  If it came up against a half health V-25 with only 3519 HP, it could one shot it.

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
3 minutes ago, Murcc said:

T3 Konig Albert has a max secondary damage potential of 3700.  If it came up against a half health V-25 with only 3519 HP, it could one shot it.

Interesting! I wondered if I could have missed something.  So a T3 ship is the king of alpha secondary damage?

EDIT: I guess those 150mm AP secondaries stay with the German BB line all the way up to Tier 6.

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[CAST]
Members
1,149 posts
7,138 battles
5 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Interesting! I wondered if I could have missed something.  So a T3 ship is the king of alpha secondary damage?

EDIT: I guess those 150mm AP secondaries stay with the German BB line all the way up to Tier 6.

It's still a long shot to do it, just because it suffers from AP arming distance.  To do max damage, I suspect the shot would have to be into the bow or stern of your DD as you were going towards or away from the BB.  

[--V--]
Members
479 posts
10,564 battles
5 hours ago, PelicanHazard said:

Any excuse to post this:

cRdsNHO.gif

So OP, it's likely the Farragut's motion made the torps hit the same section for saturation.

And this is so unrealistic its not even funny.  The Shimmy in this instance would've lost its entire stern, props and be dead in the water.  More 'balance' [edited] from WG I suppose.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles
10 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

And this is so unrealistic its not even funny.  The Shimmy in this instance would've lost its entire stern, props and be dead in the water.  More 'balance' [edited] from WG I suppose.

As per the example cited by the original poster.   Fiji versus Farragut.

And so I went forth into Training Room and sunk about 12 Farraguts.

First thing I realized was that the torpedoes won't start reloading unless I toggle back to guns.  Odd that -- single fire mode.

Fire three torpedoes into the bow or stern.  First one took half the health.  Second took 2/3 of what was left.  And the third took it down to a couple hundred.

Yes, the damage diminished.  But the bots don't hit repair, so they flood out and die.

So the saturation point is around 95% HP for that one section.  Yes, if you can make the enemy beat and beat at ONLY that one section, it will be very frustrating for them.

But if anyone lands a shot outside that area....   bye bye.

I don't see this as anything useful.  I'd say it's a very risky mechanic to try to exploit.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

American made Ships can sail without the bottom of the boat the next deck is water tite. It is better than Stalinium. LOL what Russian Bias?