You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Plaatduutsch

Wha is Your Favorite Torpedoes in the Game?

44 comments in this topic

[C-HAG]
Members
481 posts
7,693 battles

My favorite are the

1. Type 92 that were on the old Minekaze and Kamikaze

1. Mk IX/Mk IX*, which are on the RN ships.

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,662 battles

The ones that never hit me.

Those are my favs.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
1,913 posts
2,492 battles

Those 20km ones on the Japanese tier 10 that have massive detection range. I like those because they actually tell me if they get close, so I don't accidentally run into them.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,795 posts
13,629 battles

The ones that sink a ship you didn't know was there where you aim them at a BB but sink a stealthed DD.

Or the night I sank two Shimas with Yugomo torps in the same place. 

But the best kind are like these, 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,044 posts
8,585 battles

The kind that recognize the mighty awesomeness of my ship and just die in fright.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,227 posts
8,431 battles

The ones that came from the friendly behind me. Those are my favs.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

I like the fletcher torps.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
3 hours ago, pikohan said:

The ones that came from the friendly behind me. Those are my favs.

:Smile_facepalm: oh yeah mine too:Smile_facepalm:

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles

Kagero's 10km 67kts Long Lances...with the boost to bring it up to 72kts 8km range...

The torpedo rating goes down bcos range is crucial to a torpedo suite, but if your concealment is 5.3km, and you've conned your vessel right, they'll never see you until it's too late...

72kts torps, no waiting!

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,373 posts
3,565 battles

Probably any of the RN / USN torps with Torpex and Navol. 

Torpex was such a superior explosive vs the IJN explosives used in the long lance. With aluminum oxide in the warhead in order to prolong the shock wave for a more devastating effect. 

Members
4,465 posts
6,203 battles

The real fast ones....over 60+. I can actually hit with all of them real fast ones on occasion. 

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles
4 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Probably any of the RN / USN torps with Torpex and Navol. 

Torpex was such a superior explosive vs the IJN explosives used in the long lance. With aluminum oxide in the warhead in order to prolong the shock wave for a more devastating effect. 

I didn't know Torpex was in allied torps in WW2.....judging by the name, I would have thought that was a later innovation.....

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,851 posts
4,224 battles

My favorites are either the Shinonome torps or Aircraft-dropped torpedoes.

[PVE]
Members
8,982 posts
7,315 battles
6 hours ago, LukeV said:

The ones that never hit me.

Those are my favs.

I agree.

Also the ones that I fire that hit a red ship.

• Bad 1

[CRMSN]
5,373 posts
3,565 battles
4 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

I didn't know Torpex was in allied torps in WW2.....judging by the name, I would have thought that was a later innovation.....

Yea its quite interesting, the Americans had the Mark 14 with a torpex warhead starting in 1942. 

The advantage was that the explosive power was somewhat closer to the long lance's due HBX being used. 

So you could have a much smaller warhead but it would have comparable explosive power to a long lance. Hence why the MK 16's on the Fletcher are so powerful for their size.  (it should be noted however that the Fletcher never equipped the Mk16's , it was a sub torpedo ) 

I wrote up a big long post about torpex and navol a while back, il try and dig it up. 

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles
Just now, Cobraclutch said:

Yea its quite interesting, the Americans had the Mark 14 with a torpex warhead starting in 1942. 

The advantage was that the explosive power was somewhat closer to the long lance's due HBX being used. 

So you could have a much smaller warhead but it would have comparable explosive power to a long lance. Hence why the MK 16's on the Fletcher are so powerful for their size.  (it should be noted however that the Fletcher never equipped the Mk16's , it was a sub torpedo ) 

I wrote up a big long post about torpex and navol a while back, il try and dig it up. 

the Mk 12 and the Mk 13 were the ones plagued by the faulty fuses, were they not?...If their explosive power in the opening phase of the Pacific war was OP, pity they weren't effective on account of a fault in design/manufacture...by the time the Mk 14 came along, there was the total package.

[NGA-A]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers, Supertester
1,792 posts
1,703 battles

favorite torpedos...... the ones who sink the enemy and not me. I prefer those the most.

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles
2 minutes ago, Calphayus said:

favorite torpedos...... the ones who sink the enemy and not me. I prefer those the most.

I can dig those, but I like them even better if my teammate drops from right behind me and just misses me because he could tell the angle was close but safe.....it's amazing how close someone who knows what their doing can cut it....I hear the torp alarm and swivel over to look at a spread go past my fantail like it's lunch....

[CRMSN]
5,373 posts
3,565 battles

@commodore_torakula

The Mark 16 torpedo was a redesign of the United States Navy standard Mark 14 torpedo to incorporate war-tested improvements for use in unmodified United States fleet submarines. The torpedo was considered the United States standard anti-shipping torpedo for twenty years;[2] although significant numbers of Mark 14 wartime production remained in inventory. This hydrogen peroxide propelled, 21 inch (53 cm) torpedo was 246 inches (6.25 m) long and weighed 2 tons (1800 kg).[2]The Mod 0 warhead contained 1260 lb (572 kg) of TPX explosive and was the most powerful conventional submarine torpedo warhead ever used by any Navy. The United States used TPX explosive which was about 75% more powerful (7405 J/g.) than the Type 97 explosive in the larger Japanese Type 93 Mod 3. (780 kg of Type 97, 4370 J/g.) The Mod 1 warhead contained 960 lb (435 kg) of TPX or HBX (7552 J/g.) explosive.[2] 

"By using Navol, the torpedoes require no air except (1) to force fuel, Navol, and 
water from their storage compartments to the combustion pot, (2) to drive the gyro, and (3) to operate the steering controls. As no air is fed to the combustion pot, no nitrogen is present in the exhaust to rise to the surface and 
leave the customary wake. There is, however, a small amount of non soluble gas resulting from the combustion of alcohol.which is forced out of the exhaust, leaving a very small wake that is practically invisible except in flat, calm water. "

^The part in bold is a common misconception regarding late war USN torpedoes. They where on par if not stealthier then the oxygen long lances. 

These are some old numbers I had pulled up Commodore, comparing the explosive power of the MK16 mod1 vs the Type 93 , as you can see the USN torps had quite the punch even though they where much smaller. 

Japanese Type 93 Mod 3.  containing 1719 lbs (780 kg) of Type 97, 4370 J/g. vs the Mark 16 Mod 1 warhead containing 960 lb (435 kg) of TPX or HBX (7552 J/g.) explosive.[2

In bold are the explosive power per gram. 

780kg at 4370J/g so 780kg * 1000g/1kg * 4370J= 3,408,600,000J

435kg at 7552J/g so 435kg * 1000g/1kg * 7552J= 3,285,120,000J

Alpha Tester
4,759 posts
2,411 battles

Never been a torpedo guy. They're too reliant on people sailing in straight lines to get results.