You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MutsuKaiNi

New game mode idea, Sink the Beast

14 comments in this topic

[DAKI]
Members
184 posts
7,134 battles

Basically a full team of players (possibly might need more...) taking what on I can only describe as the Ratte of battleships 

proxy.thumb.png.255317c18572179806ed23d5566874d9.png

Would be quite a challenge to sink this monster, as it would have close to a million HP but could be similar to taking on Rasputin in the Halloween event.

Edited by MutsuKaiNi

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,661 battles

Raid boss.

Bring the DoTS.

I'll need a healer.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles
1 hour ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

Basically a full team of players (possibly might need more...) taking what on I can only describe as the Ratte of battleships 

proxy.thumb.png.255317c18572179806ed23d5566874d9.png

Would be quite a challenge to sink this monster, as it would have close to a million HP but could be similar to taking on Rasputin in the Halloween event.

Still 4 fire limit?? 16 seems more fair :-p

Alpha Tester
2,722 posts
4,314 battles

This isn't a new idea among WG...the "White Tiger" event...15 T-34-85 versus one super Tiger (P)...oh so long ago...

Members
286 posts
3,337 battles

50 TORPEDO TUBES

50 406 GUNS

CHILL PLS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

but that would be interesting, i could only guess only tier 10 ships could participate (yeah there is no way my scharny can even scratch that thing)

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles

500kt at 42 knots with an unknown powerplant, six funnels, and six shafts.... No. Short of several nuclear powerplants, this thing would be lucky to move at all.

Also, it is pretty clear that the designer doesn't understand how shafts work. Shafts do not increase speed by merely being there.
   Shafts drive screws (big propellers, except fanboys get mad if you call them propellers), but the do not add their speed to the speed of another shaft. A ship can only go as fast as its slowest-turning-shaft, because if one screw is turning faster than the others, whatever increased power is being transmitted through that shaft is lost in drag on the other screws, and it also distorts the wake and heading of the ship, creating further drag. Probably the best example of this is on a twin-engined speedboat: If one of your engines is operating at full power, and one of them is operating at half power, the speedboat is going to turn in the direction of the less-powerful engine, reducing its speed and driving it off course. This is the same principle by which tanks turn. Ferries make great use of this when docking: to make quick course corrections without using nearly as much turning space, they will put some shafts on ahead and some shafts on reverse to create what is close-to a "zero turn radius" turn (this is why they get all bumpy when they are coming in to dock).

It is also important to note that more shafts do not increase the power that the ship puts out, due to Power being Conserved like Energy and Mass are. For each shaft you have connected to a power source, you decrease the amount of power to the individual shafts by the proportion of the number of shafts to get the Shaft Horse Power (shp). This means that, when an engine has four shafts attached to it, the shp of each shaft is 1/4th the engine's power output in hp (ideally, in real-life, you also have to account for energy inefficiency in the mechanical parts).

What adding more shafts does is increase the safe maximum ship power output that a warship can have. Having more shafts reduces the stress on any one particular shaft and also provides systems redundancy. It uses more power, but is safer and more reliable than transmitting a huge amount of power to a single shaft.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

This remindes me to the boardgame Ogre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game)

It reminds me of playing with an IG troop/tank army vs an IG Titan Army in 40k: Apocalypse.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,288 battles
4 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

42 knots? Somehow I doubt that. 

Agreed.

Maybe 3 to 6 knots tops....with a tailwind.