You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RadDisconnect

How to carry with Moskva?

23 comments in this topic

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

Just got Moskva and I can't figure this ship out. I get decent damage just sitting at range and spamming HE and hitting broadsides but I can't carry or win games with it. How do you play this ship?

[DAKI]
Members
184 posts
7,137 battles

I'm wondering the same, the AP hits very hard even against BBs but she is so damn big and with such awful concealment its hard to do any sort of maneuvering with her.

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

All I can really do right now is sit bow in angled and spam HE which is boring and doesn't impact wins. Radar sounds great but your concealment is worse than your radar and trying to support DDs get my close enough to eat consistent nose citadels from BBs, especially USN BBs with their laser accuracy.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
32 minutes ago, RadDisconnect said:

Just got Moskva and I can't figure this ship out. I get decent damage just sitting at range and spamming HE and hitting broadsides but I can't carry or win games with it. How do you play this ship?

Moskva doesnt carry well. Its a good ship in general, does good damage and is hard to kill, but its big, bulky and has exposed citadel which greatly limits your mobility and the ability to reposition quickly. On top of that the concealment is pretty terrible, which forces you to stay further back.

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles
5 hours ago, RadDisconnect said:

Get a Des Moines

Nuff said

• Funny 1

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

Couple things I do, although I don't play it that much is to really hold back from engaging until the general lay out of the fight unfolds. I made the mistake of attempting to help a DD with an end cap and the main enemy force went to that cap and I was simply focused into oblivion....Other things I do is like to park next to an island so that I am completely protected on one side, much easier to tank and spot/radar and focus fire. It's a great ship when divisioned with a DD that's knows how to spot for you.

Hopefully some real good Moskva players will chime in as..at least to me...the Moskva borders to closely on fun vs work..and there are to many other options that are less work and more fun to play. Maybe if they gave it a 1.5k detection buff.

Alpha Tester
4,704 posts
2,401 battles
6 hours ago, RadDisconnect said:

Done for you some time ago.

Members
2,274 posts
7,324 battles
6 hours ago, RadDisconnect said:

Fire more AP, Moskva AP is one of the best cruiser AP of the game, you can easily citadel cruisers and BBs. Her HE is good, but the AP is amazing.

Dont stay bow on or broadsided, stay angled to the enemy. Moskva is a huge target with huge citadel. But the belt, upper belt and deck armor are really good. You can bounce Yamato shells.

Moskva is better at middle/long ranges, only get closet If you have a good island to use as cover. 

You have radar, try to get into a positioning to use that radar, you can block caps. 

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles
28 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Done for you some time ago.

I know someone will post this. Yes I saw it and no it doesn’t help because all it says is stay at range, angle or kite away.

People should stop posting this video every time someone asks about how to carry a game in Moskva.

Alpha Tester
4,704 posts
2,401 battles
Just now, RadDisconnect said:

I know someone will post this. Yes I saw it and no it doesn’t help because all it says is stay at range, angle or kite away.

People should stop posting this video every time someone asks about how to carry a game in Moskva.

Angling and kiting is how you carry in any ship.

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles
Just now, 1Sherman said:

Angling and kiting is how you carry in any ship.

Moskva does not have concealment to surprise DDs and can’t support caps well because for same reason. Damage farming is not as important as supporting objectives.

[OPG]
Members
3,886 posts
5,476 battles
7 hours ago, RadDisconnect said:

All I can really do right now is sit bow in angled and spam HE which is boring and doesn't impact wins. Radar sounds great but your concealment is worse than your radar and trying to support DDs get my close enough to eat consistent nose citadels from BBs, especially USN BBs with their laser accuracy.

Well that's your problem.  

First off, the Moskva only has a 25mm bow which makes sitting bow in a very risky game to play.  You may get away with it from time to time, but sooner or later a BB is going to lol pen you for multiple citadels right through your nose.  Contrary to popular belief the Moskva can't bow tank, and it only invites trouble.  The Moskva has a massive above water citadel and the worst turning circle of any cruiser in the game, don't let the start card fool you, the listed value is incorrect and the Moskva turns worse than most battleships.  If you are caught bow on, you have no escape except to reverse and hope you can go dark.  Instead try to play as mobile as possible.  It's not easy because the Moskva handles worse than a one armed blue whale, but never make the mistake of thinking you're a BB.  The one advantage the Moskva does have is a 50mm upper belt, try to bait BBs to aim for your belt, and then turn in and praise the auto bounce mechanics.  

Secondly: AP...AP...AP.  The Moskva is not an HE spammer.  Sure, she can actually be pretty decent at it if she wants to, but she just can't compare to the other Tier 10 cruisers.  What the Moskva is amazing at is long range AP performance.  The Moskva can citadel any cruiser in the game at just about any conceivable range, and the Moskva has a lot of it.  When searching for targets always be on the look out for broadside targets, and always shoot AP at them, not matter what the range.   You will help your team far more scoring that juicy triple citadel on a Chapayev  19km away on the other side of the map than you will setting a BB on fire.  *Edit  And to that affect I highly recommend running expert loader.  It is very useful on the Moskva as if you see a cruiser pop up about to show broadside, you can have AP ready to blap him as soon™ possible.   

As far as radar is concerned, the Moskva struggles to use it in open maps where it gets focused down long before it can get in range, but in most maps there are always islands you can use to cover your approach.   Don't force it, just because you have radar does not mean you should throw your ship away to use it, rather just keep a look out for opportunities where it might be useful.  

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles

The problem is people have very different definitions as to what it means to "carry". In reality, Carrying would be a users being the sole purpose for their team winning.

Some seem to be under the deluded idea that it only means Most damage and Kills, or even capping.

Simply having 3-4 ships focus your Moskva and surviving due to proper position and angling while your team is able to freely batter them is by very definition, you carrying.

Members
2,274 posts
7,324 battles
8 minutes ago, RadDisconnect said:

Because angling/bow on/ kiting is how you maximize your survivability and DPS at the same time. Its how you live long enough to deal enough damage. 

5 minutes ago, RadDisconnect said:

Moskva does not have concealment to surprise DDs and can’t support caps well because for same reason. Damage farming is not as important as supporting objectives.

You can use islands and your armor and get closer to caps, Moskva radar has 11,7 Km of range, you dont need to get inside the cap, just close enough. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,704 posts
2,401 battles

5 hours ago, Xlap said:

You can use islands and your armor and get closer to caps, Moskva radar has 11,7 Km of range, you dont need to get inside the cap, just close enough. 

My thoughts exactly. The OP can also go for a concealment build if he's worried about being detected.

Beta Testers
377 posts
6,035 battles
3 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

My thoughts exactly. The OP can also go for a concealment build if he's worried about being detected.

You mean that overpowered 13+ km detection? which is worse than more than a few T10 BBs?

Members
430 posts
8,357 battles

Based on limited testing because it's shown so far not to be what i hopped for...

My opinion is the AP overpens everything it doesn't shatter on. And why use HE when it has 9 inch laser guns.   That being said I've only seen a couple videos on the moskva and they used HE generously.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

A quick glance at my Moskva stats will show I haven't learned the art of the carry with her.  I get my licks in but have a 46% win rate in her. I'll pull some massive games but generally am not influential. 

Why is that? Well... I think sometimes I hang back a bit too long and don't push at the right time. You need to push so that the big guns on the other team aren't given access to your ample broadside. Doing that takes a lot of pre positioning and anticipating- of little value if you push yourself out of position to use radar at the beginning. 

The AP dominates broadside targets but bounces are common. As a result you roll with HE which is okay but repairable fire damage is repairable. 

The angling has an excruciatingly narrow tolerance. You CAN bounce yam and mush shells- but you need to play your angles.  Your turning rate is terrible and speed barely remarkable.

Carrying in the Moskva is entirely situational. A guy pulls 450k damage in a Gearing and he carries that game but I don't think that's an accessible goal for the average Gearing driver. Some monster games have been played in Moskva and it has some reliable skills but nothing about it will make it an "I win" button- no matter how you play it. I don't see a lot of "I carried in Moskva" threads  but I can imagine there are a lot of "I gave my team the power it needed to win" threads in Moskva.

Your AA can be spec'd to brilliance, rail guns a nightmare for DDs. AP can wreck everything at broadside and HE isn't slouchy. Properly Angled your armour profile is remarkably tanky even against 18.1" guns. Great range radar albeit short duration can be the dominating factor if you wait long enough to use it without making yourself a piñata for 10 enemy ships in the first 5 minutes of the game. 

I whaled to Moskva a long time ago thinking it was the answer to my prayers but it takes someone who has great situational awareness who can adapt to what the battle demands of it- not just depending on standard dependence on its strengths in hopes that others don't know it's weaknesses. As I crest 5000 battles I'm getting there but still have a lot of work to do. 

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

I never said Moskva is weak or needs a buff, just I haven't figured the ship out yet. And no, the Yuro video doesn't actually help out in terms of how to use the ship most effectively.

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles

I would also love how to improve in my Moskva.  I so badly want to be good in this ship, but she's pretty unforgiving when it comes to receiving damage.  I would like to regularly have 100k+ damage games in her.