Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Phawn70

Roma...with IFHE?

8 comments in this topic

Members
24 posts
4,954 battles

Greetings...

I'm asking has anyone who has the Roma or know if IFHE will help the 90mm secondaries at all besides just starting fires as is?

They are pretty decent AA guns but I would like to try to squeeze everything out of them if possible.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,795 posts
13,629 battles

Considering the range on the Roma's secondary guns I don't think its worth spec'ing into a max secondary build or even wasting 4 points on IFHE. 

Members
24 posts
4,954 battles

Would you consider the 90mm useless then?

The german 8.8s can hurt...smh

Edited by Phawn70

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester
179 posts
5,133 battles

I'm unfamiliar with the calibur of the roma secondaries, but i doubt that the ifhe added penetration would even matter in most scenareos. I would get aft over ifhe on roma.

But that' just my opinion. You are the one that will play it :)

Wish you the best of luck!

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,229 posts
6,433 battles

To answer this from the perspective of game mechanics:

Currently the 90mm guns will penetrate any armor plating up to 14mm. So at T8 you will deal basically no Shell damage with those guns at all. Cruisers and Battleships are 100% immune to those Shells, and Destroyer hulls are also too thick. Not sure on Destroyer superstructures.

Adding IFHE will buff your HE Penetration to 19mm. That means that you can now penetrate the superstructure of T8 and higher Battleships and Cruisers, as well as the hulls and superstructures of Destroyers.

From a practical Point of view you would have to invest so many skill Points and modules to make the Secondaries work to an extend (AFT, Manual Secondaries and IFHE, so 12 Commander Points. On top of that the Secondary Armaments Module) that it's probably not worth it. The Secondaries on the Bismarck will still heavily outclass Roma's. Just Forget them, and rather invest into your main guns, concealment and survivability.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

TLDR:  IFHE isn't really useful for Roma, Secondaries or Main Battery shells.  IMO.

Secondaries Build on Roma is a very dicey thing.  I'm not saying good secondaries on her will be useless, as there are times where I had to run down DDs / duel them with Roma.  Still, I did it relying on her AP for great damage on DDs.  But there's also most circumstances where I'd avoid getting into secondaries range with Roma anyways, i.e. against other BBs.  If you get into such short ranges you are committing heavily and disregarding Roma's stealth and ability to keep out of arm's reach on her terms.

Still, there are times where I actively sought a knife fight with Roma against other BBs if the situation was right for it.  Even then, Secondaries were never a big factor against another BB.  I was using Roma's ability to speed into areas where other BBs cannot cover as well, their turrets struggle to keep up, and my own turrets quickly turn and plant AP into them.  Those kinds of fights are very short and violent and secondaries were never an important factor in damage dealt.

Not to mention Roma's HE shells are so bad that even the damage you do with them aren't worthwhile if they do penetrate.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
24 posts
4,954 battles

I do use the stealth of the ship to the point of abuse. What I'm dealing with is the mele point of battle (if I'm still alive) is that i have dealt with any foes I'm my relative area and with my conceilment start to hammer other targets within 13k and causing pain. I seem to have found the natural enemy of the Roma with the NC and Alabama. 

They come in with thier 16 and cause great loss to your HP...they move  in danger close and find the citidel... my secondaries are going off at 5k... this is the aspect i would want to correct...I would love to stay at over 10k in range and hammer... hit and fade...i know it well. I was trying to find some reasonable solution to that issue.

Roma by far is quite the fun platform!

[SKET]
Members
38 posts
10,923 battles

I have the Roma and I have better AA, than secondary 18 points currently. and I really think that their 90 mm are bad, they are not very good, I am currently testing with it by tanking, and many of its cannons do not come out. luck .

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this