You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Komrade_Rylo

How do you decide your actions in game?

26 comments in this topic

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,421 battles

So recently I've started actually watching YouTubers and live streamers(when I say watch I mean actually focus on their comments about the game they are in). I've noticed a lot of people seem to try to plan out what they are going to do to try and win the game. I've never done this. For me with my severe ADHD I need to be doing 3-4 things at once. I'll be playing warships, listening to music, reading the forums, playing clash of clans on my phone, and messaging 4-5 people at once. I've recently started to examine my own gameplay and realized I just do things subconsciously when I play, I don't really put much thought into the actions I make in game. It's like an auto pilot takes over, and I don't really think much about the game I'm in. 

So I'm curious now after asking a few people on discord. How do you determine what you're going to do in a situation and how do you try and make decisions that will win you the game?

[MIA-A]
Members
1,994 posts
6,579 battles

Basically prioritize, in this order:

1. Staying alive
  2. Securing kills
  3. Playing objectives
    1. Focusing on destroyers is the best way to do this

Throughout this, making as intelligent positioning choices as I can while continuously looking at the minimap.

I think a lot of players do not realize the amount of the skill in this game that is positioning based, either, so every time I die I try to understand why I died and what I could do to mitigate that in the future. A very large percentage of what makes a player good is understanding this, because intelligent positioning means that you stay alive longer, do better in game, and ultimately win games more often.

Members
2,230 posts
6,194 battles

My thought process is usually: find a chokepoint or a cap or an island to take advantage of and pummel the enemy assault. Once their attack has been blunted I'll push up and secure the objectives and kills.

Play for objectives, that doesnt mean just charge in head strong... sometimes its better to hold at the edge and hit the advancing enemy, denying the enemy a cap, especially when you are on the short side is just as good as taking it yourself

Members
1,913 posts
2,492 battles

I look for whatever ship is the greatest threat to my team, and aim for them.

Of course I'd shoot the cruiser 5km behind their closest battleship, which is already taking all of my team's fire anyways. He's the one dealing the most damage by the minute to my team's ships, and blocking off destroyers from advancing on the battleship.

If your team's playing the objective, just stick with them or slightly behind them, and you'll be playing it too. It's all target selection.

[CAST]
Members
1,404 posts
5,819 battles

I spend a lot of time looking at the minimap.  I'm looking at where my teammates are, which enemy ships have been spotted where (paying particular attention to whichever ships I've designated as the biggest threats to me), and how the flow of the game is going.  If one of our flanks is weak then I'll move over to help out or at least call it out on team chat; if the most dangerous enemy ships have all been recently spotted far away then I know I can push a little harder.  The minimap is by far the most valuable source of information you can have in WoWs.

My goal is always to do whatever I can to help the team in as big a way as possible.  Given that I'm usually in destroyers, that can mean wearing down enemy battleships with a combination of torpedoes and smoke/stealth firing, going silent to act as a spotter, delaying an enemy push on our weakest side, capturing an unguarded objective, or going into full-on hunt mode vs. enemy destroyers (among many other things).  Sometimes this means going against the accepted strengths and weaknesses of the ship I'm in (my (thank goodness) last game in the Bellerophon saw me hunt down two enemy DDs near our base because nobody else was close enough to do so), and sometimes this means turning in far less damage than I'd like, but that's okay if it makes a victory more likely.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm nowhere near the level of a Flamuu or Notser (or any of the other major CCs) when it comes to seeing the best course of action in nearly any scenario, and I don't always plan far enough ahead during games, but that's something which I hope will come with more experience.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,315 posts
9,418 battles

Depends on what ship I'm in, what map I'm on, what my team looks like, what the enemy team looks like and where I spawn.

If I'm in a slow battleship, I'll pick a cap point I know there's going to be fighting at, and that's where I'm going. 

For a DD, Where can I go that I'll have an escape route, where will I have a good field of view?

For fast battleships and cruisers, I'm gonna go with the rest of the fast stuff, to try and overwhelm stuff.

For CV's, my whole thought process is listed here already.A lot of that bleeds into how I plan for my other ships.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,945 battles

I do not have a plan and i might be the only one that says it but its true.

I never say this is what i am going to do and try and go out and stick to that.

I am basically always looking to take advantage of what ever presents itself.

I shoot at whats available, move to the spots that give me the best shots, and take the caps that can be taken.

All this i do on the fly with no exact plan as to how i am going to do it. 

Basically each map is a game of connect the dots

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[PNP]
Members
391 posts
2,845 battles

Im always in an analysis of risk/reward. Most of my decisions are based of that concept of thinking. So far it seems to be working. For me in order to make the concept work, you need to be aware of the minimap, what actions your allies are currently performing/undergoing, and constantly communicate with other teammates to minimize confusion.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
628 posts
7,935 battles

I charge in all willy-nilly, no plan needed!  While hooping and hollering  and shouting at the top of my lungs "DIE ENEMY, DIE!" while shooting to sink a ship, daring them to shoot back!  :Smile_playing:

Now, it's not for everyone!  :Smile_amazed:   It has it's pluses and minuses!  :Smile_glasses:

On the plus side I get to play a LOT of games in a short period of time!  :Smile_Default:

On the minus side I'm usually the first ship sunk......not quite sure why...  :Smile-angry:

Sometimes I play the song, "Eye of the Tiger" while I play wearing my Pirate hat and eye patch!  :Smile_izmena:

Anyhow, that's how I do it!  :Smile_medal: 

• Funny 1

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

I tend to try to coordinate some sort of plan at least, then I do a little dance with Furutaka while I wait for my team to disperse to the planned zones or flanks. Then I follow suite and start my fire memes.

If the team refuse to listen then I farm damage before we get destroyed like in '41. 

Members
624 posts
7,304 battles

My actions to what type of ship I have to use:

Spoiler

Destroyer: Provide ally spot/smoke cover and try not to get detected, secure/capture caps ASAP, if detected, try to stay away or find the other DD as well

Cruiser: cover allies who have low Anti-Air to air attacks (preferably to be in front of an ally battleship or behind destroyers), spot Destroyers or prioritize it ASAP once spotted (Preferable to shoot it with HE)

Battleships: Just being a battleship... snipin from 15-20km away,  (although I made most of my battleships in concealment build at high tiers, aside German BBs) provide fire assistance to allies (preferably attack ships that are broadsides with AP shells, though don't if the target is a DD unless RNG insta-kills it with AP)

Carriers: Use and launch fighter planes (you can still use your attack planes if you want) first and provide spotting for allies (preferable to put them in caps to detect Destroyers), fight off enemy attack/fighter planes, providing Anti-Air cover to ships that has low AAs and attack ships that has low AAs or have used their Def AA already

It all depends on what type of ship you wanna use or what consumables did you equipped or what are they good at (though id say it all depends on the player itself)
and of course people have their own will to decide what's best for the team (or for you... maybe)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,887 battles
52 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I do not have a plan and i might be the only one that says it but its true.

I never have anything specific in mind when a game starts, unless I have a specific task I want / need to perform, like get 200 ribbons, or 50 main caliber gun hits, or 20 torpedo hits, etc. I try to take enough time to notice how things are going and either help or hinder depending on what it is.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Map repetitions often dictate course of action. Spawn Location also plays a hand. 

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,509 battles
11 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

So recently I've started actually watching YouTubers and live streamers(when I say watch I mean actually focus on their comments about the game they are in). I've noticed a lot of people seem to try to plan out what they are going to do to try and win the game. I've never done this. For me with my severe ADHD I need to be doing 3-4 things at once. I'll be playing warships, listening to music, reading the forums, playing clash of clans on my phone, and messaging 4-5 people at once. I've recently started to examine my own gameplay and realized I just do things subconsciously when I play, I don't really put much thought into the actions I make in game. It's like an auto pilot takes over, and I don't really think much about the game I'm in. 

So I'm curious now after asking a few people on discord. How do you determine what you're going to do in a situation and how do you try and make decisions that will win you the game?

I usually do the following -

Before the game starts:

• I check the team lineups - I want to know the following:
    • What are the DDs and their torp ranges?
      • If I'm a DD - I want to know which DDs I can gunfight and which I need to be careful of engaging (an which may have hydro or radar)
      • If I'm a BB - I want to know the torp ranges so I can keep maneuvering the ship within a certain engagement area to spoil their torp solutions
    • Are there any radar Cruisers? - Especially if I'm a DD, this affects which cap I can go for and how early
      • Depending on the map, there are likely radar cruiser initial game positioning locations
    • If I'm a Cruiser -
      • If I'm a fire spammer, where is the BB formation likely to go so I can farm damage on them
      • If I have radar, where can I position to help out in cap (same goes if I play the Missouri to a certain extent)
      • Where can I get the best firing angle into a cap so I can get the salvo or 2 in before a DD smokes in cap.
  • I check the map for likely positions to contest a cap or support my team's DD in a cap
  • I check the map for typical enemy movement lines during initial cap contests to give me shots to those locations while allowing angling and maneuver to stay safe.
  • The map also gives me info on chokepoints and other contingencies depending on what the enemy does

When the Game starts:

• I look for how my team is deploying and focus on:
    • Early spotting on the mini-map for indication of the enemy movement
    • Detection as we move to initial engagement to give me an idea of where the DD torps may come from and when
    • I try to "balance" the deployment as needed to determine which side I pick (unless spawning heavily on one side) - This is especially true if a standard battle - I don't want to see an unguarded rear flank and a friendly lemming train if at all possible.
  • I move to a "staging" position, assuming typical timings of initial engagements - this is a position from which I can maneuver to a minimum damage profile once the engagement starts; while allowing me to maneuver or angle as needed so I can either mask a turn or find cover after the initial engagement phase.
  • I prefer flanking and maneuver tactics rather than bow-tanking or using static cover.
  • Tactical priorities early game:
    • If I'm a DD - initial spotting and opportunistic capping
    • If I'm a Cruiser/BB - supporting my DDs by moving closer to cap
    • If I'm a BB - taking out cruisers or DDs early in cap or radar cruisers & fire spammers

During the Mid-game:

• Once ships start dwindling, if I'm a DD, cap strategies is everything to get the points counter to assist your team (including arresting the enemy's cap counter)
  • If I'm a DD on a flank the enemy is pushing - torp spreads to area deny and slow down their push as much as possible.  Make the ships turn and slow down - extra damage is a bonus.
  • Remove lower health ships as quickly as possible - as a BB, if I can 1-2 shot a cruiser, I'll bow tank the BB in front of me to eliminate more enemy ships quicker.
  • If friendlies are around and any enemy ships have used dam con (due to fires or torp hits), make sure I call it out in chat to encourage friendlies to take advantage of this to do DOT damage.
  • I try to evaluate the developing mini-map deployment. 
    • If a flank or cap needs help I'll move to support
    • If an opportunity to get flanking shots presents itself I'll redeploy to get more side shots

Late game:

• Evaluate the team's ship numbers & health & what the team has been doing so far to:
    • Determine whether ship kills will be sufficient for a win or will it come down to cap points or a cap rush (or defensse) and deploy accordingly
    • If I'm in a BB and am faced w/ relatively even ship numbers, but a brawl will tip the balance in my team's favor, I'll look for that opportunity w/ a goal of trading at least 2:1 (or a bigger enemy threat for myself). 
    • On occasion, I'll make a intentional "negative trade" (i.e. I have more health than the enemy BB) if the strategic situation assures a friendly win (e.g. a lower health Yamato gets taken out and I force a cruiser to the edge of the map before dying so my team can get a clear numerical advantage & all the caps)
  • Be very aware of the scoring contingencies - what happens if someone dies, do we still have the score advantage?   Sometimes NOT engaging is the correct strategy.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
47 posts
5,777 battles

i generally just shut off my brain as best as i can and follow the flow of battle instinctively; i tend to either overthink things too much and get myself killed or yolorush in and die when i have my brain active

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

Start of match: pick a direction to turn.

Early match: usually ahead of most other BBs - tend to draw fire; score early cruiser kills by being closer.

Mid match: if I'm still alive, I'll eat a torpedo, am at about 60% HP if things are going 'right.' Am also 'pushing' the enemy from whichever side of the map I have chosen.

Late match: typically dead. If I'm alive, I am mopping up, as when I live, my aggression has almost always resulted in a win.

There's nothing more to it than that. 

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
641 posts
9,354 battles
21 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Map repetitions often dictate course of action. Spawn Location also plays a hand. 

^This. Each map and spawn locations almost dictates strategy, and battles often follow a predictable pattern. You can also tell impending disasters in the making. 

For example,  on Fault Line, in domination mode, A cap is usually the most contested. C cap always needs checking for flanking breakthrough attempts, but without actually entering the narrows. Going straight up the middle almost never ends well. On Neighbors C cap has the best cover and allows for domination of B cap. A lemming train to A cap almost never ends well, as on the way to the other caps open water needs to be crossed and the defending team has the better cover and position. Sometimes a couple of ships playing defensively can blunt an attack on either side of Two Brothers while the rest push around the other way. 

If you play these maps often enough you get an instinctive feel for where you and your particular ship can be of most benefit. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I can't say I put much thought into it. I go to the side that I think we'll win, and then I go wherever I'm needed. Maybe B. Probably B.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

[SIM]
Members
2,459 posts
4,108 battles

Ouija board and a refreshing smoothie laced with psychotropic drugs. 

• Funny 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
933 posts
10,359 battles
3 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

For the short version of it, I break things down into 3 categories, 1) things I need to pay attention to or do right now, 2) pay attention to things in my immediate vicinity the I should plan my action around to obtain local superiority, or best execute my strategic objectives, and 3) pay attention to the general position of both teams and the flow of the game which helps me make strategic decisions to guide what I should be doing on level (1) and (2). 

1)Things you need to pay attention to right now

These are things like incoming fire, incoming torps, golden opportunity to secure a kill, etc.  Don't mistake this for the physical distance of how far you should worry about since incoming shells or TB/DB groups could be 12-20 km away but you should probably take action to mitigate their damage asap, or that kill secure opportunity could be 1/2 way across the map. 

2)Things in your immediate vicinity

Where is everyone around your cap, what are they doing? Which way should you turn to mitigate incoming damage from the players around you? Is there a pop up destroyer that you should probably angle towards in anticipation of a torp spread. Maybe you should pop pre-preemptive hydro, fighter plane cuz you suspect something is up.

3) Strategic level

Did your flank on the other side of the map collapse? if it did, you might need to preposition because even though the spot you are in is great against the stuff in front of you; 3-4 minute from now your position might be untenable because you'll be cross fired. If you need to pull out and leave, or make that now or never poss, this should inform what you should be doing on level (2).

I just find separating things into 3 category of decision helps me mentally prioritize what I need to pay the most attention to but still aware of what is happening with the big picture and it has more or less worked out for me thus far.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
4 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

They're not doing anything different really than what you're doing in game. In other words, if they weren't streaming, they wouldn't be verbalizing. Because they are streaming, they have to take that subconscious decision-aking and remind themselves consciously to talk out loud for the benefit of the audience. It's even more challenging when you have to do it in a way that's entertaining. Very few can do it well and collect thousands of viewers. 

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles

When I was first learning to shoot a bow, I'd carefully make sure that my draw was the proper length, that my string hand rested at the same position near my mouth, that my head was lined up with both the string and the arrow rest, that I had the proper range estimates and then carefully placed my aiming pin on the target and release. Eventually, after several months of practice, these thoughts dropped off one by one.  Finally, after a couple of years, I got where I could throw a tennis ball, knock an arrow, and then hit the ball nearly every time. After that, squirrels and rabbits were no problem and provided many a lunch for a poor college student.

What I am saying here is that you should learn a few basic gameplay mechanics but, unless you just want to read complex treatises about the game for general knowledge and entertainment, don't sweat the small stuff. Once you learn the fundamentals your mind will take care of the specifics.

Most of the game (and real military engagements, for that matter) boils down to only a few things.

• Remain undetected as long as you can.
  • Get as close as you can and find cover.
  • Put more accurate fire on the enemy than they do on you.
  • Be positioned so that return fire does the least damage.
  • Have an avenue of escape, if necessary. 
Edited by Snargfargle

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
5 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

They are not planning anything. They record the voiceover ON TOP of the game that they have already played before, so they are basically speaking in hindsight.

I promise you, when they were actually playing they werent planning a damn thing. Every battle is fluid, and its rarely possible to make any long term plans. Best players arent the ones that plan best, but rather those that adjust to a changing situation fastest.

Edited by Ulthwey