Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
prevans

tips when you're bottom tier

9 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles

I've seen a few posts recently where players complain that they often seem to be bottom tier and they can't be effective.  While it's undoubtedly not an ideal situation, there are some general pointers to keep in mind for when you're 2 tiers below (highly general advice and of course will change somewhat depending on your nation):

BBs: stick with a higher tier BB.  Target cruisers and destroyers if you're not confident you can hurt enemy battleships at range.  Think of yourself as a battlecruiser.  I find you don't get targeted much because the other BBs aren't afraid of your guns and you can use this to your advantage to get in fairly close where the odds are a little more even.  In short, be a little more aggressive than usual and go after soft targets that you can hurt.

CA/CL: always stay at max range (or even beyond your max range in the early part of the fight).  You will be targeted by everyone who is looking for an easy meal, i.e. most people.  Turn this to the team's advantage and dodge like mad.  Focus on turning , changing speeds, etc. even if it means your firepower suffers as a result.  I'm surprised at how often people will take poorly aimed shots at me while I'm 15-18 kms away and dodging like crazy.  Yeah sometimes they get lucky and do damage no matter what you do, but more often than not you are helping the team by drawing a lot of firepower away from other ships.  In short, play like more a wuss-cake than you already should be playing as a cruiser.

DDs: play as per normal and maybe slightly more cautiously. Be aware if you're in a t6 for instance, that the higher tier ships will have great secondaries, radar and other nasty surprises if you're too aggressive, particularly in the early stages of a match.  You may not be able to throw torps at BBs until later in the game.  Also watch out for planes 'cause they can really hurt you if you're lower tier.

tl;dr - play BBs more aggressively, CA/CLs more cautiously, and DDs per usual.

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,088 posts
18,615 battles

A cruiser at max range cannot support the own DD. Cruiser play is exploiting a chance and not hanging in the back. Find a pack you can hunt with. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Bottom tier doesn't scare me.  I kind of enjoy the challenge.  Yes, you have to adjust your game plan a bit (one of the reasons I enjoy +/- 2 tier MM), but it can certainly be done.

Sometimes it doesn't work out.

But when it does, and you lead your team in a bottom tier ship...

gQFaDpJ.jpg

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
8 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

A cruiser at max range cannot support the own DD. Cruiser play is exploiting a chance and not hanging in the back. Find a pack you can hunt with. 

When you're bottom tier you shouldn't be in there supporting the DDs.  You're a huge target and need to play accordingly.  You can let the higher tier cruisers get up closer (although cruisers getting too close too early is the scourge of this game).

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

When I'm bottom tier I get to farm more damage than if I was top tier

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,938 posts
6,542 battles

Bottom tier in most boats means positioning matters more.

It's also why many people feel incapable in making an impact when bottom tier because most people struggle heavily with this concept.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Bottom Tier means you have to use tactics beyond your league. The mini map, The ships that can help you, The ships that can delete you , Know when and where you are useful even as a target drawing fire. Always sail with your team or squad. Use the entire map and time given you. Focus "targets" not a single ship. Call out your targets to your teammates know your gun ranges and your teammates,know what ranges and reload times of your,your teammates and your enemy. Angle forward guns at one target and  slip your aft guns to another.while zigzagging.Change your speed often NEVER STOP. Higher Tier ships will punish you for mistakes. Lower Tier ships will hunt you down and force your hand when given the chance. You are not useless if you try to win. Go down FIGHTING not Running away.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,149 posts
7,146 battles

In the bottom tier ships, you have a bit more latitude in your ability to stay at range.  No one will fault you for that.  You can use that to farm damage when appropriate.  Shoot at ships when they have their turrets aimed at another ship, then go dark.  Rinse and repeat.  Use the islands and land outcroppings to your advantage.  Never duke it out with ships a couple of tiers above you.  Even if the enemy holds fire and waits for you to shoot and become visible, you are helping your team by preventing damage to your team. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
3 hours ago, prevans said:

BBs: stick with a higher tier BB.

Yes; that way, when you're spotted, they will shoot you first and the high tier BB's can sail away.

CA/CL: always stay at max range

THIS is NEWS?

DDs: play as per normal

If you can invisifire torps; if you can't you are totally hosed.

Sign in to follow this