Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SansPeur

Des Moines Upgrade?

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

118
[-HON-]
Beta Testers
360 posts
9,090 battles

5a779a04e9002_DMUpgrade.jpg.a4849a0207df63821f50836d1d4bb4c6.jpg

So putting the Main Battery Mod 3 on the Des Moines makes the arty worst or is this just a WG error?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[CAST]
Members
1,402 posts
5,815 battles
1 minute ago, SansPeur said:

5a779a04e9002_DMUpgrade.jpg.a4849a0207df63821f50836d1d4bb4c6.jpg

So putting the Main Battery Mod 3 on the Des Moines makes the arty worst or is this just a WG error?

That's true of Main Battery Mod 3 on all ships--you are trading a higher rate of fire for slower rotation on your turrets.  Because of that this mod is rarely used on any ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121
[FDK]
Members
1,071 posts
6,042 battles
2 minutes ago, SansPeur said:

5a779a04e9002_DMUpgrade.jpg.a4849a0207df63821f50836d1d4bb4c6.jpg

So putting the Main Battery Mod 3 on the Des Moines makes the arty worst or is this just a WG error?

There is no error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
309
[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,828 battles

Ignore those silly WG numbers and use your brain. Do you have trouble getting gyour turrets around? If you do, it's probably a bad trade. If you don't, it seems worth it. It's a trade off which is different for every ship and player.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
227
[WOLF2]
Members
867 posts
7,019 battles

I have it on my Baltimore.   Once I get the guns upgraded (still stock, unfortunately), they'll fire every 8.8 seconds.    Turret speed hasn't been a factor so far.

Edited by DiddleDum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
680
[MIA-A]
Members
1,981 posts
6,579 battles
55 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

That's true of Main Battery Mod 3 on all ships--you are trading a higher rate of fire for slower rotation on your turrets.  Because of that this mod is rarely used on any ship.

You really think that it's "rarely used on any ship" - this strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

I find it valuable on multiple ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,861
[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,669 posts
7,570 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

You really think that it's "rarely used on any ship" - this strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

I find it valuable on multiple ships.

How useful it is to a person depends on their skill, the ship, and their play style. Its harder to use on a lot of ships because of either the penalty in traverse or the inability to mount the range mod. Less skilled players will have a harder time leveraging it because it forces them to position themselves in more risky positions and makes it harder to respond to surprises. Some ships like the Iowa and Montana actually have another module which is more valuable which they use instead. 

 

For example I have experimented using the rof mod on my Des Moines but dont normally use it. Because even though I have found it enormously useful it makes the ship extremely limited in its ability to play randoms because of the maps and what teams do, much easier to perform consistently with a couple km of range. For the Hindi though I use rof cause it has enough range for most situations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
267 posts
8,734 battles

But on pure snipers is really valuable... i like them a lot on my yamato, musashi and in general on heavy BBs. Turret turn is already abysmal so not a great difference here, and RoF helps leveling off the enemy ships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,063 battles

To let you know, Shima's 20km torps has a higher rating than 12km and 8km torps while being totally garbage .

 

Try using the module and see if you're fine with it or not 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Steven Seagal loves this upgrade almost as much as lounging in kimonos.  I am using it on my Baltimore and my Hindenberg currently...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,674 posts
9,749 battles

I post my best stats with reload instead of range.  Much less island camping more hunting and killing.

Its so nasty of DDs, you just see them melt while you break everything on their ship.  Nasty on just about anything.  6-10k AP volleys on BBs that fast is crazy and aint going to buff out easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
1 hour ago, Harv72b said:

That's true of Main Battery Mod 3 on all ships--you are trading a higher rate of fire for slower rotation on your turrets.  Because of that this mod is rarely used on any ship.

What? Every Cruiser that has access to MBM3 should take it, 0 exceptions. BBs all take it except some US BBs that have a choice between the APRM2 and MBM3. Tashkent Udaloi Khab Groz all take MBM3

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I post my best stats with reload instead of range.  Much less island camping more hunting and killing.

Its so nasty of DDs, you just see them melt while you break everything on their ship.  Nasty on just about anything.  6-10k AP volleys on BBs that fast is crazy and aint going to buff out easy. 

It's true that the range vs. ROF upgrade trade-off really pushes you to exploit opportunities to close distance and punish.  I'm still learning to be comfortable with that play-style, but it maximizes the strengths of ships like the Hindy and higher tier USN cruisers.  I think it will also make me a more well-rounded cruiser player in time, since I naturally gravitate to open-water WASD hacking and HE flinging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[CAST]
Members
1,402 posts
5,815 battles
37 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

You really think that it's "rarely used on any ship" - this strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

I find it valuable on multiple ships.

I'll rephrase that...I don't recall ever seeing it as a recommended upgrade on any ship...

 

1 minute ago, Dodgy_Cookies said:

What? Every Cruiser that has access to MBM3 should take it, 0 exceptions. BBs all take it except some US BBs that have a choice between the APRM2 and MBM3. Tashkent Udaloi Khab Groz all take MBM3

...Except maybe here.  I can see it maybe being useful for ships which do most of their shooting from long range and do little in the way of radical maneuvering (which admittedly I don't play), but it certainly hasn't been a useful on option on any ship I play (which does include the Tashkent--the turrets are slow enough already).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
680
[MIA-A]
Members
1,981 posts
6,579 battles
3 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I'll rephrase that...I don't recall ever seeing it as a recommended upgrade on any ship...

Flamu recommends it on both the Yamato as well as Hindenburg, which are two of my tier X ships (that I run the same module on). Probably others, too, those are the two I thought of just now.

40 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

How useful it is to a person depends on their skill, the ship, and their play style. Its harder to use on a lot of ships because of either the penalty in traverse or the inability to mount the range mod. Less skilled players will have a harder time leveraging it because it forces them to position themselves in more risky positions and makes it harder to respond to surprises. Some ships like the Iowa and Montana actually have another module which is more valuable which they use instead. 

 

For example I have experimented using the rof mod on my Des Moines but dont normally use it. Because even though I have found it enormously useful it makes the ship extremely limited in its ability to play randoms because of the maps and what teams do, much easier to perform consistently with a couple km of range. For the Hindi though I use rof cause it has enough range for most situations. 

I actually agree with all of this 100%. As your skill increases, you will find the ROF mod better because you will be able to position better and get hurt less by mistakes and still be able to bring guns to bear.

I run range on Des Moines and reload on Hindi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
359
[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

i suggest range mod on des moines

15.8 is too painfully short on tier X cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
3 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

...Except maybe here.  I can see it maybe being useful for ships which do most of their shooting from long range and do little in the way of radical maneuvering (which admittedly I don't play), but it certainly hasn't been a useful on option on any ship I play (which does include the Tashkent--the turrets are slow enough already).

DM's shell velocity is terrible so engaging targets past 16km is already pretty an exercise in futility. MBM3 is the right way to play DM. If you are looking for a long range HE spam radar boat, Moskva does that much better.

As for Tashkent its not a torpedo boat so why take the torp module? AA isn't worth upgrading and Tash is a classic run and gun RU dd even more so than Khab. So why not take MBM3? its not like 18 vs 21s is a huge deal at 8km+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,021 posts
2,958 battles
53 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

You really think that it's "rarely used on any ship" - this strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

I find it valuable on multiple ships.

I mean, it's only really viable on ships with sufficient base range, and good turret turn rates. So it's pretty much limited to USN BBs, and USN/VMF/FR cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
359
[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
4 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

I mean, it's only really viable on ships with sufficient base range, and good turret turn rates. So it's pretty much limited to USN BBs, and USN/VMF/FR cruisers.

i think it only takes sufficient range

i know a lot of people that put this on their yamato, which is known for bad turret rotation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,021 posts
2,958 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

i think it only takes sufficient range

i know a lot of people that put this on their yamato, which is known for bad turret rotation

 

Well that is less than optimal. Ships have to turn at some point in every game, and having turrets that take 1/15th of the game to rotate 180 degrees is just unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
680
[MIA-A]
Members
1,981 posts
6,579 battles
5 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Well that is less than optimal. Ships have to turn at some point in every game, and having turrets that take 1/15th of the game to rotate 180 degrees is just unacceptable.

If you find yourself in the Yamato needing to make that type of maneuver you've messed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,340 posts
9,433 battles

I use this on my Des Moines.  It works VERY well.

Step #1  Track target using 'Radio Location' to get the turrets in the general direction.  Select target anticipated type ammo.

Step #2  Immediately after being detected, hit RADAR to light up the target.

Step #3  Fast fire/salvo target at 4.8 second intervals...  With a 40 second consumable, that comes to 8 1/3 salvoes -- so salvo #9 will be blind.

Step #4  If you can't kill a DD or stealthy cruiser in 8 salvoes...  Go Practice in Co-Op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,021 posts
2,958 battles
13 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

If you find yourself in the Yamato needing to make that type of maneuver you've messed up.

Sorry but enemy ships exist, torpedoes exist, etc. You cannot just sit the same spot all game. Flanks fall, things happen. WoWs is a fluid game, not a static one. You are usually required to reposition at some point in the game, Yamato or not. I see too many idiot Yamatos die this way, just sitting there reversing at -10 knots, while they burn to death and are torpedoed.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,230 posts
6,194 battles
1 hour ago, delp5117 said:

Steven Seagal loves this upgrade almost as much as lounging in kimonos.  I am using it on my Baltimore and my Hindenberg currently...

Des Moines + Steven Seagull + MBM3 + Expert Marksmen = Maximum memes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
680
[MIA-A]
Members
1,981 posts
6,579 battles
38 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Sorry but enemy ships exist, torpedoes exist, etc. You cannot just sit the same spot all game. Flanks fall, things happen. WoWs is a fluid game, not a static one. You are usually required to reposition at some point in the game, Yamato or not. I see too many idiot Yamatos die this way, just sitting there reversing at -10 knots, while they burn to death and are torpedoed.

... ok?

 

Maybe a better way to say it is, "if you find yourself in the Yamato and suddenly need to make a full 180 turn while firing your guns, you have mispositioned."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×