You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

AFK ... PLEASE ... WAR GAMING

61 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

DO SOMETHING ABOUT AFK ... PLEASE

I put money into this game.

FIX IT

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

*was going to post something sarcastic but went AFK instead*

• Funny 5

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Now, Wargaming can fix the loading issues, but they can't force everyone to buy a better computer, now can they?

• Cool 1

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,801 battles
14 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

DO SOMETHING ABOUT AFK ... PLEASE

I put money into this game.

FIX IT

Skip the money, I do too. To call AFK either means you have never had a server/connection problem. Today I had to TRY to re-enter on four games nine times. Does that make me AFK? And when I get back in, the time lag is 9/10 a death sentence.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
106 posts
9,988 battles

Players go AFK for a variety of reasons, some of which are more important then a puter-game.Just relax and get on with it and believe me life will go on.

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I still don't know where you guys run into all these AFK's.

I don't see nearly enough to classify it as any more than a minor annoyance.

• Cool 4

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles
6 minutes ago, _Luna said:

I hear that and I never see team killers either, just lucky I guess.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
162 posts
3,512 battles
8 minutes ago, _Luna said:

ditto, it's very rare for me to see AFK. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

And just what is WG supposed to do about this? Magically fly someone over to take over the AFK's computer and play the game?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
9 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Skip the money, I do too. To call AFK either means you have never had a server/connection problem. Today I had to TRY to re-enter on four games nine times. Does that make me AFK? And when I get back in, the time lag is 9/10 a death sentence.

That's fine. If you have a connection problem but can't load into a battle, than you have a connection issue. That's on your end. But if you can't load, for what ever reason, why should battles, Random, Rank, etc. have to bear your problem? WG can and should be able to fix this issue even if they have to substitute with a BoT. Now, on your end, once you log back in, or are able to go back into the queue, then so be it. You go back into the queue, for the next battle. No harm, no foul.

We are not living in a technological age where replacements of players who are AFK can not be replaced.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
4,145 posts

Seen it and been there done that.  Once for computer issues, once not of my control and even had a black out.

Just because a person is AFK doesn't mean they are doing it on purpose (though I've heard those people exist).

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
1 minute ago, Wowzery said:

Seen it and been there done that.  Once for computer issues, once not of my control and even had a black out.

Just because a person is AFK doesn't mean they are doing it on purpose (though I've heard those people exist).

The issue I have is not because a player is AFK. This has nothing against those that are. The issue is, if a player is AFK, then replace him / her.

As I stated, quote: " We are not living in a technological age where replacements of players who are AFK can not be replaced"

• Bad 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
3 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

The issue I have is not because a player is AFK. This has nothing against those that are. The issue is, if a player is AFK, then replace him / her.

As I stated, quote: " We are not living in a technological age where replacements of players who are AFK can not be replaced"

Have you SEEN WG's AI? I'd much rather have the AFK be stationary and do nothing than have to deal with the stupidity of WG's AI programing...

• Cool 2

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
2 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Have you SEEN WG's AI? I'd much rather have the AFK be stationary and do nothing than have to deal with the stupidity of WG's AI programing...

AFK DD: free spotting for when things go downhill

WG bot DD: one less DD for your team

Members
4,145 posts
1 minute ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Have you SEEN some players?  Good gracious, I'd rather have WG's AI than their stupidity.  Sadly, I've seen many human players who are worse than the bots.  The idea that the human player is always better than a bot is a myth.

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
2 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Even a stupid AI BoT is better than a ship that is stationary.

[5D]
Members
2,222 posts
14,012 battles

Man I thought from the title OP wanted to be made AFK, maybe WG can make that happen anyway..lol

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
Just now, Ricky_Racer said:

Even a stupid AI BoT is better than a ship that is stationary.

You mean a bot that is extremely suicidal and will die in the opening moments of a battle because it literally only sails in a straight line? Or a bot that has 0 disregard for other players and will actively TK, and then you cant even report them for it?

No, I'd much rather have players being that stupid, because then I can at least report them to WG or add them to a blacklist or whatever. WG's bots are not something I want to see in randoms...

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
1 minute ago, Kitsunelegend said:

You mean a bot that is extremely suicidal and will die in the opening moments of a battle because it literally only sails in a straight line? Or a bot that has 0 disregard for other players and will actively TK, and then you cant even report them for it?

No, I'd much rather have players being that stupid, because then I can at least report them to WG or add them to a blacklist or whatever. WG's bots are not something I want to see in randoms...

It's good to see you have no issues with players being AFK, no matter what the battle scenario is. Rank, Random, etc. From what it sounds like, as you have described, a player who is AFK, or even a BoT, will make no difference in the out-come of the game.

• Bad 1

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Afk problem can be fixed. You penalize players who do it frequently, including those inactive for periods of three minutes or longer. 99% of issues players blame WG about are actually the player's fault (ram modules going bad, motherboard failing, HD failing, background programs, video card issues, ancient PC, crap internet provider, etc.). 

You shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes to load back in, hell shouldn't take two minutes. If your broke behind can't buy an SSD, that's not our fault. 

AFK once out of 50 or so games, no problem. But if you're going absent for three plus minutes more than three times in 50 games, it's time to disable random mode temporarily. And each additional AFK extends the timer penalty. 

You'll still get afk players but everyone can have peace of mind knowing that they aren't habitual afk'rs. And that is what frustrates people the most, thinking the afk person does it often. 

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Yes afk-ers are irksome; however today some yoyo in a Yorck took it to a new level.

Stationary auto-firing at an island. Finally discovered by the reds and sunk--firing at the island right to the end.

Yes we lost.

Members
666 posts
4,264 battles
11 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Have you SEEN some players?  Good gracious, I'd rather have WG's AI than their stupidity.  Sadly, I've seen many human players who are worse than the bots.  The idea that the human player is always better than a bot is a myth.

We all make jokes like this but the reality is bots are absolutely terrible and replacing AFKs with them would simply further disadvantage the team with the AFK. An AFK player at least denies the enemy points and might return to the battle at some point. A bot will just rush in and die in the opening minutes. 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
1 minute ago, Ricky_Racer said:

It's good to see you have no issues with players being AFK, no matter what the battle scenario is. Rank, Random, etc. From what it sounds like, as you have described, a player who is AFK, or even a BoT, will make no difference in the out-come of the game.

A bot in a battleship will be meaningless to the match except as a distraction. Any other class will impact the outcome of the game by sticking torpedoes into friendly ships because teammates don't exist to a bot.

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles

Wanna know how to avoid ever having to deal with a teammate being AFK?

Focus on winning your games rather than looking for reasons to lose.

• Cool 3