Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

What are these small guns on Dunkerque's turrets?

14 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

1lXycZQ.jpg

Click to enlarge to 1080p.

You can see small guns flanking Dunkerque's turrets, mounted to the extended base plate. They seem to have some measure of importance as they have ladders towards them and a small walkway for crew to use them. Although limited, they do seem to be built to have a measure of traverse and elevation.

They're not part of the ship's secondary suite nor are they AA guns.

Their mounting location tells me they're not intended to be used when the main battery is active; the muzzle blast from #2 turret would kill the crew operating these small guns on #1 turret.

I don't think they're small caliber guns for taking out small targets since the way they're mounted limits their own traverse and requires the ship to traverse its main turrets.

Are they saluting guns? Perhaps used for naval reviews? Do they fire illumination shells?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,727 posts
11,353 battles

My guess (my totally uneducated guess) would be it's something to do with aiming, maybe flares like you suggested.

Are they only on that camo? Or do they show up on the standard camo too? Never noticed them before.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

They might be training guns like the ones mounted on the Kongo stock hull.  They match the elevations of the main guns and can be used for gunnery practice without expending large calibre shells.

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles

They are visually very similar to those for illumination shells on Roma.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,694 posts
10,037 battles

If not for illumination, I'd guess they're just saluting guns.

Edit: In fact as the 130mm's have a starshell round listed and are therefore capable of firing it, plus the requirement to loft the illumination rounds a decent distance I'm going to go entirely with saluting guns.

Edited by mofton

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
11 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Are they only on that camo? Or do they show up on the standard camo too?

On the standard camo too.

uCpvxd3.jpg

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,441 posts
3,413 battles

I suspect saluting/illumination guns, since they're mounted independent of the main guns compared to the training/aiming adjustment guns on Fuso's barrels.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

They are practice guns for loading. They were added a few patches back.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,410 battles

Well, they look like 47mm AT guns. They've got no fire control aside from possible open sights, no ammo lockers on the platform with them, they're probably saluting guns.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

@LertI think they are 37/50 M1925 anti aircraft guns in single mount.  I found a reference stating that temporarily the Dunkirque had six of them "2 of which were mounted abeam of turret II".  They hadn't yet mounted the twin  37mm's M1933 version. Took some digging.

See  French Battleships 1922-1956 By John Jordan, Robert Dumas  Attached a photo below from Google images.

canon-de-37mm-modc3a8le-1925-france.jpg

Beta Testers
256 posts
5,888 battles

They are "sub-caliber 90 mm guns" again from the French Battleship book cited above.The French apparently had 47 mm saluting guns , so these may have had a training purpose

Sign in to follow this