You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JessieTheKitty

Can German HE on hindenburg citadel the montana?

13 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles

Hey guys so i was just playing a LOL game in my hindenburg when out of nowhere while shooting a monty i get a cit. im sooooo confused i know hindenburg has 1/4 pen **basically IFHE built in** but to citadel a Montana WITHOUT IFHE is just.... wut?

below is a video of me doing it. you can clearly see the HE loaded and when the slavo lands i get a cit. (i also submitted replay if anyone wishes to watch it) 

20180204_111415_PGSC110-Hindenburg_28_naval_mission.wowsreplay

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

Nearly vertical plunging fire, it looks to me.  18km?  (hard to see)  Still seems impossible with HE.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles

Well, taking into account German HE, you get 203/4= 50,75mm of penetration which I think could get into the citadel with plunging fire as mentioned above.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

Watching the video, I tend to agree with those saying plunging fire.  Hard to see it being any other way, River.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles
22 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Well, taking into account German HE, you get 203/4= 50,75mm of penetration which I think could get into the citadel with plunging fire as mentioned above.

With 50.75mm of HE penetration that is still not enough to citadel Montana through the deck.  Montana has 38mm deck armor and 19mm citadel deck, for 57mm to get through.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

With 50.75mm of HE penetration that is still not enough to citadel Montana through the deck.  Montana has 38mm deck armor and 19mm citadel deck, for 57mm to get through.

Thanks for clarifying, couldn't remember the exact armor values on the top of my head.  Then it really beats me. The only other thing I could think of would be splash damage but dont think that even possible. :Smile_hiding:

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles

Probably a big gap somewhere in the armor modeling that we can't see in armor viewer.  Such gaps exist, i.e. where Roma can get citadeled by Z-52 AP.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Probably a big gap somewhere in the armor modeling that we can't see in armor viewer.  Such gaps exist, i.e. where Roma can get citadeled by Z-52 AP.

Or yamato getting citadeled with Mahan's AP. anyhow yeh it is entirely possible. It looks like it all hit the turret / conning tower though

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles
18 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Or yamato getting citadeled with Mahan's AP. anyhow yeh it is entirely possible. It looks like it all hit the turret / conning tower though

There are 2 conning tower spots on Montana, both are 457mm thick.  The very top one has a roof of 197mm.

The Main Battery Turret protection on Montana is also tough.  457mm on the face, 254mm on the sides, 305mm on the rear, 229mm on the roof.  That should be impossible to citadel with Cruiser HE.

There's also the top of the barbette that the main battery rests on.  Some BBs show more of that thinner roof than others, but for Montana it's very, very small, that yellow area in the picture.  Then again, that is 102mm, should be impossible to HE citadel with an extremely unlikely shot hitting there.

QCVHeBV.jpg

Some other high tier BBs and you can see it exposed more, but again, these are thickly armored where Cruiser HE should not punch through.

Yamato

58MBoDM.jpg

Izumo

axsJDHw.jpg

Tirpitz

UxR1iSb.jpg

There's a gap somewhere on Montana.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

The uptakes?  They don't show at all in the armor viewer. 

I wonder if the damage from previous hits is modeled?

Notice also that the salvo that produced the cit impacted forward, yet also incapacitated Steering (I think).  Consistent with a conning tower pen, but really??

Edited by iDuckman

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles
22 hours ago, iDuckman said:

The uptakes?  They don't show at all in the armor viewer. 

I wonder if the damage from previous hits is modeled?

Notice also that the salvo that produced the cit impacted forward, yet also incapacitated Steering (I think).  Consistent with a conning tower pen, but really??

no that was a symbol for me demolishing one of his aa mounts

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles
On 2/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There are 2 conning tower spots on Montana, both are 457mm thick.  The very top one has a roof of 197mm.

The Main Battery Turret protection on Montana is also tough.  457mm on the face, 254mm on the sides, 305mm on the rear, 229mm on the roof.  That should be impossible to citadel with Cruiser HE.

There's also the top of the barbette that the main battery rests on.  Some BBs show more of that thinner roof than others, but for Montana it's very, very small, that yellow area in the picture.  Then again, that is 102mm, should be impossible to HE citadel with an extremely unlikely shot hitting there.

QCVHeBV.jpg

Some other high tier BBs and you can see it exposed more, but again, these are thickly armored where Cruiser HE should not punch through.

Yamato

58MBoDM.jpg

Izumo

axsJDHw.jpg

Tirpitz

UxR1iSb.jpg

There's a gap somewhere on Montana.

never saw that before thank you