Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Map specific tactical suggestions

11 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Has anyone out there put together a list of suggested strategies based on the map configuration?  Urpeacekeeper talks about it some in his videos, but with so many smart people playing this game, I have to believe that someone (or a group of someones) has gone through each map and has determined the best strategy.  I've figured at least a few by myself but it would be great to learn from those of you who have played this game at the highest level. 

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

There used to be a section here dedicated to map discussion.  It was merged into General, I think, so the threads should still be here.  Search for the name of a map and you'll probably find it.  IMO there should be an area in Game Guides for this.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

Ah. I see that @Quaffer's map list has been pinned in the Game Guides forum.  Check it out.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

I appreciate the link to the different maps to become familiar with them.  The information that I'm looking for is a bit different, however.  I'm looking for advice like this:

Map: New Dawn - if you're in a Tier IV-V torp dd, go here first, then try hiding behind this island, ........If your in a gunboat dd, try going here first and then drive North as long as you have CA help nearby........

I understand how situationala battle can be depending on your team, but much like chess, there are probably opening moves that are smarter than others.

UrPeacekeeper will sometimes talk about it in his videos but there's no way to search his videos based on the map.

That make any sense?   

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts

One of the traps Tanks has fallen into is that the game play has become static. If I spawn in this map here, then I will go to this rock and wait to snipe, etc.  I've seen tankers abuse other team members because they find them hiding in their favorite bush.

While there are extremely stupid moves in Ships, such as retreating behind an island until half of your team is dead, I think you will do better by keeping it flexible.

The other thing that is different, is that Tanks lends itself to hard cover.  In Ships your best defense is not some misbegotten rock, it's not being there when the enemy ordinance arrives. Learn to make your ship dance and make sure you vary the steps.  In Tanks everyone has learned the favorite hides and most people know how to deal with them.  In Ships be unpredictable. Dance to victory.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

I appreciate the link to the different maps to become familiar with them.  The information that I'm looking for is a bit different, however.  I'm looking for advice like this:

Map: New Dawn - if you're in a Tier IV-V torp dd, go here first, then try hiding behind this island, ........If your in a gunboat dd, try going here first and then drive North as long as you have CA help nearby........

I understand how situationala battle can be depending on your team, but much like chess, there are probably opening moves that are smarter than others.

UrPeacekeeper will sometimes talk about it in his videos but there's no way to search his videos based on the map.

That make any sense?   

So in Short you want someone else to do your planning for each map instead of finding your own solution.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

No, that's not what I'm asking.  Like I said above, UPeacekeeper in his videos has some gems where he'll say something like, "this group of islands is where most dd drivers will head for, so you have to counter it with....fill in the blank".  Each map layout will have tendencies, things that you guys that have played lots of battles on certain maps will have seen many times before. Humans have tendencies given geographic layouts that they will, without thinking, go to.  For example, in a Tier IV fight on certain maps, I KNOW where the red dds are going to go.  I know because I have seen it play out over and over the same way.  Now that I'm in Tier VI fights in in Random, I want to be the most effective teammate that I can be.  It doesn't help any of you having me as a teammate that I'm seeing new maps and I drive into places where you've seen red teams trap boats before.  I'm trying to be a quality player.  

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Watch this video.  He talks about map tendencies as it relates to Situational Awareness:

[WOLF2]
Members
864 posts
7,002 battles

Also, check out Lord_Zath's video analysis.  Good stuff there, and he provides critique and commentary.   He'll comment, asking why a player didn't push up, etc., and offer an alternative suggestion.   It's been very helpful.

An easy game to learn, but way tougher to master.   

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Found it! (at least two). 

Please encourage the WOWs staff to make many more of these This is EXACTLY what I was looking for (https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/bornonamonday/ and https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/map-tactics-new-dawn/)

You want newer players to be better?  Have them watch videos like teses.

Sign in to follow this