Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

TA as a Captain's skill in the Fabuki

17 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Have a 10 pt Captain in my Fabuki.  Very recently, I changed up his skills to include TA (torpedo acceleration).  He currently has PT, PM, TA, LS, SI.  I know that I can redistribute to get to CE (4 pts) if I give up PT and LS.

Those are two of my must-have skills in my dd drivers.  Is it worth it?

FYI, the increase in the torp speed has made a difference.  It drives the bots in Co-Op nuts plus it human players in Random seem surprised as well.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

You need Concealment Expert.

YOU NEED IT!!

Especially since Fubuki and Akatsuki have abnormally high detection ranges for a Japanese destroyer.

• Cool 2

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Even if it means giving up Last Stand (gulp!)

[HYDRO]
Members
1,330 posts
3,669 battles

You really need the concealment since if you get caught with your pants down by a USN or VMF DD you can get destroyed pretty fast. Personally the build I use mostly for torpedoboats is PT, LS (possibly the most important skill for DDs after CE) TAE to boost your reload time then finally CE to get a camo advantage over gunships. Then you can invest an additional 2 points in AR to make your torpedo reload time even better as you lose hp. I feel that at this tier the advantage of increased torp speed vs flat camo advantage is not worth it.

Members
4,747 posts
5,466 battles

Core skills for IJN DDs are PM, LS, TAE, and CE. These should always be your first 10 captain points(unless your IJN DD is named Akizuki). If you want to use TA on Fubuki, make it the skill you acquire at 12 points.

TA is alright on Fubuki. It turns her into a poor man's Shinonome. The extra speed is worth it if you're not used to the slower torpedoes and losing the range is not really a big deal so long as you've maxed out your concealment. I used TA in my initial grind through Fubuki to Akatsuki and it did help. After I acquired Akatsuki, I never put TA on the new captain for Fubuki. It's entirely possible to work with the slower IJN torpedoes, just not easy and it takes some getting used to. I don't have Fubuki anymore since I have Shinonome, which has TA built into the torpedoes.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[TBW]
Members
6,351 posts
11,894 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Even if it means giving up Last Stand (gulp!)

I never use last stand on my DD's, I don't find it necessary.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,525 posts
24,667 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I never use last stand on my DD's, I don't find it necessary.

I love you. I love sinking you. 

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
6,019 battles

10 points you should focus on

PM LS SE CE

The next 2 points is TA definitely. Fubuki/Akatsuki/Kagero torps are badly in need of TA to be effective at all. 8km at tier 6 is more than enough as there is no radar/hydro

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

OK, OK I give.  You all have convinced me that Concealment Expert is essential.  I'm going to hate to lose Torpedo Acceleration.  My highest IJN Captain is my 11 pt Iso Captain.  Worth it to switch and push for that next point?

Members
842 posts

To be honest, the extra 5 knots in speed doesn't really make much of a difference for the Fubuki.  I have a Shiniome, which is effectively the Fubuki with TA.   I don't score more hits with it than the Fubu, and the extra 2km  on the Fubu torps is actually nicer to avoid detection.

That is, I score equally well in the Shiniome with 8km/63knot torps as I do in the Fubuki with 10km/59knot torps. I just tend to live longer in the Fubuki due to the extra 2km of distance in stealth it affords me. 

I don't really see TA as a terribly useful skill on virtually any IJN DD, with the exception of maybe the Shimakaze with the 12km torps (or, if you're desperate, on the 20km torps). 

The 2 points are far better saved for any of the following:

TAE, AR, or SI.  

Frankly, I'd do AR first. 

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
6 hours ago, AMajor said:

OK, OK I give.  You all have convinced me that Concealment Expert is essential.  I'm going to hate to lose Torpedo Acceleration.  My highest IJN Captain is my 11 pt Iso Captain.  Worth it to switch and push for that next point?

If you are only playing Co-op, you can get by without CE pretty easily.  But against humans, yeah...you need it.

FWIW, I ran my (pre-split) Fubuki with TA and you're right--it does produce more hits.  But in hindsight, I think that a good chunk of those "additional" hits were because I was forced to launch closer to my targets, vs. the torpedoes being faster.  And since I was also running CE on that captain, "closer" often equated to <6km away...a bit trickier to do that now that radar is everywhere, but it's still worth doing when you can.

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
6,019 battles
4 hours ago, Harv72b said:

If you are only playing Co-op, you can get by without CE pretty easily.  But against humans, yeah...you need it.

FWIW, I ran my (pre-split) Fubuki with TA and you're right--it does produce more hits.  But in hindsight, I think that a good chunk of those "additional" hits were because I was forced to launch closer to my targets, vs. the torpedoes being faster.  And since I was also running CE on that captain, "closer" often equated to <6km away...a bit trickier to do that now that radar is everywhere, but it's still worth doing when you can.

Not really, if a torp is easily detected, launch closer doesn't change how much chance you have to hit the target. I am running TA on Kagero for the Type 93 mod 2, 8km 72kts and I start hitting cruisers, not just BBs. The stock 10km 67kts are decent against BBs but they never hit cruisers or even smoked up DDs. So in my experience, TA is totally worth it for Kagero and hence, for Fubuki and Akatsuki. At Yugumo, however, radars are everywhere so 9.6km torps can't cut it for me. I will change back once the clan war start.

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
5 hours ago, l1nv5 said:

Not really, if a torp is easily detected, launch closer doesn't change how much chance you have to hit the target. I am running TA on Kagero for the Type 93 mod 2, 8km 72kts and I start hitting cruisers, not just BBs. The stock 10km 67kts are decent against BBs but they never hit cruisers or even smoked up DDs. So in my experience, TA is totally worth it for Kagero and hence, for Fubuki and Akatsuki. At Yugumo, however, radars are everywhere so 9.6km torps can't cut it for me. I will change back once the clan war start.

The closer you are to a target when you launch, the tighter the spreads will remain when they reach the target.  So even when they see them nearly 2km away it's more difficult to completely dodge a well-aimed salvo.

Edited by Harv72b

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles
On 2/4/2018 at 1:54 PM, warpath_33 said:

You need Concealment Expert.

YOU NEED IT!!

Especially since Fubuki and Akatsuki have abnormally high detection ranges for a Japanese destroyer.

Update: Grind, grind, grind in Co-op PLUS throwing in a few doubloons and now my Fubuki captain has 12 pts so I get CE AND TA!  Am one happy camper now. 

As a side note - I've noticed that the Tier VI maps have a lot more islands.  Seems to favor dd play.  Do the WOW programmers do that on purpose because the CV play gets more aggressive and the CEs are more dangerous? 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
On 07/02/2018 at 2:22 PM, AMajor said:

Update: Grind, grind, grind in Co-op PLUS throwing in a few doubloons and now my Fubuki captain has 12 pts so I get CE AND TA!  Am one happy camper now. 

As a side note - I've noticed that the Tier VI maps have a lot more islands.  Seems to favor dd play.  Do the WOW programmers do that on purpose because the CV play gets more aggressive and the CEs are more dangerous? 

The increase in number of islands is also there so Cruisers can hide their Citadel and still lob shots. 

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
6,019 battles
On 2/8/2018 at 3:11 AM, Harv72b said:

The closer you are to a target when you launch, the tighter the spreads will remain when they reach the target.  So even when they see them nearly 2km away it's more difficult to completely dodge a well-aimed salvo.

Yes it will be more difficult but arguably negligible, as long as there is a BB bow in gap, it can be dodged

[KSC]
Supertester
53 posts
7,246 battles

My basic 10 point ijn captain starts as pt,ls,tae and ce.  This allows for a very submarine like dd play. In kami I sit just outside  my detection range and torp ships at will without them ever spotting me. in fubuki and akatsuki I try to stay closer to my max torp range as there concealment ranges are a lot higher and the buffer between being spotted and not being spotted is a lot less. Kagero returns you back to the submarine style torping just outside concealment range as it can be brought to a measley 5 and change km detection range. I would argue the TA skill is good in a tier 9 and 10 dd as the added range on the torpedoes 12km and 20km respectively allows the negative range penalty from the skill to be mitigated much easier while not sacrificing the long range of the torpedoes and low concealment the ijn dds are known for.  

Sign in to follow this