You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

Where were the Chikuma's torpedo tubes?

4 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

I mean the Tier 2 Chikuma. I search images, but none have the torpedo tubes labelled.

Because 3x457mm torpedo tubes is NOT a weak torpedo armament, it says deck tubes, but since I doubt they'd build it asymmetrically, that's a turntable somewhere, and I can't seem to find it.

If that's a turntable, then an argument could be made for Chikuma to be an alternative to Tenryu at Tier 3 for gun-happy players. This would be awfully convenient as it lets me suggest Yodo (Inb4 "Yodo, I am" jokes) as a Tier 1 IJN cruiser and Tone as a Tier 2. WG can then troll players by informing them that the Tone is already in the game, and to stop complaining about the Tone-class :cap_book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodo-class_cruiser

2x 4.7-inch guns and 4x 12-pounders on a 22-knot hull with a 63mm armoured deck looks like a reasonably sane Tier 1 to me (yeah, leaving out the torp tubes, I know). It's a bit weak in firepower, but would be cause for other Tier 1s to sling their AP occasionally instead of only firing HE. It also frees the Hashidate from being a much later design than the ones it leads to. It's only about 1300-1400 metric tons in displacement so wouldn't shaft the HP balance too badly either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Tone_(1907)

And the Tone is much heavier at 4200-5000 metric tons standard/max. 2 QF 6-inch L/40 with 7 ROF (historically reasonable), and secondary of 10x 4.7-inch would not be too deranged at Tier 2 provided the 2ndary range isn't too horrible (cough Mikasa cough), or if the 3x457mm torp tubes are on a turntable.

Sadly the Tone would be vastly overpowered at Tier 1, hence my question on the Chikuma's torpedoes.

I would suggest Yodo for Tier 1 regardless when I make a thread in General Discussion as a catalogue of all my suggestions, but I'm asking about the Chikuma for the sake of the constant Tone complaints and to appease WG's need to troll players.

EDIT: Ye gods I hope it wasn't one centerline tube at bow and two broadside tubes...

Edited by Guardian54

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

No tier 2 cruisers have torps for a reason, its for balance 

The reason I'm asking is to wonder if the Chikuma could be kludged up to Tier 3 as a slower, more gun-based alternative to Tenryu (WG isn't averse to this, see IL-8 vs IL-10 in Warplanes) so that Tone can get into the game in at Tier 2.

It's not the cruiser Tone most players are asking for, but WG is good at trolling us anyhow. Might as well use that productively, eh?

EDIT: fixed a typo. Also, the Yodo at 22 knots with decent armour deck on a protected cruiser and two 4.7-inch guns seems like a good match for the original Chester (24 knots, two 5-inch guns, and a belt that's cheese to anyone's AP) with better protection, more compact target, and slightly worse firepower and mobility.

Edited by Guardian54
  • Bad 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles

Looking at images of the Chikuma class, if the launchers were above deck, they would have been in single launchers, 1 per side, and one either on the bow or on the stern. The launchers may have been fixed, which would make them less obvious in pictures. There's no room on centerline for a 3 tube turntable without being seen. 

The in game model shows 1 possible hatch, near the stern on each side, below main deck that might have had torps behind them, but Japanese 18" torps of the era are about 5 meters longs, and Chikuma is only 14 meters wide, the doors are in line with each other. It would be really awkward to load them.

It's also possible that Chikuma in game is either Yahagi or Hirado which both survived into the late 30's as training ships and would have lost the torpedo tubes and stowage for additional quarters and class rooms.