You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Is it my imagination, or has the skill of CV play improved?

11 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Is it just me, or are you guys playing Tier V and VI dds getting harassed more by air power lately?  It seems like the opposing team tries to take us out early.

Any suggestions as to how to counter this?  I've tried swinging wide, but that takes me out of the fight for too long.  I may survive, but I don't help the team much.  I've smoked up and turned my AA off, but burning off a smoke to counter planes means then I don't have the smoke when the cruiser comes around the island and nails me later on in the game.

My captains in my Tier V-VI boats (USN and IJN) are in the 8-12 pt range, so I don't have the flexibility to configure them to be stronger AA ships.

Any suggestions as to how to counter the air threat would be appreciated.  Also, is there a way in the training room to set it up so that I can practice dodging air launch torps?  

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,195 battles

Tier 6 is the seal-clubbing tier for high-tier CV captains who want to come down and punch on a new CV captain. So what you're seeing is high-tier tactics, where taking out the DDs is one of the CV's early goals.

There isn't much of a counter besides being near an ally that can help with AA, so if the CV goes after you, you can get some help; if the CV fails to strike you, they may go after another target. You're maneuverable enough in DDs you should be able to dodge most strikes.

As for the training room, you'd need to have someone with a CV join you on the opposite team; the bots don't move or use weapons, so you can't practice alone.

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Just tried something in a game.  Replaced my speed boost upgrade with a Defensive AA fire upgrade in a Nicholas.  It helped (although I wish it lasted longer).  Smart trade off or dumb move?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles
18 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Just tried something in a game.  Replaced my speed boost upgrade with a Defensive AA fire upgrade in a Nicholas.  It helped (although I wish it lasted longer).  Smart trade off or dumb move?

Situational, if there's no CV, you're reduced to popping catapult fighters that are spotting you in exchange for the speed boost. Which may or may not be worthwhile to you. If you can live on a speed flag instead of a speed boost, more power to ya.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

having DF is noice, but not an option for most DD.   As a DD player,  everytime you see a survey,  you need to feedback that  CV need to be balanced by losing perma spotting capability. 

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles

As always, start dodging the torpedoes before they are actually in the water.  Ideally, dodge the planes entirely so you aren't spotted, but this isn't always possible against a good carrier player without completely taking yourself out of the battle (as you said).  Using your smoke to escape plane detection is definitely not the preferred option, but it is an option so long as you have some friendly AA nearby to prevent the carrier simply circling the planes overhead or coming back when your smoke runs out (because they will know how long your smoke lasts).

In a way, going up against some strong CV players in your T5-6 ships is a good thing, as you do need to get used to this carrier tactic before you get into the high tier ships; high tier USN destroyers generally have pretty good AA, but it's still not going to be enough to take down a concerted carrier strike without help.  So when you get deleted in the first few minutes of the game by bombers, spend some time thinking about what you could have done differently to avoid the strike or to better mitigate the damage once it was inevitable.  Equipping defensive fire will help (and losing speed burst shouldn't be that much of an issue), but it will only help so much in the ships you're talking about.

[STURM]
Members
15 posts
2,957 battles

Is it just me, or are you guys playing Tier V and VI dds getting harassed more by air power lately?

Not being facetious, but it is probably just you.  I noticed it as well, as it seemed I was always shadowed by planes keeping me perma spotted and suddenly the game bumped a notch harder.   Then at tier VI, you find yourself matched with tier VIII boats and it seems radar is everywhere and that sneaky other DD has hydro, and it is raining shells from every corner of the map, no matter how deep a corner you're hiding in.  

Also, you can run into seal clubbing CV drivers who want to relax by waxing lower tier DDs for sport (thankfully not as often as CV Bob's first attempt at CV), and in fact, the coolest message I have ever received in this game was from just such a seal clubbing CV driver who attempted to cross drop me 4 times, the first one he/she botched, one they landed a single torp, and the last two failed as I saw them coming and prepared (still, only by a hair).   Learned a LOT that match about planes and the importance of AA upgrades when you can get them.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I wouldn't say it's just him. But one thing to remember is that ALL ships, DD's especially, have significantly weaker AA protection at T4-5 than any other tier. So whatever he's "feeling" is amplified because those Tiers are Early Dreadnought / ww1 where historically CVs weren't considered a Ship Threat; resulting in weaker AA suites. 

The inter-war period of T6 is the primary start of ships and Navies understanding that CVs are a threat to ships and AA starts becoming more prevelant.

But the "it's probably just you" also has a bit to do with it. Especially since CVs outside certain hours of the day are rarities. 

[STURM]
Members
15 posts
2,957 battles
9 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

I wouldn't say it's just him. But one thing to remember is that ALL ships, DD's especially, have significantly weaker AA protection at T4-5 than any other tier. So whatever he's "feeling" is amplified because those Tiers are Early Dreadnought / ww1 where historically CVs weren't considered a Ship Threat; resulting in weaker AA suites. 

The inter-war period of T6 is the primary start of ships and Navies understanding that CVs are a threat to ships and AA starts becoming more prevelant.

But the "it's probably just you" also has a bit to do with it. Especially since CVs outside certain hours of the day are rarities. 

Well you start seeing CVs in like tier III and IV for the first time and while many DD drivers have this almost pathological compulsion to kill the carrier, they, for the most part, are not really that dangerous when using auto-drop.   Once you hit a level they can manual drop, you seem to run into the expected three tiers.... first being a noob who is mashing buttons and hoping for the best, the second being someone who has mashed enough buttons and kind of figured it out, and the last being a ranked clan madman who wants to take a break from the stress of tier VIII-X and just slaughter some noobs for some relaxing giggles. 

It is funny hearing BBs in tier IV-VI screaming for DDs to provide AA support when MOST don't have any to speak of, save a few specific ships.   They watched a video of Flamu in a Gearing and think every DD is capable of it.   Fun aside, I didn't see CV's becoming a serious issue for me as a DD driver until about tier VI on a consistent basis anyway.  

However, in summation, since the time the OP posted their concerns and thoughts and now, the balance may have been tweaked as it seems such things are in a constant state of change so, what is relevant now, may not be tomorrow, but in the end, I'd rather face two average CV drivers than a match against 3 to 1 radar, any day of the week.  :)