Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Disappointed at the lack of a tier 7 premium cruiser...

54 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I thought I would pick up a tier 7 cruiser to take advantage of this week's Operation because I have only the Leningrad at tier 7. I'm surprised and disappointed with the lack of premium cruisers at tier 7. I've decided to be a Cruiser main and a DD minor, so I wanted some premiums at a tier less than 8 but not low tier. 

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles
5 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I thought I would pick up a tier 7 cruiser to take advantage of this week's Operation because I have only the Leningrad at tier 7. I'm surprised and disappointed with the lack of premium cruisers at tier 7. I've decided to be a Cruiser main and a DD minor, so I wanted some premiums at a tier less than 8 but not low tier. 

Atlanta and Indianapolis are two T7 premium cruisers, but I don't think that they are on sale right now. With the US cruiser split coming up in Apr-Junish, I can see them going on sale again.

Belfast is another T7 premium, but it is overpowered and is no longer for sale. I think you can get it in a SC, but you would probably have a better chance with the lottery. :) Belfast was in the 2017 Santa Crates, so probably should be in the 2018 Santa crates. That usually happens for a month or so starting the 20ish of December.

Edited by Kizarvexis
added premium

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,085 posts
4,098 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Atlanta and Indianapolis are two T7 cruisers, but I don't think that they are on sale right now. With the US cruiser split coming up in Apr-Junish, I can see them going on sale again.

Belfast is another T7 premium, but it is overpowered and is no longer for sale. I think you can get it in a SC, but you would probably have a better chance with the lottery. :) Belfast was in the 2017 Santa Crates, so probably should be in the 2018 Santa crates. That usually happens for a month or so starting the 20ish of December.

Indiana is the only one on sale atm

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Atlanta and Indianapolis are two T7 premium cruisers, but I don't think that they are on sale right now. With the US cruiser split coming up in Apr-Junish, I can see them going on sale again.

I was able to get a batch of crates...I got 3 Russian ships and a Dunquerke out of it. Indianapolis might be in the tech tree...is it a decent ship?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,049 posts
9,289 battles

Scharnhorst best T7 premium cruiser

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles
15 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Indiana is the only one on sale atm

I have both, so I wasn't sure. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I was able to get a batch of crates...I got 3 Russian ships and a Dunquerke out of it. Indianapolis might be in the tech tree...is it a decent ship?

Indianapolis is basically a Pensacola with RADAR. It is squishy and has good guns. Pensacola is moving to T6, but we have not heard anything about Indianapolis moving. With RADAR, I highly doubt it will move to T6 or move an lose the RADAR.

LWM has much more experience in WoWs than I, so I would suggest checking out her Indianapolis review. This review is older, so smoke no longer concealing a ship and captain skills are going to be different.

3 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

True, but I think he really wants a cruiser.  :)

Edited by Kizarvexis
miss spelled or

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Indianapolis FTW.

Just as good as Belfast.

No, not really.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles
29 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

26 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

True, but I think he really wants a cruiser.  :)

Agree.  But the Shiny Horse plays a lot like a cruiser.  Add a speed flag and it will run with most.  

But I thought they'd (at least for a while) put the Hotlanta in the tree for dubs.  

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Well, I enjoy the Marblehead even though it's meh. Is the Indianapolis better or worse tier for tier?  The review makes it seem awful. 

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles
10 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

We need the Alaska as a tier 7 premium :Smile_hiding:

Yes! 

That BC needs to be in the BB line! :Smile_honoring:

10 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Agree.  But the Shiny Horse plays a lot like a cruiser.  Add a speed flag and it will run with most.  

But I thought they'd (at least for a while) put the Hotlanta in the tree for dubs.  

Scharnhorst does play a lot like a cruiser, even though it is a BB.

I bet when the US split happens April to June-ish, the Indianapolis and Atlanta will both be for sale.

1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

Well, I enjoy the Marblehead even though it's meh. Is the Indianapolis better or worse tier for tier?  The review makes it seem awful. 

i would say that the Indianapolis and Marblehead are similar at their tiers. I like both. But I have less than 40 games in PvP in any of my ships, so I'm still a noob with it.

Beta Testers
166 posts
5,748 battles
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

IMO the Indy is not a good ship at all. The Marblehead, while outclassed, is at least fun. The Indy is painful to play and just not a fun ship. The LWM review says it all so I am not going to go over all the Cons but I would spend your money on something else. There are actually some fun and ok to good premium cruisers at tier 6 that I would recommend instead (De Grasse comes to mind). 

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,553 battles
3 minutes ago, Sivle said:

IMO the Indy is not a good ship at all. The Marblehead, while outclassed, is at least fun. The Indy is painful to play and just not a fun ship. The LWM review says it all so I am not going to go over all the Cons but I would spend your money on something else. There are actually some fun and ok to good premium cruisers at tier 6 that I would recommend instead (De Grasse comes to mind). 

Depends if you know how and do effectively use radar.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles
6 minutes ago, Sivle said:

yes, but he said he wanted a T7 for operations.

The only two that come to mind are Atlanta and Indianapolis, both of which are perfectly fine for Narai.

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles

@BullpupWOT I forgot to mention that Indianapolis has had a few minor buffs since that review. That is why I asked LWM if she could give you a quick update.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles

Indianapolis lost its defining feature, the exclusivity of tier 7 radar, in the months following that review when Atlanta got buffed and Belfast appeared in the game.  She had some slight improvements to her protection scheme and a nudge to her rate of fire to make her a little more attractive.  She's a solid "Mehbote", more than capable in the right hands but hardly advantageous.  If you enjoy the heavy cruiser gameplay of New Orleans but want to play something similar at tier 7, then Indianapolis is a great investment.  If you loathe the playstyle of the American Heavy Cruisers, then Indianapolis won't rescue it for you.

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Indianapolis lost its defining feature, the exclusivity of tier 7 radar, in the months following that review when Atlanta got buffed and Belfast appeared in the game.  She had some slight improvements to her protection scheme and a nudge to her rate of fire to make her a little more attractive.  She's a solid "Mehbote", more than capable in the right hands but hardly advantageous.  If you enjoy the heavy cruiser gameplay of New Orleans but want to play something similar at tier 7, then Indianapolis is a great investment.  If you loathe the playstyle of the American Heavy Cruisers, then Indianapolis won't rescue it for you.

Thank you so much. You are the best CC.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
22 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

@BullpupWOT I forgot to mention that Indianapolis has had a few minor buffs since that review. That is why I asked LWM if she could give you a quick update.

Thanks...Jingles' review was positive and I'm starting UrPeaceKeeper's vid now. I'm torn from an efficiency of purchases standpoint as well though. I would love to have a tier 7 premium for each nation with a cruiser line, but having the Marblehead, am I really being efficient with my money?  The operations benefits are making me consider this...if I can pull in 250k+ in the Leningrad, the Indianapolis could earn good silver and crew train at the same time. Decisions decisions. 

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Did it retain mobility?  My gameplay thus far has been successful in the maneuverable cruisers. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles
11 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Did it retain mobility?  My gameplay thus far has been successful in the maneuverable cruisers. 

It did indeed.  Indianapolis has received nothing but improvements since that review, so her agility was untouched.

[PVE]
Members
8,851 posts
7,257 battles
11 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Thanks...Jingles' review was positive and I'm starting UrPeaceKeeper's vid now. I'm torn from an efficiency of purchases standpoint as well though. I would love to have a tier 7 premium for each nation with a cruiser line, but having the Marblehead, am I really being efficient with my money?  The operations benefits are making me consider this...if I can pull in 250k+ in the Leningrad, the Indianapolis could earn good silver and crew train at the same time. Decisions decisions. 

Oh wait, WOT is different with captain training. In WOT you have to train a light crew on a light tank. In WoWs, you do not. You can put any captain from a nation into any of that nations ships.

So if you have Marblehead, you can train any US captain. DD, CA, BB, CV whatever. The benefit of having multiple premiums is bouncing your captain through them all to get more first win bonuses. T7 does tend to earn more XP and silver than T5.

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
1 hour ago, Fodder4U said:

Damn right.

[INTEL]
Members
8,428 posts
25,288 battles
16 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

yes, but he said he wanted a T7 for operations.

The only two that come to mind are Atlanta and Indianapolis, both of which are perfectly fine for Narai.

Atlanta is the best ship for Narai. Indianapolis lacks torps and has too slow a reload, and radar is of very limited use in Narai. Algerie is relatively better than Indy for Narai, but Fiji with its higher DPM and very useful torps is also good. 

Sign in to follow this