Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DESRON10

USS Omaha LCS -12 Commissioned on Saturday

48 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

220
[P2W]
Members
688 posts

Quite a difference from the Omaha we know!

5a75d4992624b.image.jpg?resize=1700,1133

The USS Omaha(LCS 12), an Independence Class littoral combat ship, sits at Broadway Pier in San Diego, California, Friday, February 2, 2018, a day before its commissioning ceremony.

Edited by DESRON10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
75
[90THC]
Members
444 posts
5,404 battles

i wonder how large her citadel is?

 

Also is it me or do WW1 and WW2 era ships look way better than modern ones.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
57 minutes ago, KommandantPerry said:

i wonder how large her citadel is?

 

Also is it me or do WW1 and WW2 era ships look way better than modern ones.

Yeah I agree, I know why they make them this way now, but still that is a butt ugly ship.

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,788 posts
17,406 battles

I want to use that ship in game & you can make the flight deck totally unusable & the armor made out of tin foil...I just want to be able to fire whatever ballistics that single turret fires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
2 hours ago, KommandantPerry said:

i wonder how large her citadel is?

 

Also is it me or do WW1 and WW2 era ships look way better than modern ones.

:Smile_honoring:

1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Yeah I agree, I know why they make them this way now, but still that is a butt ugly ship.

:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,912 posts
2,492 battles

Armour is thinner than paper I bet. Hit it with anything explosive and it's going to be out for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
8 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

Armour is thinner than paper I bet. Hit it with anything explosive and it's going to be out for a while.

 

As I understand it a lot of aluminum was used as one of the roles it is to fill is as a minesweeper. I would be surprised if the LCS' had more than DD levels of armor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
360
[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

As I understand it a lot of aluminum was used as one of the roles it is to fill is as a minesweeper. I would be surprised if the LCS' had more than DD levels of armor.

Given what hAppens to aluminium when it interacts with fire, the (significant lack of) armor is irrelevant.  Shes a deathtrap to her crew if she ever has to sail into harms way.  Best of luck to her crews, and hopefully we can kill the LCS program before we build all 36 of them.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
1 minute ago, Hatework said:

Given what hAppens to aluminium when it interacts with fire, the (significant lack of) armor is irrelevant.  Shes a deathtrap to her crew if she ever has to sail into harms way.  Best of luck to her crews, and hopefully we can kill the LCS program before we build all 36 of them.

 

Oh yeah, I understand about that. Supposedly there are fire suppression and retardant systems, but I'm not so sure they can stand up to ship killing missiles.

 

I get why they used aluminium as you are going to be looking for magnetic mines, but I would have went with a more conventional ships with remotes for mine work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
507
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,951 posts
1,487 battles
29 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Given what hAppens to aluminium when it interacts with fire, the (significant lack of) armor is irrelevant.  Shes a deathtrap to her crew if she ever has to sail into harms way.  Best of luck to her crews, and hopefully we can kill the LCS program before we build all 36 of them.

 

Care to explain what you mean by that? If you think Aluminium burns in a fire, your wrong. it's a false rumour started after the falklands. Now Titanium alloy, thats a different matter.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
587
[ARRGG]
Members
4,678 posts
7,503 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I want to use that ship in game & you can make the flight deck totally unusable & the armor made out of tin foil...I just want to be able to fire whatever ballistics that single turret fires.

Yes you can see it plays now

this US ship has a 1 rapid firing 120 mm cannon.. reload time 1 second it just keeps on firing,

range 30k

speed - she’s fast at 65 knots 

rudder shift-1, she turns in her own length

detection- she’s stealthy .5 k or when you run into it

no smoke it doesn’t need it

buy it now in the Premium shop before we nerf it and once you own it .. no nerfing .. just kidding on that one

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53
[STW-N]
Beta Testers
263 posts
14,739 battles
52 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Given what hAppens to aluminium when it interacts with fire, the (significant lack of) armor is irrelevant.  Shes a deathtrap to her crew if she ever has to sail into harms way.  Best of luck to her crews, and hopefully we can kill the LCS program before we build all 36 of them.

LCS was put on the back burner.  It's why the Arleigh Burke class was restarted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
21 minutes ago, Carl said:

 

Care to explain what you mean by that? If you think Aluminium burns in a fire, your wrong. it's a false rumour started after the falklands. Now Titanium alloy, thats a different matter.

Aluminium does melt a lower temps than steel and since the superstructure is aluminium, then having it melt in a fire would be a bad thing.

 

 

10 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Yes you can see it plays now

this US ship has a 1 rapid firing 120 mm cannon.. reload time 1 second it just keeps on firing,

range 30k

speed - she’s fast at 65 knots 

rudder shift-1, she turns in her own length

detection- she’s stealthy .5 k or when you run into it

no smoke it doesn’t need it

buy it now in the Premium shop before we nerf it and once you own it .. no nerfing .. just kidding on that one

 

 

Yes, a premium CL. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
31 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Yes you can see it plays now

this US ship has a 1 rapid firing 120 mm cannon.. reload time 1 second it just keeps on firing,

range 30k

speed - she’s fast at 65 knots 

rudder shift-1, she turns in her own length

detection- she’s stealthy .5 k or when you run into it

no smoke it doesn’t need it

buy it now in the Premium shop before we nerf it and once you own it .. no nerfing .. just kidding on that one

 

 

19 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Aluminium does melt a lower temps than steel and since the superstructure is aluminium, then having it melt in a fire would be a bad thing.

 

 

 

Yes, a premium CL. :Smile_teethhappy:

It is still a butt ugly ship, it makes the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya look good:cap_haloween:

Only thing worst is the Zumwalt:Smile_facepalm:that is butt ugly and has been hit with the fugly stick a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
8,068 posts
17,032 battles
51 minutes ago, toe_ said:

LCS was put on the back burner.  It's why the Arleigh Burke class was restarted.

"Littoral...'

Modernize the sensors and propulsion and give it some CWIS  if you must; but I've always felt a Fletcher would be better at all things 'Littoral' than anything like an LCS... (except minesweeping of course...)

If nothing else; the firestorm a Fletcher could put out should do plenty to discourage 'pirates' and 'revolutionary guard' types around the Arabian Sea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

"Littoral...'

Modernize the sensors and propulsion and give it some CWIS  if you must; but I've always felt a Fletcher would be better at all things 'Littoral' than anything like an LCS... (except minesweeping of course...)

If nothing else; the firestorm a Fletcher could put out should do plenty to discourage 'pirates' and 'revolutionary guard' types around the Arabian Sea...

 

The LCS ships have a manpower complement one tenth a Fletcher and that is a selling point for the Navy. I would rather have the Fletcher as well, but I'm old school. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220
[P2W]
Members
688 posts
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

As I understand it a lot of aluminum was used as one of the roles it is to fill is as a minesweeper. I would be surprised if the LCS' had more than DD levels of armor.

Aluminum has been used for a while, The Spruance class that I was on only had 1/2" corrugated aluminum for the superstructure. So When I was sitting at My console in the CIC I could be hit by a .50 Cal round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220
[P2W]
Members
688 posts
36 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

"Littoral...'

Modernize the sensors and propulsion and give it some CWIS  if you must; but I've always felt a Fletcher would be better at all things 'Littoral' than anything like an LCS... (except minesweeping of course...)

If nothing else; the firestorm a Fletcher could put out should do plenty to discourage 'pirates' and 'revolutionary guard' types around the Arabian Sea...

When we were patrolling the Straights of Hormuz and Persian gulf back in 1985, our Captain would screw with them as they were hijacking commercial ships and kicking the crews off and taking the ships .

He had a color radar (same as used on merchant vessels) installed on the ship so we could go dark on emissions and appear as a merchant vessel on ELINT.

 

 

Edited by DESRON10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
11 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

Aluminum has been used for a while, The Spruance class that I was on only had 1/2" corrugated aluminum for the superstructure. So When I was sitting at My console in the CIC I could be hit by a .50 Cal round.

 

To me, that is too little armor. Ships should be immune to fire from a .50cal that was used on fighters. Heck, you could mount that on a tripod in canoe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220
[P2W]
Members
688 posts
21 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

To me, that is too little armor. Ships should be immune to fire from a .50cal that was used on fighters. Heck, you could mount that on a tripod in canoe!

A funny note, when they added the armoured box launchers for the Tomohawk's it made our ship so top heavy it listed to one side and the ship would almost capsize when making a high speed turn.

The solution they came up with was to put counter weight in our voids in the hull to keep her from turning over due to the weight of the ABL's wanting to flip the ship over.

Edited by DESRON10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
6 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

A funny note, when they added the armoured box launchers for the Tomohawk's it made our ship so top heavy it listed to one side and the ship would almost capsize when making a high speed turn.

The solution they came up with was to put counter weight in our voids in the hull to keep her from turning over due to the weight of the ABL's wanting to flip the ship over.

 

Crazy. They should have stuck the armored box launchers on the edge of the hull down inside with the tops sticking out and had a hatch to vent exhaust so lower the top weight. I bet there were designs for something like that, but sticking them on top was easier and cheaper, but not safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220
[P2W]
Members
688 posts
9 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

Crazy. They should have stuck the armored box launchers on the edge of the hull down inside with the tops sticking out and had a hatch to vent exhaust so lower the top weight. I bet there were designs for something like that, but sticking them on top was easier and cheaper, but not safer.

Thus the reason that Vertical Launch Systems were designed/used after the ABL's were installed on ships.

VLS_Baselines2.jpgmk-41-vls-pc008-053.jpg

Edited by DESRON10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[PVE]
Members
8,895 posts
7,288 battles
1 minute ago, DESRON10 said:

Thus the reason that Vertical Launch Systems were designed/used after the ABL's were installed on ships.

 

Ah, that make more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
507
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,951 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Aluminium does melt a lower temps than steel and since the superstructure is aluminium, then having it melt in a fire would be a bad thing.

 

 

 

True but that apparently wasn't a serious issue for various british ships in the Falklands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×