Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Trollphoon

Non-BB Free XP Ships

17 comments in this topic

Members
87 posts
402 battles

I think the game needs some non-BB free XP ships. So far each of them have been BBs (Missouri, Nelson, Musashi). Here are my ideas:

Exeter: Famously participated in the Battle of the River Plate with Ajax and Achilles, seriously wounding the Graf Spee and sustaining serious damage herself. 

Zuikaku: The longest-surviving Japanese CV that participated in the Battle of Midway Pearl Harbour. Sunk at Leyte Gulf as a decoy (rather sad). Would be cool to see how this ship can be fit in after the carrier re-work. 

BlücherHipper-class cruiser sunk by coastal Norwegian defences during the invasion of Norway by the Nazis. Maybe a Hipper with a faster rate of fire? :fish_cute_2:

Johnston: Fletcher-class DD, of the Taffy-3 squadron during the Battle off Samar at Leyte Gulf, famously took on an entire Japanese battleship + heavy cruiser squadron by itself, at least initially with limited help. 

Edited by Trollphoon
error
  • Cool 3

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Johnston yes please, I'll pay for that ship in a heartbeat.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
22 minutes ago, X15 said:

Johnston yes please, I'll pay for that ship in a heartbeat.

I put in a vote for this myself . It is the reason I ground to the Fletcher a.s.a.p. from the begging of OBT and still have it in my port .

:Smile_honoring:

Members
449 posts
12,230 battles
49 minutes ago, Trollphoon said:

Zuikaku: The longest-surviving Japanese CV that participated in the Battle of Midway. Sunk at Leyte Gulf as a decoy (rather sad). Would be cool to see how this ship can be fit in after the carrier re-work. 

She fought at the Coral Sea Battle, but because of plane losses she was not available for Midway.

Historians talk about the US Navy pulling out every stop to get the Yorktown there (But not the Saratoga that was idling on the west coast waiting for new secondaries), while the IJN let Zuikaku sit at home as a possible deciding factor to the battle.

Even if they just used her as a 5th deck and flew CAPs off of her she might have made the difference.

Members
3,646 posts
13,502 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

just.........anything please

anything non-BB

^^Ditto^^

How about USS Wichita?

Edited by ReddNekk

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Assuming that FXP ships should be higher tier (at least tier 7 like Nelson) would kind of eliminate some potentially interesting ships that aren't currently in the game like the Spaehkreuzer or Sendai.  Here are some that might be worthy candidates, though:

Alaska - giant American cruiser with 12" guns.  Interesting and unique ship with no obvious place in the tech tree.  Could make it a good candidate for an FXP ship.

Yukikaze - The only Japanese fleet destroyer to serve for the entire war without being sunk.  Participated in a ton of battles.  Of course, there already is a pseudo-Kagero premium in the Harekaze but it didn't actually exist.

Tone - Japanese "aviation cruiser" with a unique design.  All-forward turrets with a large float plane handling center on the aft.  We know WG modeled this ship a long time ago but decided not to add it to the game because they wanted it to use some kind of unique carrier-like mechanics but couldn't decide how to implement it.  It they can figure it out, it would make an interesting FXP ship.

German 1945 Destroyer proposal - This was a design for a DD with 4 of the gun turrets used by Z-46 and Z-52 with a designed speed of 42 knots.  Basically a German Khabarovsk.

Boise - Highly decorated American CL with an extensive service record.  Slightly different configuration from Helena, which will soon be the new tier 7 USN CL.

Members
87 posts
402 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

She fought at the Coral Sea Battle, but because of plane losses she was not available for Midway.

Historians talk about the US Navy pulling out every stop to get the Yorktown there (But not the Saratoga that was idling on the west coast waiting for new secondaries), while the IJN let Zuikaku sit at home as a possible deciding factor to the battle.

Even if they just used her as a 5th deck and flew CAPs off of her she might have made the difference.

Good eye. I meant Pearl Harbour! 

Members
87 posts
402 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Sub_Octavian has sneakily alluded to a non-BB free xp ship

source please? 

Alpha Tester
1,942 posts
2 hours ago, Trollphoon said:

Zuikaku: The longest-surviving Japanese CV that participated in the Battle of Midway. Sunk at Leyte Gulf as a decoy (rather sad). Would be cool to see how this ship can be fit in after the carrier re-work. 

I'd rather see Shinano. She was modelled long ago but WG has kept her in limbo ever since beta.

BlücherHipper-class cruiser sunk by coastal Norwegian defences during the invasion of Norway by the Nazis. Maybe a Hipper with a faster rate of fire? :fish_cute_2:

Again, I'd rather see SMS Blucher. The Kriegsmarine one is just a Hipper.

[USCC2]
Members
3,434 posts

A Tier 9 for other type ships would be nice to see and I have mentioned this in many of the FXP threads already.

But let's be honest, will WG make them as 'appealing' as Missouri - and miss the chance to have many waiting in excitement and anticipation only to be disappointed - probably not lol.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

Exeter: Famously participated in the Battle of the River Plate with Ajax and Achilles, seriously wounding the Graf Spee and sustaining serious damage herself. 

Definitely a great ship which ought to be in the game.

Zuikaku: The longest-surviving Japanese CV that participated in the Battle of Midway Pearl Harbour. Sunk at Leyte Gulf as a decoy (rather sad). Would be cool to see how this ship can be fit in after the carrier re-work. 

No, because this would be just ANOTHER CV for WoW to totally screw up, and with their track record ...

BlücherHipper-class cruiser sunk by coastal Norwegian defences during the invasion of Norway by the Nazis. Maybe a Hipper with a faster rate of fire?

No, we have enough Hippers now; SMS Blucher now, from WW1, definitely.

Johnston: Fletcher-class DD, of the Taffy-3 squadron during the Battle off Samar at Leyte Gulf, famously took on an entire Japanese battleship + heavy cruiser squadron by itself, at least initially with limited help. 

Shut up and take my money ... er ... free XP.

58 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Alaska - giant American cruiser with 12" guns.  Interesting and unique ship with no obvious place in the tech tree.  Could make it a good candidate for an FXP ship.

And a huge fight over which tier she belongs in ... again.

59 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Yukikaze - The only Japanese fleet destroyer to serve for the entire war without being sunk.  Participated in a ton of battles.  Of course, there already is a pseudo-Kagero premium in the Harekaze but it didn't actually exist.

Kagero class, right? Sure; good ship.

1 hour ago, Vaidency said:

Tone - Japanese "aviation cruiser" with a unique design.  All-forward turrets with a large float plane handling center on the aft.  We know WG modeled this ship a long time ago but decided not to add it to the game because they wanted it to use some kind of unique carrier-like mechanics but couldn't decide how to implement it.  It they can figure it out, it would make an interesting FXP ship.

WoW can't balance REAL CV's; you expect them to be able to get this 50/50 bar right? No way.

German 1945 Destroyer proposal - This was a design for a DD with 4 of the gun turrets used by Z-46 and Z-52 with a designed speed of 42 knots.  Basically a German Khabarovsk.

I'm way ok with this, but WoW will never let anything replace Khab as DD King.

Boise - Highly decorated American CL with an extensive service record.  Slightly different configuration from Helena, which will soon be the new tier 7 USN CL.

Sure, good CL's are hard to find, especially in the USN line.

• Cool 1

[YAN]
Members
1,637 posts
7,464 battles

Just use Salem or Stalingrad, both would be prime candidates.

Seeing as WG intends to make Stalingrad available outside of CW, and Salem is just a mystery right now.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,865 battles
4 hours ago, Trollphoon said:

I think the game needs some non-BB free XP ships. So far each of them have been BBs (Missouri, Nelson, Musashi). Here are my ideas:

Very good suggestion!

We know they can charge a lot of free XP for BB but how would they scale this? I could see the charge for a T9 DD being the same as for a T9 BB but would that work? Free XP cost is based on tier and not ship class/type.

[CUTE]
Members
5,157 posts
3,432 battles
6 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Sub_Octavian has sneakily alluded to a non-BB free xp ship

Oh so they do know other ships exist. Good to know!

Sign in to follow this