You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BattleTank26

What Country has the Best Ships?

27 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
210 battles

What country has the best ships? Any kind. I am using German ships right now, I have the tier 2 Dredson(is that how you spell it?) cruiser, and the tier 2 V-25 Destroyer. And do you have to purchase doubloons with money? I didn't check. If you can help me, that would be very helpful. Tanks!

[AR15]
Members
393 posts
2,779 battles

they all have the best ships if you are good with them.  it all depends on what playstyle you like and that works for you.  Some people like DDs but not all DDs play the same.  Some like BBs but not all BB play the same.  It always comes down to what works best for you, and no one else.  And no you can get dabloons ingame from various things, containers, and missions.

Edited by JToney3449

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
2 minutes ago, BattleTank26 said:

What country has the best ships? Any kind. I am using German ships right now, I have the tier 2 Dredson(is that how you spell it?) cruiser, and the tier 2 V-25 Destroyer. And do you have to purchase doubloons with money? I didn't check. If you can help me, that would be very helpful. Tanks!

There is no overall best nation, most nations have a different 'flavour' that distinguishes them for gameplay reasons, but all are essentially competitive. 

Doubloons are generally bought with money, but there are mechanisms to be awarded them for 'free' including as a chance drop from a supercrate, or from reaching rank 1 during a ranked season, etc. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Km line is my favorite so keep with it. Doubloons cost real cash. But can be won in game through daily Containers once you unlock them in your service level.

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I mostly play IJN, they've got a fair number of gems.

But overall I'd say KM is pretty strong overall. They're pretty Jack of All Trades kinda ships imo. And I've not even gone far up those lines yet. They're not the greatest in all areas but from what I've seen some players do with them they look pretty good. 

[CAST]
Members
1,396 posts
5,788 battles

Make yourself a list of the low tier ships which sound interesting to you, head over to YouTube, and search for World of Warships videos relating to each one (for example, "Dresden World of Warships").  You'll find numerous videos showing each and every ship in the game, whether they're just another player using one in a match or a detailed description of the ship's strengths and weaknesses.  No nation has the "best" ships (the joke is that Russian ships are best because WarGaming is based in Russia, but that truly is just a joke), so it just comes down to finding ships which do well in the style of play you think you'll enjoy most.

Good luck! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
2,376 posts
2,168 battles

All ships are good. Just depends on what you're looking for in a ship. You looking to cheese the game or something? 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,407 battles

There is no "best ships" Nation.

However, if you want a relatively newbie-friendly nation, the German (KM) Nation is pretty much it. Their BBs are extremely forgiving, with their only real weakness being USN CVs armed with AP bombs (and that's somewhat rare in and of itself). Their cruisers can punch pretty hard with both AP and HE, even if their HE firestarting rate is lackluster. They mostly have Hydroacoustic consumables on all their ships from T6 onwards (or was it T5?), making it even easier to mitigate damage from torpedoes (when used at the right time). Their DDs may be a bit anemic in some respects vs other nations, but they tend to make great anti-DD hunters thanks to their Hydro consumable.

The Japanese (IJN) Nation is considered to be one of the harder ones (if not the hardest in general); because all their ships are really unforgiving. A single mistake can often ruin an IJN cruiser's day or knock out a considerable amount of health off their battleships. Even their DDs are extremely specialized, and require a high level of patience to play, much less master.

The laziest Nation can probably go to the British. simply because their BBs just camp behind teammates and fire HE all day, and their CLs camp islands and using smoke to hide while they fire away. It takes effort to dig either class out of safety.

The USN, MN (French), and VMF have their quirks, but fall between the KM and IJN in terms of difficulty and familiarity.

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 4

Members
2,376 posts
2,168 battles

Funny the IJN cruiser line and USN DD line were what were recommended to me when I was new. IJN have those hard hitting guns and the USN DDs are good gunboats.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

The nation with the best ratio of good to bad boats is probably the USN in my opinion. As one of two "complete" nations with a line in every class, they have an incredibly solid lineup. And if you're new to the game, they can teach you how to sail a ship properly with a very sound balance of traits. I recommend both their BB and DD lines to any new players as they are both very strong and not insane to learn(like British cruisers). As a bonus: if you get the tier 6 cruiser Cleveland, you stand to get it as a tier 8 later, for free.

A lot of people are recommending the German (KM) ships. They are mostly good, and the Hindenburg is considered one of the best ships in the game currently. But I would like to stress that the BB line is terrible for learning to play well. They have an illusion of being forgiving, but it is an illusion. At high tiers they simply do not fit the meta and you will probably have a bad time. This is a matter of opinion however, you'll do better in ships who's play-style fits you. 

The KM DDs are painfully hard to play for most of the line, and from what I hear only the tier 10 is remotely competitive in anyone but a unicum's hands. I do not recommend them.

The KM cruiser line however is my favorite cruiser line in the game. Starting a tier 5 you get the long ranged AP buzz-saw characteristic of the line. Tier 6 is more of the same. And tier 7 teaches you to incorporate more HE and the beginning of armor. The tier 8 is a love/hate boat but when you manage your shells properly it is a joy to play with its low DPM but high damage guns. The tier 9 is the tier 5 without a citadel and with the tier 9 DPM. And the Hindenburg simply does everything.

If you want the nation with ships most often accused of being "OP" look no further than Britan. And then stop and play USN ships instead. British ships are very unfriendly.

Also for inclusions sake:

Russian ships all have a very similar and tested play-style, you shoot HE, a lot of HE. Boring in my opinion but you will learn to kite and dodge well without concealment. A bit on the fragile side to be OP however.

French ships are in between USN and Russian ships, nothing all that special but not bad by any means. You go pretty fast 50% of the time and have acceptable guns.

IJN ships are mostly ok but ask for you to already know the game rather than learning it in them. They do have a few gems hidden in their vast tree, but I still recommend USN over them.

Edited by X15
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
40 minutes ago, BattleTank26 said:

the tier 2 Dredson(is that how you spell it?)

No, it's Dresden. (Good ship, fun and competitive.)

And no one nations ships are superior to any other nations; though each nation represented by full lines has ships which stand out for being good and for being not so good. And ships of a similar type but of different nations have different capabilities, some are stealthy, some have great main battery guns, some have great secondaries, etc.

The trick is to do your due diligence, like @Harv72b says, watch the Community Contributor videos, read the Wiki, and play a while so you know your own style of play. THEN you can pick the ship, or line of ships, which best suit your gaming style. Trying to make a ship fit your style is frustrating (and can lead to your team mates posting rude comments during a match concerning your ship handling abilities); having one that just feels comfortable right away, like a favorite sweatshirt just out of the dryer, is really, really cool.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and see you in the Game!

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
28 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

There is no "best ships" Nation.

However, if you want a relatively newbie-friendly nation, the German (KM) Nation is pretty much it. Their BBs are extremely forgiving, with their only real weakness being USN CVs armed with AP bombs (and that's somewhat rare in and of itself). Their cruisers can punch pretty hard with both AP and HE, even if their HE firestarting rate is lackluster. They mostly have Hydroacoustic consumables on all their ships from T6 onwards (or was it T5?), making it even easier to mitigate damage from torpedoes (when used at the right time). Their DDs may be a bit anemic in some respects vs other nations, but they tend to make great anti-DD hunters thanks to their Hydro consumable.

The Japanese (IJN) Nation is considered to be one of the harder ones (if not the hardest in general); because all their ships are really unforgiving. A single mistake can often ruin an IJN cruiser's day or knock out a considerable amount of health off their battleships. Even their DDs are extremely specialized, and require a high level of patience to play, much less master.

The laziest Nation can probably go to the British. imply because their BBs just camp behind teammates and fire HE all day, and their CLs camp islands and using smoke to hide while they fire away. It takes effort to dig either class out of safety.

To a new player, this pretty sums up the "friendliest VS unforgiving" but the one caveat is about the Royal Navy, their cruisers are pretty tough to get a handle on with how their Main Batteries function. But the BBs are true. 

--

Anyways I highly suggest you start out WoWS with a single nation in mind. If you've started out with the KM (Germany), you're betting on a safe horse. I'd stick to them if that's what you're having fun with or you Thematically enjoy those ships. At the very least try to stick it out until T6 with all their lines. T8 for the ship type you like. 

Sure it seems like a long time, but T6 is usually around the time where you've clocked a decent number of games in a specific class where you can comfortably change nations and take all the personal experience to the similar line of that new nation. And T8 is around the time you start to see the fun tools for specific ships. 

The main reason to "stick to one nation" is so you can bounce your high level commanders around to where you much rather have them be. IE if you went deep down the Cruisers and now want to head down the BBs then you've got a decent skilled commander to continue down that line (respec may be required for optimization).

But if you're having fun; you're having fun. And that's all that truly matters. 

Edit::

You might want to look into a "Survivability / Concealment" build for your 1st commander. While it would suit a BB greater than a CA/CL or DD. Since its primarily Defensive in nature, having to "respec" them would mostly be for optimization of a ship types Damage and Utility output. 

Edited by Ivlerlin

[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles
35 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

...if you want a relatively newbie-friendly nation, the German (KM) Nation is pretty much it. Their BBs are extremely forgiving...

No kidding.  German BBs are probably the most idiot-proof line of ships in the game.  They make me look good when playing them, and I'm generally awful at BBs.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,090 posts
8,720 battles

For a new player

German Battleships are good, but US and Japanese Battleships are good as well, but tend to often have slightly weaker armor compared to German Battleship.

US and Japanese for starting out with Destroyers since the stealth tends to be good, US Destroyers have the better guns, but shorter range torpedoes compared to Japanese. Japanese Destroyer guns are ok sometimes, but their Torpedoes are good and have longer range, plus you can often launch torpedoes while being undetected.

Cruisers US and Japanese, other Cruiser lines have really thin armor often times so you need some Cruiser experience before using other nations.

Carriers Japanese Carriers have better stealth, but US Carriers get better fighters as well as the dive bombers that can carry AP Bombs which really can be plainful to Battleships and I think maybe some Cruisers, but the AP Bombs are pretty much harmless to Destroyers so many players just use the HE Bombs instead which can hurt anything.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,407 battles
3 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

No kidding.  German BBs are probably the most idiot-proof line of ships in the game.  They make me look good when playing them, and I'm generally awful at BBs.

German BBs are a cruiser's gateway drug into BB play. It's pretty funny at times seeing how more cruiser players can do well with KM BBs than some BB players. Scharnhorst especially (even if she's a Premium). :cap_haloween:

To slightly go further into my previous post for the topic in general:

While I will also agree with the sentiment that KM BBs instill bad habits regarding BB play (the other offender being the RN BBs), it still is extremely newbie friendly. Relatively flat shell arcs, convenient HE 1/4 Pen, decent AP, decent speed up and down the line, decent traverse, 25s reload on average, and pretty durable armor (except vs deck shots/strikes) make it hard to not recommend them as a starter BB line. In comparison, the RN BB line is extremely gimmicky and goes against usual BB play, the USN tends to frustrate new players with how slow the line is until T8 (and we've had threads of players giving up the USN BB line due to slow BBs), and the IJN, while being the most accurate of the BB lines, is really unforgiving in both shooting and sailing (not to mention, has 3 different playstyles all rolled into one line; battlecruiser, broadside peekaboo, and bow tanking). None of them are bad (except the RN BB line; but more due to promoting lazy camping and HE shelling all match long), but none of them are as friendly. Yes, I agree that the USN and IJN BB lines would be better to go up if one is focused on learning BB play. But if one is just wanting to get a general handle of the game and the various lines, the KM Nation is really the most convenient.

The KM cruisers too are pretty newbie friendly, and do actually require some, if not most of, of the same skills and lessons that other cruisers in-game require. They just have the convenience of HE 1/4 pen from T6 onwards and best-in-class Hydroacoustic allowing them to be a virtual early-torpedo-warning zone for 5-8 minutes at a time. The IJN cruiser line is generally a nice second or third cruiser line, if not an alternate first line. Mainly due to getting into heavy cruiser territory as early as T5, along with the larger caliber guns that have great mid-tier performance but gradually plateau to T9, as well as teaching life lessons of a cruiser player the hard way. The VMF and MN cruisers tend to play second line more, but with the VMF cruisers usually taking it easy at 3/4th speed and spam HE the whole match whereas the MN cruisers regularly keep at Full speed, kicking it into Ludicrous Speed for hit-and-runs or CV/DD chasing in short sprints. The USN and RN Cruisers are highly specialized and require a bit more patience in learning their optimal playstyles as opposed to the other cruiser lines, but neither are bad; just situational. So again, this puts the KM cruiser line nicely into newbie-friendly territory, and unlike the KM BB line, doesn't exactly teach bad cruiser skills.

I do agree that the KM DDs can be somewhat difficult, but again, the crutch advantage of Hydro + semi-decent gun ballistics make them a somewhat comfortable DD hunter/harasser in cap contests and don't really teach any bad skills. Of course, the USN DDs and VMF DDs are straight up better gunboats when it comes to short-range engagements, but neither have the same ability to scout out stealthed opponents nearly undetected the way the upper tier KM or Pan Asian DDs can (Hydro for the former, Radar for the latter). The IJN DDs just straight up require an entirely different playstyle; one that could be deemed too passive and sometimes frustrating. They have pretty good guns relative to other DDs, but poor traverse, and an inability to really outrun other DDs. They were also hit hard by the IJN torpedo nerfs, so even more patience is required. Sure, if one wants to really get a handle on DD play, the USN or VMF DD lines would be more ideal. But considering the conveniences available to KM DDs, just once again makes the German Nation the friendliest starting place.

As for CVs... We don't talk about them. Ever. (Kidding; you only have 2 choices anyway and neither are newbie-friendly, though WG's attempting to change that, with the USN CVs being quite comfortable to play with on auto-drops exclusively. Especially Bogue. Got called a hacker once even though I hardly play CVs; Bogue's auto-drops are great.) :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

Members
3,621 posts
13,402 battles

If I was going to create a new account and start over, my first choice would be the French Cruisers. IMHO, they have the fewest lemons on the lot, the tier 2 Jurien being that lemon. The rest are overall, good to very good ships. I've run the French Cruiser line to tier 9.

Members
1,903 posts
2,492 battles

Back when it was a binary choice with two tech tree nations in 2015, the IJN were better all round. Now everything except carriers are rather balanced out.

Find what you're good at or like in a ship, then ask this question to yourself again.

Edited by HowitzerBlitzer

[-AGW-]
Members
633 posts
9,292 battles

Your question should be which type of ship suits you best.

For me it's French and Russian cruisers with the Graf Spee thrown in as odd duck.

Members
1,238 posts
8,912 battles
48 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

IRL? The United States (at least from about 1937 onwards). In game? Total crapshoot based on arbitrary "national flavors" as selected by Wargaming. 

Lucky us.