You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Camo68

Is Missouri that much different/better than the Iowa?

20 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

A question for those who have both the Iowa and the Missouri

With the withdrawal of Missouri in the short term future I am thinking about whether or not to add it to my collection.

A couple of points to consider:

• I don't need credits
  • I don't need free XP (While I have plenty buying Mo will take a chunk out of my reserves)
  • I don't need a US trainer
  • I not a big BB player

With those points in mind if I do decide to get a high tier US BB is it a better proposition to just grind up to the Iowa?  Or does Mo offer something unique, apart from the radar mod?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,403 posts
10,165 battles
16 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

With the withdrawal of Missouri in the short term future I am thinking about whether or not to add it to my collection.

• I don't need credits
  • I don't need free XP (While I have plenty buying Mo will take a chunk out of my reserves)
  • I not a big BB player

With those points in mind if I do decide to get a high tier US BB is it a better proposition to just grind up to the Iowa?  Or does Mo offer something unique, apart from the radar mod?

Other than drastically better rewards in MO radar is the only real difference.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

You have absolutely no reason to get Missouri. I have it for credit generation that is it. Oh yeah I like the real ship too. You should think about Musashi.

Edited by GreyFox78659

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, Camo68 said:

• I don't need credits
  • I not a big BB player

Both ships fight the same, have the same core strengths, weaknesses, it's just MO has Radar.  With the points you listed, I'd say just grind and get the free, tech tree ships and save your FreeXPs for something else more useful to your play.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

If you have the Yamamoto campaign complete or near complete, yeah, save your xp... but if you like the ship, wanna spend the xp and are aware of what others are telling you abut the ship but still want it, get it. We have no idea how long she'll be gone... could be a long time, could be short. Do what you want, in the end. 

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,038 posts
4,367 battles

I'm going to have to disagree with the others. While it is true that the only difference is the presence of radar, it completely changes the play style of the ship. The Iowa Class is supposed to be close in brawlers, but I can't really accomplish that very easily in the Iowa. Every time I push aggressively I get burnt down by cruisers or have to dodge a soup of torpedoes. With the Missouri I can push into the caps with the destroyers, pop the radar and bully the smaller enemy ships. Maybe it's just me but I seem to play better in the MO.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
4 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I'm going to have to disagree with the others. While it is true that the only difference is the presence of radar, it completely changes the play style of the ship. The Iowa Class is supposed to be close in brawlers, but I can't really accomplish that very easily in the Iowa. Every time I push aggressively I get burnt down by cruisers or have to dodge a soup of torpedoes. With the Missouri I can push into the caps with the destroyers, pop the radar and bully the smaller enemy ships. Maybe it's just me but I seem to play better in the MO.

The OP doesn't need a USN trainer, doesn't play BBs as much, doesn't need the credits.  Is it worth 750k FreeXPs for Radar consumable for a ship type that you're not much into?  Nevermind that Iowa at its heart fights identically to Missouri, except for 1 consumable?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Based on your counterpoints for not purchasing it I'd say your FExp would probably suit yourself elsewhere. 

But your thoughts on Mo being gone for the "short term" might be incorrect. So from a collection standpoint it might be worth it. At present there's no "tells" from WG what the next FExp ship will be after Musashi. It could be Mo, could be a T9 for a different nation, could be Wisconsin or New Jersey (Iowa with Radar; less credit capabilities than Mo). For some that option of extra credit earnings for a "Port Queen" is reason enough to acquire her for the hefty sum of 750k FExp. 

Was reason enough for me; although I do play BBs on the side moreso than DDs. I usually just grab FWB or if all my other side-grinds are "in battle" because I forced a poor engagement. 

One final thing to consider though, is that She is a T9 Premium. And while that doesn't sound like much consider this thought: While your need for a USN cmdr Trainer is currently needed. Once you have a lv19 USN CMDR, what better ship to earn ECxp on than Missouri at T9? All of a sudden that "USN Trainer" is capable of assisting with training ALL your Commanders through ECxp earnings. 

Anyways,  food for thought. From a gameplay standpoint I'm unable to advise on the similarities and differences between Iowa and Missouri. Last time I had Iowa was CBT but I could be mistaking the NC for her. But I have Missouri, and I having that Radar Consumable on hand is wonderful, that extra bit of utility occasionally makes me forget Mo's a Battleship. 

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
10 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Let me point something out, early USN *were* brawlers, but that's filled by KMS now. NorCal to Iowa-Montana-Missouri are standoff battleships, not brawlers. Fix that. Iowa is too sluggish and easy to citadel to brawl. Either go AA build or stealth build w/Accuracy module and play from standoff range, i.e close enough to have presence, not enough to be brawling, not too far to be sniping. 
However, you are right. Missouri has the *option* of playing more aggressively due to having that radar. She can push right up to capture points that Iowa can't, and help radar support it. Where in some situations an Iowa is lost in smoke and has to stay further back, MO can move in, radar, and clear the area with assistance. That's why. MO can fit that bill of closely supporting, but Iowa is more of an Archer. Pick your target, aim well, and let it slip. Fade out in stealth. Reposition if needed. Rinse & Repeat. 

Members
227 posts
803 battles

The MO also has higher internal bow armor. Before the citadel was lowered, this was a huge deal. It is less so now. But with radar, it is a BB that acts much more like a cruiser because DDs are scared of it.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
3 hours ago, dukerustfield said:

The MO also has higher internal bow armor. Before the citadel was lowered, this was a huge deal. It is less so now. But with radar, it is a BB that acts much more like a cruiser because DDs are scared of it.

MO also suffers basically no penalty for that privilege either. Any AA differences are null, as T9/T10 CVs will strike regardless and isn't different enough. Both turn the same. Both have exactly the same guns. MO suffers bowcitadels less from range due to extra bulkhead. Same concealment. MO has radar instead of an aircraft catapult. But that really isn't a fair trade. Radar has more useful incindence per match than a fighter plane or even using spotter plane for smoke firing hax and  seeing over islands. Spotter is a nice touch, but rarely gets the same use. Radar is far more useful, so in my opinion Iowa should also be able to drop her hanger for radar instead. 

Yes yes, "muh special gimmick"
But Missouri purely having that insane credit making capability is gimmick enough based on Prinz Eugen. I'm not suggesting removing it from MO, just that it also be added to Iowa. 
You'd still have that marginally better armor and credit printing and the MO name + special turret flag.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles

if you played BBs more, I'd say get it.  A well played Mo can do things the Iowa just cant, due to radar.  I lost a game earlier tonight because of a well-played red Mo.  He positioned himself well, and I couldn't take my Kidd into A cap and play as aggressively as I'd like to.  An Iowa in the same spot, would not have deterred me.

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
21 hours ago, Camo68 said:

I not a big BB player

Depends on how much you don't play BBs. If your games are less than 20-25% in BBs at high tiers, then probably not worth it unless you want her as a collector.

[TXP]
Members
657 posts
10,277 battles

You need about 120K-130K ship damage per game to not spend additional credits to play Iowa. Think about that. MO makes credits even with 30K damage inflicted on red team per game.

Last Iowa battle I had 87K damage to red team, 108K repair costs, and broke almost dead even though I had 10 percent repair reduction flag and 20% additional credits per battle flag, else would have been 30K credits deficit for one match at close to 90K damage inflicted.

Edited by Ericson38

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

Thanks all for your comments, I have decided not to get the Mo as I just won't play her enough and another ship rusting in port won't do her any justice. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
4 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Thanks all for your comments, I have decided not to get the Mo as I just won't play her enough and another ship rusting in port won't do her any justice. 

Just remember, you've still got time to change you mind provided you've still got bank to buy her. 7.2 while far away is still pretty near. 

[EGO]
Members
88 posts
12,033 battles

My modest numbers on both IOWA and MO are quite different.  My kills per game in IOWA are a meager .6 while my MO is a .9--that's actually a big difference.  Damage per game is 60k vs 65k.  Hits with mains on both is 27%. Win rate is 50 vs 55%. Survival is about 45% for both.  For me, this says the Missouri's guns are more effective.  Obviously my preference for DDs shows in my lack of BB numbers but for me the Missouri not only generates more credits, it plays better, too.

[STW-M]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,488 battles

One thing commonly left out of these conversations is that the torpedo belt armor is 38mm on Missouri vs the 25mm on Iowa... this makes Missouri significantly more resilient to incoming battleship AP since 16" shells will not overmatch 38mm of armor but will the 25mm fairly easily.  She takes less of those AP normal/overpen hits while angled towards incoming fire.  That should not be forgotten! It also helps slightly with HE spam, but that's far less noticeable since that is normally aimed at the superstructure.