You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Daechi

Building Captains from Scratch

10 comments in this topic

[-13-]
Members
33 posts
7,131 battles

Not sure if this has been asked before and I apologize if it has. What ship or ships would you use to build a brand new Captain. Is it a mix of lower tier and premiums? Premiums all the way? I know the simplest way is to use gold respect but, say if you ran out of gold. ( I used up what I had to get the Missouri..lol) Thoughts and ideas?

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

Best way is to collect elite captain XP on high tier ship with 100% perm camo.  If you have Missouri, work that captain till 19 points, and after that you can farm XP for other captains.  Missouri makes a lot of XP and doubles it with her camo.  You can add 50% signals to speed it up.  For best results use Musashi with HSF camo, it gives additional 50% bonus to commander training.

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Low tier premiums. If you're trying to take a green captain into tier 7+ (well even then 4+ depending on how many clubbers there are) you will be severely outmatched and it will be painful. Even at tier 5 you will be facing captains with quite a few skill points. Mostly it is based on how you play and how easy / difficult you want your life (and that of your team) to be.

Personally if I am working on a new captain, I tend to keep them in the lower tiers for a while until they get enough points to at least get CE then I move them up to 5-7 premiums

• Cool 2

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

Best way is to collect elite captain XP on high tier ship with 100% perm camo.  If you have Missouri, work that captain till 19 points, and after that you can farm XP for other captains.  Missouri makes a lot of XP and doubles it with her camo.  You can add 50% signals to speed it up.  For best results use Musashi with HSF camo, it gives additional 50% bonus to commander training.

That is assuming they have a 19 point captain and one of the free xp ships. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have trained 5- 19 pt captains on my Scharnhorst. I now am working on 4 different lines with all 19 point captains. The Elite captain exp from all five ships grows at an alarming rate and is quickly getting close to 4 more 19 pointers. so the diversity of build captains grows to more ships to collect elite captain exp.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
8 minutes ago, Batwingsix said:

That is assuming they have a 19 point captain and one of the free xp ships. 

OP implied that he has a Missouri.  If you have Missouri, it’s only a matter of time to get 19 point captain on it, it’s one of the best ships for any kind of XP grind.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

For "green" CMDRs, I use to keep them on a T3-4 ship until Lv3 (which I believe is the level of "purchasable" with a new ship). After which I would begin retraining on the desired ship. This point I'd start bouncing him across premiums below level 7. Once a CMDR hits lv10, then I'd start to use him on T7+ premiums. 

The above is what I did early on when I had very few premiums.

If you're comfortable with playing low skilled CMDRs with mid tier Premiums then skip the first phase I mentioned above and just sit them in there. But if you only own T7+ premiums, you might want to keep that low level CMDR on  T3-4 ship until they hit lv10. 

The idea of ECxp'ing them IF you already have a Lv19 cmdr works well also. But personally, I'd stick to the methods I mention until a cmdr hits lv10 before sinking ECxp into one. If I've built them incorrectly I'd at least still have whatever stockpiled ECxp I have to retrain since it wasn't sunked into boosting their levels. 

Edited by Ivlerlin

[WOLF2]
Members
864 posts
7,014 battles

Throughout my WoWS experience, I've done the "captain hop".    Once I got the XP for the next tiered ship, I'd buy it, and move the captain into the new ship.     It's not a bad process when the captains were around 10-12 points.

I got my first 19pt captain in November.  Now have three 19pt skippers, with another at 18pts.      Now, captain hopping these guys is getting a little tougher.   I can use dubloons to retrain, or use commander XP + 200k silver.

And, the previous tier ship I just vacated now needs a captain. 

So, what I've been doing is recruiting a new captain, and once I get that fourth 19 pointer, I'll start applying the elite commander XP to those new commanders.      Pretty easy to get those guys to 10 points (so at least they're playable).   Ultimate goal is to stop captain hopping, and have a dedicated skipper in each bote, using the elite XP to get them up quickly, and then build them up to 19.

I've got two US 19pt skippers, and play them in their designated ships (New Orleans and Montana) to get first win bonus, and then move them to my Alabama and Missouri premiums.    I also have the Arizona that I'll move into, although it doesn't generate as much (but hey, some elite xp is better than none).     My third 19pt captain is Jack Dunkirk, who is manning the King George.   He does double-duty on the Duke of York.   The 18 pointer is on the Edinburgh.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Play an operation to 4 stars and get a free ten point captain.

Otherwise just bring the captain up the line with you. From personal experience using a very limited amount of boosters, you normally get to 10 points mid tier 7 and to 15 or more by tier 10.

As for ships, tier 6 is incredibly well balanced with the majority of ships relying on straight stats rather than gimmicks that require specialization. BBs are the best for low level captains as they don't need 4 point skills to compete. (this will change at higher tiers but that's why we train yes?)

Obviously premium ships are better as the captain won't require retraining, but a ships real training potential comes from the use of the "FTW" camo and the dragon flags. with a full camo/signal load-out and a standard first win I've racked up close to 50k captain xp on a single battle.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,120 posts
18,636 battles

Depends. If you have really to start from the scratch: low tiers. The impact of captain skills is lower then in higher tiers. You only need 59k xp from 1-10 points and grind your way through the lower tiers. The perfect way: have enough higher tier premiums with 19 point captains. Reason? All the captain XP is transferred to elite XP and you can easy start with a 10 point captain on any new ship and retrain them with that XP if you put them into another non premium ship. I usually have more then 1mio elite XP on my account.