You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ombromondo

Novices and Experts

34 comments in this topic

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles

Question!
I had read that with the latest updates, the participation of new players along with those with more experience would be encouraged.
I wanted to understand: that is the number of new players compared to those with more experience? Is there a balance? Or I know that I am 10 novels and 2 with experience.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
15 minutes ago, Ombromondo said:

Or I know that I am 10 novels and 2 with experience.

My brain refused to process

• Funny 2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

At least I am not alone in wondering about that part .

:Smile_honoring:

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

error 404. interpretation not found

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles

or do 10 novellists and 2 with experience participate?

googletranslate sometimes dont go

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The War Drums are off in the distance the the great tribe of eliticans are in counsel to eradicate  the new threat of expansionism by the Noobalites. The government in WG are giving away free land to those who once ventured into the  area of the eliticans and were pushed out. The Gold discovered in the west has made life hard on the eliticans. War is inevitable. 

• Funny 1

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
1 minute ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

someone  has bad google-fu or is really messed up on some strong stuff.

I know, luckily it's you that you can write the concepts well

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles
27 minutes ago, Ombromondo said:

Or I know that I am 10 novels and 2 with experience.

I think he's asking if teams are being balanced according to level of player experience: for instance, 10 newbies and 2 veteran players.

In which case the answer is no, teams are made at random.

• Cool 2

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
5 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The War Drums are off in the distance the the great tribe of eliticans are in counsel to eradicate  the new threat of expansionism by the Noobalites. The government in WG are giving away free land to those who once ventured into the  area of the eliticans and were pushed out. The Gold discovered in the west has made life hard on the eliticans. War is inevitable. 

however I spoke of more experienced and not elitist or better. There is a subtle difference between things.

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

I think he's asking if teams are being balanced according to level of player experience: for instance, 10 newbies and 2 veteran players.

In which case the answer is no, teams are made at random.

OK thanks

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
6 minutes ago, Ombromondo said:

I know, luckily it's you that you can write the concepts well

you are better off writing it in your native language,  Maybe someone here speaks it. or we can find a better translation.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,320 posts
11,434 battles

The stock answer is random..

Reality is often stacked good players on one side...

Just look at end battle team score, ranked player levels.

• Cool 1

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
5 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The stock answer is random..

Reality is often stacked good players on one side...

Just look at end battle team score, ranked player levels.

uhm ... no, it's not really like that. If you find more new players, even if you have more experience you can die at the beginning of the game how to get there by yourself until the end.
My question was to understand if there is a balance between the new and those who have been playing for a long time. Simple.
Edgecase replied, I believe, with the right information!

[NG-NL]
Members
4,956 posts
8,103 battles
1 hour ago, Ombromondo said:

uhm ... no, it's not really like that. If you find more new players, even if you have more experience you can die at the beginning of the game how to get there by yourself until the end.
My question was to understand if there is a balance between the new and those who have been playing for a long time. Simple.

If you mean whether teams are balanced by player skill, no, that doesn't happen. For one, queue times will go up when it's inconvenient, and for another, it is not easy objectively to measure player skill. I've had long losing streaks despite playing well, or get carried and don't do much damage.

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
9 hours ago, Reymu said:

If you mean whether teams are balanced by player skill, no, that doesn't happen. For one, queue times will go up when it's inconvenient, and for another, it is not easy objectively to measure player skill. I've had long losing streaks despite playing well, or get carried and don't do much damage.

eh, this is not a problem to be underrate. So the teams are unbalanced ... it's not a good thing!

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,320 posts
11,434 battles
21 hours ago, Ombromondo said:

I believe the only time WG separates new players from experienced is players with under 100 battles will only play people with under 100 battles. 

For an example, if I play a tier 1, I should not see a player playing his first battle. 

The only other match making hard cap is tiers 1 to 4 will only see +1/-1 tiers. Only exception is if a tier 4 divisions with a tier 5, then it could see tier 7 because of tier 5 having +/- 2 tier spread.

Other than first 100 battles, I believe match making doesn' t make special exceptions based on skill, stats or games played.

Experience has shown that some games can have teams with higher ranked players than the other. This doesn't guarantee a win for them though. Players generally have equal chance of winning or losing due to team based game.

[LRM3]
Members
281 posts
15,847 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I believe the only time WG separates new players from experienced is players with under 100 battles will only play people with under 100 battles. 

For an example, if I play a tier 1, I should not see a player playing his first battle. 

The only other match making hard cap is tiers 1 to 4 will only see +1/-1 tiers. Only exception is if a tier 4 divisions with a tier 5, then it could see tier 7 because of tier 5 having +/- 2 tier spread.

Other than first 100 battles, I believe match making doesn' t make special exceptions based on skill, stats or games played.

Experience has shown that some games can have teams with higher ranked players than the other. This doesn't guarantee a win for them though. Players generally have equal chance of winning or losing due to team based game.

I think it's not like that or, at least, it was in the past. In the last update WG clearly said that he would make the less experienced players present in more games.
As said at the beginning, it is not a matter of having elite or not and only having a large number of inexperienced players in a game and, as often happens, on one side, makes the game a bit frustrating.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

The algorithm that ensures that each match has a like amount of divisions and division participants is used every time the queue is match-made (hence the "match maker" title).

I think there is at least one more algorithm at play, in match making - one based on match total, or more likely some kind of WTR calculation.

Does anyone really think a company that focuses so many personnel, man-hours and resources on a game like this would leave such an important game-play factor entirely to chance?

Does that seem logical?

No - I don't think it does either.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
On 2/3/2018 at 6:39 PM, CLUCH_CARGO said:

If you can't beat 'em, troll' em. The war cry of the incompetent. 

Members
2,397 posts
2,193 battles

I doubt they're pushing for a more social experience so I can only guess more Operation missions! Or something similar. Or something involving clans. 

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
2 posts
7,824 battles

Not aware of any specific mechanic, but I think the real answer is more related to bad players being the reason why their team loses and then complaining about it as if there is some secret mechanic as to why they are always on their own team.  The common denominator is the player.  Play with better players or in divisions or just practice and get good and the problem will disappear.  Although, it is harder for people with 10,000 plus games because I don't know what to say if they haven't learned by then.

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts

If, as many have stated, the Matchmaker is almost completely random, then the path ahead depends entirely on how you want to approach the game.

If you want to get better and have a long term engagement with the game then use the lower tiers (tiers I to IV) to learn tactics and game mechanics.  There are many Youtubers who are producing excellent content to help with this but, for my money, the best one for new and intermediate players is UrPeaceKeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=whiskey's+gaming+lounge

His channel contains videos on most of the ships in the game with detailed histories of the ships, analysis of the armor & guns and game play video to show you some tactics and strategies for each of the ships.  Use these to get better.  Once you find that you can handle yourself start moving up the tiers... SLOWLY.  Spend a lot of time in each tier until you are comfortable in it.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking "If I only had a higher tier ship I would be better".  You won't.  You will only get frustrated.

Once you start getting good in some ships read this...

I have yet to see a better guide on improving your play in WoWs.   Don't worry about memorizing it, just take it section by section and, if you feel you aren't progressing, come back and read it again and spend a little more time with UrPeaceKeeper.

Doing it this way will earn you enough credits and XP that moving up will be easier to afford and it will have the benefit of giving you knowledge that will help you with the next tier.

On the other hand if you just want to have fun shooting ships and sailing around blowing things up then limit yourself to tier IV and under.  Mistakes at this level are not as serious, most of the players there are still figuring things out and it will be, in the long run, a much more enjoyable experience for you.

Lastly don't be afraid to come here and ask questions.  Most of the people here are not a big jerks as some of the replies in this thread would lead you to think.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,072 posts
9,188 battles

MM matches ships not players.