You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AOT_Jaeger2

A Question on the Bogatyr...

16 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles

Hi Everyone!

Its me, _Caesar_, I found a way to use my old WoT account for WoWS to get the sweet, sweet goodies from the invite codes, and here I am. Thanks, by the way, to all of the players who gave me advice and codes in my first thread. I've taken the Diana out for a spin, and pulled down 52,000 damage, a High Caliber, and an Arsonist against a Kawachi in my first game, so I like it.

I decided on what lines to grind from your advice. I chose to go down the Russian cruiser line, as well as the American battleships (thinking about the Soviet destroyers, but I'm holding off on destroyers for now) and I've arrived at the Tier IIIs for both lines; the Saint Louis and Bogatyr. Both seem like very similar ships, with lots of big, big guns, but pretty slow and flimsy. I played my first game in the Bogatyr and liked it, it kind of plays like a bigger and badder Diana. In fact, the 152mm guns might be exactly the same as those on the Diana, I'm not sure. Either way, I have noticed that the so-called gun "upgrade," to the 130mm guns is just....bad? The 130mm guns only seem to have downsides compared to the 152mm guns. Is it worth even researching these guns, or should I just move on down the road to the Svetlana?

Thanks,

Jaeger :cap_rambo:

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

They have better ballistics and less dispersion so less aiming is needed. Maybe better shell penetration too? @Lert you know lots about Bogatyr right?

Edited by warpath_33

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

130's are much better even though they are smaller guns. They turn faster, fire faster and can get the benefits of certain captain skills like basic firing training for faster rate of fire and advanced firing training to boost the range. So you dance around at range using them like machine guns and burn everything to death.

Members
4,461 posts
6,195 battles
10 minutes ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

Hi Everyone!

Its me, _Caesar_, I found a way to use my old WoT account for WoWS to get the sweet, sweet goodies from the invite codes, and here I am. Thanks, by the way, to all of the players who gave me advice and codes in my first thread. I've taken the Diana out for a spin, and pulled down 52,000 damage, a High Caliber, and an Arsonist against a Kawachi in my first game, so I like it.

I decided on what lines to grind from your advice. I chose to go down the Russian cruiser line, as well as the American battleships (thinking about the Soviet destroyers, but I'm holding off on destroyers for now) and I've arrived at the Tier IIIs for both lines; the Saint Louis and Bogatyr. Both seem like very similar ships, with lots of big, big guns, but pretty slow and flimsy. I played my first game in the Bogatyr and liked it, it kind of plays like a bigger and badder Diana. In fact, the 152mm guns might be exactly the same as those on the Diana, I'm not sure. Either way, I have noticed that the so-called gun "upgrade," to the 130mm guns is just....bad? The 130mm guns only seem to have downsides compared to the 152mm guns. Is it worth even researching these guns, or should I just move on down the road to the Svetlana?

Thanks,

Jaeger :cap_rambo:

130mm are way to go on Bogatyr.  Flatter trajectory. Easier to hit with.  Pen very good. BUT some like 152mm. I prefer 130mn. These 2 ships flimsy?  St Louis is the TANK of tier 3!  Boogie is not bad. They are much better than a lot of low tier cruisers. Get advanced firing upgrade on Boogie and you will out range bout anything you will fight. 

Members
4,461 posts
6,195 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

130's are much better even though they are smaller guns. They turn faster, fire faster and can get the benefits of certain captain skills like basic firing training for faster rate of fire and advanced firing training to boost the range. So you dance around at range using them like machine guns and burn everything to death.

Steady stream of shells.  It's kinda freaky. 

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles

The St Louis and Bog are the best low tier gunboats. Both are keepers IMHO. Make sure to keep your Diana even when you get higher tiered ships so you can use it to farm the first win bonus with your Russian captain. Lots of people don't care for her but I really enjoy playing the Diana. 

[MFDVR]
[MFDVR]
Members
48 posts
7,329 battles

The 130 mm guns are a pure upgrade. They are affected by Basic and Advanced Fire Training, meaning faster and further shots. The Bogatyr is my go to ship when I am warming up and is a great deal of fun. Those 130's can citadel a south carolina at <7km and aren't under-powered at all compared to the 152mm

Members
4,461 posts
6,195 battles
30 minutes ago, kamelion66 said:

The 130 mm guns are a pure upgrade. They are affected by Basic and Advanced Fire Training, meaning faster and further shots. The Bogatyr is my go to ship when I am warming up and is a great deal of fun. Those 130's can citadel a south carolina at <7km and aren't under-powered at all compared to the 152mm

Shhhhhhhhhhh!  Don't let the word out as to what a little monster the Boogie is when you get her upgraded.  I don't want to fight more of them with mine! :Smile_honoring:

Totally fun ship!

Edited by dmckay

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
49 minutes ago, kamelion66 said:

Exactly this. The decrease in calibre is made up for by a rough equivalence in shell power and effectiveness (calibre isn't always everything in naval armament) and the skills mentioned above. 

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles

Ahhh, I see. So the true strengths of the guns aren't outright obvious from the stats. Makes sense. I didn't even think about Captain skills, but I realize now that the lower caliber will actually be better in most cases. Is the AP really that good? I like the HE spam power on the 152mms.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

The 130s with a high-skill captain (with BFT/AFT/DE) are just sick.  They were even sicker before the tier 3 BBs all got range buffs...raining shells on a Kawachi with its 9ish range while you have 13+....good times, good times.

That having been said, if you are moving the captain up the line beyond the Svietlana, BFT and AFT are NOT going to be your go-to first skills at skill levels 3 and 4 - you might get AFT eventually for its AA power, but you should take CE first.  So if you are NOT planning on retaining your Bogatyr with another, special captain as the dirty seal-clubbing machine it can be, play through it with whatever guns you prefer.

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
1 minute ago, Lillehuntrix said:

The 130s with a high-skill captain (with BFT/AFT/DE) are just sick.  They were even sicker before the tier 3 BBs all got range buffs...raining shells on a Kawachi with its 9ish range while you have 13+....good times, good times.

That having been said, if you are moving the captain up the line beyond the Svietlana, BFT and AFT are NOT going to be your go-to first skills at skill levels 3 and 4 - you might get AFT eventually for its AA power, but you should take CE first.  So if you are NOT planning on retaining your Bogatyr with another, special captain as the dirty seal-clubbing machine it can be, play through it with whatever guns you prefer.

Well...I do enjoy being a dirty, filthy sealclubber, so I'll probably keep the Bogatyr around as a good fun ship when I need one. How are the other Russian cruisers after the Bogatyr? I've noticed a few things from looking at them, but a we've seen I can be deceived by stats.

The Svetlana seems to have a very thick armor belt for a Tier IV cruiser, or is that just me? Seems like if you kept it angled and avoided showing your flat side it would be very hard to citadel.

Kirov seems to have ridiculously powerful guns. Torpedoes are a plus. 

Really looking forward to the Budyonny, I've heard it compared with the Cleveland as being one of the best Tier VI cruisers.

Can anyone confirm/deny these thoughts? What is the major playstyle like after the Bogy?

Thanks for the help btw, still learning all the ins and outs.

[WOLF4]
Members
122 posts
5,812 battles

Smaller calibre... but more of them.  With captain skills you can get great range, reload, fire chance, and rotation.  Stick with HE.

[MFDVR]
[MFDVR]
Members
48 posts
7,329 battles
13 hours ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

Well...I do enjoy being a dirty, filthy sealclubber, so I'll probably keep the Bogatyr around as a good fun ship when I need one. How are the other Russian cruisers after the Bogatyr? I've noticed a few things from looking at them, but a we've seen I can be deceived by stats.

The Svetlana seems to have a very thick armor belt for a Tier IV cruiser, or is that just me? Seems like if you kept it angled and avoided showing your flat side it would be very hard to citadel.

Really looking forward to the Budyonny, I've heard it compared with the Cleveland as being one of the best Tier VI cruisers.

Can anyone confirm/deny these thoughts? What is the major playstyle like after the Bogy?

You'll find that a major trait of the russian cruisers is long range and high speed. Most of them have weak armour, poor manoeuvrability and vulnerability to citadel hits and so i've found the best way to use them is at range employing their high speed and range to rain HE down on anything and everything. 

As for the svetlana , I have had great success in using it as an ambush cruiser, getting into position and then steaming towards slow battleships and then doing a drive-by with the torpedoes. It's probably not a wise thing to do but its a lot of fun!

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
17 hours ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

Svetlana and Kirov are unremarkable, they are decent compared to their peers at their respective tiers. Kirov suffers from matchmaking like most tier 5 ships. Neither one are "keepers" IMHO. The Budyonny is a good ship, one I have kept even though I have Chappy and if you like cruiser play is a keeper. Her long range guns and spotter plane allows for shooting targets who are not within range. Like I said, she is a keeper and I enjoy playing her but I love cruisers and cruiser play. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

To other responses I'll add only that the tier 6 through 9 have relatively small caliber guns (and so benefit from the IFHE skill), and that they not only have long range but fast shells and flat trajectories, making them able to rain fire on battleships, certainly, at extreme range, and able to nail DDs in the 10-15km range with some regularity (depending on the skill of everyone involved, of course).  Meanwhile, the tier 8-10 also get long-range, short duration radar; a full-concealment Chapayev is one of the few cruisers in the game (maybe the only one - radar Edinburgh? Minotaur?) with a radar range exceeding its own detection, so you can radar as soon as you are detected and guarantee you will spot something that does not wish to be spotted  This gets harder at higher tiers, as the Donskoi and Moskva both suffer from bad (in the Moskva's case, comically bad) detection.

Speaking of which, the Moskva, with its 220s (also with good range and velocity, as well as AP performance), is a strange beast that I am nowhere near figuring out how to play well - tanky and soft in equal measure, depending on the circumstance, with strong deck armor but also a huge citadel, which is especially problematic because you can complete your tax return during the time it takes for a Moskva to turn out and every battleship in the game knows that.