You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BugsBunni

Monitor advice

13 comments in this topic

Members
144 posts

Hi All

I'm just looking for some feedback from the community.

I'm considering purchasing a 4K monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and 3840 x 2160 resolution.

You can see this monitor here: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/samsung-uhd-28-monitor-with-high-glossy-black-finish-lu28e590ds-za/

My card is a GeForce GTX 1070

Would this be a compatible monitor to run with this game?

Thank you folks!

Members
831 posts
1,260 battles

WoWs doesn't really like 4K cuz there's no GUI scaling. You can get it, but just play the game at 1080p

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
5 minutes ago, MeKanism said:

WoWs doesn't really like 4K cuz there's no GUI scaling. You can get it, but just play the game at 1080p

This, assuming you already have a monitor you could use the old one for software that doesn't scale well to 4k which is quite common unless you only run the newest software.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
9 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Did anyone else  first imagine something like this?

MuD24Ye.jpg

Nah.

h64090.jpg

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,968 battles

I think the 1864 version would be a little bit out of the time period covered by this game, while the 1900's version would emphasise turning the ship instead of the gun (I think it had a few degrees play each way for fine adjustment, but that was it).

Would I be happy to see WOWS: Ironclads (1861-1905)? Yes. The only problem I foresee is that the gun reloading times would have to be artificially scaled; some of the early breechloaders took FIVE MINUTES to reload, even with mechanical assistance. 

[-BMV-]
Members
180 posts
13,281 battles

Nothing beats Glorious Novgorod

Russian_monitor_Novgorod_(scale_model).j

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think the 1864 version would be a little bit out of the time period covered by this game, while the 1900's version would emphasise turning the ship instead of the gun (I think it had a few degrees play each way for fine adjustment, but that was it).

Would I be happy to see WOWS: Ironclads (1861-1905)? Yes. The only problem I foresee is that the gun reloading times would have to be artificially scaled; some of the early breechloaders took FIVE MINUTES to reload, even with mechanical assistance. 

It wasn't just the breech loaders that took a long time to reload but I would have great fun playing a US Civil War and up naval game.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,968 battles
23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It wasn't just the breech loaders that took a long time to reload but I would have great fun playing a US Civil War and up naval game.

Oh I know, but I also know how many people would be looking forward to the pre-dreadnoughts of the early 1880s (partcularly the Italian giants, the Yamatos of their day). Breech loading did not make them any faster!

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh I know, but I also know how many people would be looking forward to the pre-dreadnoughts of the early 1880s (partcularly the Italian giants, the Yamatos of their day). Breech loading did not make them any faster!

There was a gain in reloading speed for the breech loaders but it was to 3 - 5 minutes from 5 - 7 minutes, a definite difference but still slow.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
7 hours ago, BugsBunni said:

Hi All

I'm considering purchasing a 4K monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and 3840 x 2160 resolution.

You can see this monitor here: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/samsung-uhd-28-monitor-with-high-glossy-black-finish-lu28e590ds-za/

Thank you folks!

I use that exact same monitor. It's great. 

Although my usage of it for WoWS is through an hdmi connection to a surface pro 2. But you should be able to push the graphics pretty high for yourself depending on your specs. Although if your on Wi-Fi VS Wired I'd still recommend not pushing the specs to the fullest. You may run into minor latency issues. 

[WOLF5]
Members
606 posts
12,012 battles
8 hours ago, BugsBunni said:

Hi All

Thank you folks!

The monitor will work just fine with that card. I am running a 4k monitor on that card as well. However, the User Interface (UI) doesn't scale right now, so it will be incredibly tiny on a 28 inch screen. It will probably be unreadable...as far as chat goes. 

So, if you're purchasing this monitor just for this game; it's a bit soon. If you are buying it for other reasons, you can either run it at lower resolution for the game, or just have to squint really hard at the interface :)