You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rikan

Carrier rework proposal

26 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,025 battles

I think a few ideas could potentially be adapted from EVE Online game play specifically, from EVE's carriers and command ships, which have been very successful for carrier gameplay historically in that game.  

1 - Keep the RTS game-style.
2 - Remove "Manual" drop/strafe from all nations/planes (hear me out).
3 - In the load-out screen, add multiple styles of each plane type for additional customization (fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers--models could even be brought in from World of Planes). These type differences would each possess a unique ability and must be selected at the loadout screen before a match, only able to possess one style of each plane type.
4 - To replace the manual and strafe mechanics give each plane type a unique ability or two with a long CD. If you click the target the plane will dogfight, the dive bombers/torpedo bombers will drop; however, if you use your unique ability for that plane they will do perform a unique action for that plane or type of plane. 

Potential examples (only one of each plane style could be preselected for each match in the loadout screen): 

Dive Bombers:
- High Altitude Bombers: Have these bombers have a smaller field of vision and slightly lower health by default. Using the special ability allows bombers to "fly at high altitude" (make them invulnerable for X seconds). During high altitude, their range of vision would increase dramatically, while only able to loiter. This helps the destroyer scouting issue.
- Radar Bombers: Because removing manual drop eliminates the ability to drop on smoke, Radar Bombers would be able to identify where a ship in smoke is and focus it's drop pattern (like a Kaga drop pattern). This would not grant vision to the entire team.
- Etc.

Torpedo Bombers: 
- Formation Torpedo Bombers: Torpedo Bombers use a unique torpedo spread on a long cooldown in the fight.
- Long Drop Torpedo Bombers: Torpedo range is greatly extended for a short time. (This helps carrier's avoid AA but gives the enemy more time to maneuver). 
- Etc.

Fighters:
- High Speed Fighters: Using unique ability greatly increases fighter speed for ~20 seconds and requires a very long cooldown, ~2-3 minutes.
- Barrage Fighters: This unique ability is functionally the same as strafe, imposing a long cooldown on that ability. 
- Etc.

5 - Finally, you could give the CV "Command Ship Bonuses" to the friendly team within a specific range tactically (think of carrier bonuses during the Halloween event). 

Examples (just a few):
- Minus 4% dispersion for X seconds.
- Increased concealment for X seconds
- Increased spotting for X seconds
- Fire prevention added to friendly's for X Seconds (looking at you English)
- Increased AA defense for X Seconds
- Etc.

In Summary:

Keeping long time CV's happy:
- Keep the RTS gameplay.
- More plane options and more loadout options I.E. More customization. 

Lowering the skill threshold for new players:
- Remove all Manual drops and strafes.
- Add one or two "unique" abilities to planes.
- Better Team play.

Other:
In-game name: Rikan

• Cool 4

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
3 minutes ago, Rikan said:

models could even be brought in from World of Planes

Um... I'm pretty sure this game models aircraft better than World of Warplanes...

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles
7 minutes ago, Rikan said:

In Summary:

8 minutes ago, Rikan said:

5 - Finally, you could give the CV "Command Ship Bonuses" to the friendly team within a specific range tactically (think of carrier bonuses during the Halloween event). 

8 minutes ago, Rikan said:

Increased AA defense for X Seconds

I don't see how adding more AA is going to keep any long time CV player happy..

Members
8 posts
2,025 battles
1 minute ago, khorender_1 said:

I don't see how adding more AA is going to keep any long time CV player happy..

The idea is for a friendly CV to use it strategically on a long CD (thing Defensive fire) to protect a team. Again, just an example of an idea. None of them are perfect. 

Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

Not a bad idea, but it means a complete reprogramming of the aircraft maybe 18 to 24 months worth of code writeing, for a item that only effects a few people. I write code and that's a mountain worth.

Members
8 posts
2,025 battles
1 minute ago, Raven114 said:

Not a bad idea, but it means a complete reprogramming of the aircraft maybe 18 to 24 months worth of code writeing, for a item that only effects a few people. I write code and that's a mountain worth.

Yeah, that is true. Hopefully maybe it sparks a few ideas from community member's for the Devs to build off of.

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,801 battles
1 hour ago, Rikan said:

I think a few ideas could potentially be adapted from EVE Online game play specifically, from EVE's carriers and command ships, which have been very successful for carrier gameplay historically in that game.  

1 - Keep the RTS game-style.
2 - Remove "Manual" drop/strafe from all nations/planes (hear me out).
3 - In the load-out screen, add multiple styles of each plane type for additional customization (fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers--models could even be brought in from World of Planes). These type differences would each possess a unique ability and must be selected at the loadout screen before a match, only able to possess one style of each plane type.
4 - To replace the manual and strafe mechanics give each plane type a unique ability or two with a long CD. If you click the target the plane will dogfight, the dive bombers/torpedo bombers will drop; however, if you use your unique ability for that plane they will do perform a unique action for that plane or type of plane. 

Potential examples (only one of each plane style could be preselected for each match in the loadout screen): 

Dive Bombers:
- High Altitude Bombers: Have these bombers have a smaller field of vision and slightly lower health by default. Using the special ability allows bombers to "fly at high altitude" (make them invulnerable for X seconds). During high altitude, their range of vision would increase dramatically, while only able to loiter. This helps the destroyer scouting issue.
- Radar Bombers: Because removing manual drop eliminates the ability to drop on smoke, Radar Bombers would be able to identify where a ship in smoke is and focus it's drop pattern (like a Kaga drop pattern). This would not grant vision to the entire team.
- Etc.

Torpedo Bombers: 
- Formation Torpedo Bombers: Torpedo Bombers use a unique torpedo spread on a long cooldown in the fight.
- Long Drop Torpedo Bombers: Torpedo range is greatly extended for a short time. (This helps carrier's avoid AA but gives the enemy more time to maneuver). 
- Etc.

Fighters:
- High Speed Fighters: Using unique ability greatly increases fighter speed for ~20 seconds and requires a very long cooldown, ~2-3 minutes.
- Barrage Fighters: This unique ability is functionally the same as strafe, imposing a long cooldown on that ability. 
- Etc.

Examples (just a few):
- Minus 4% dispersion for X seconds.
- Increased concealment for X seconds
- Increased spotting for X seconds
- Fire prevention added to friendly's for X Seconds (looking at you English)
- Increased AA defense for X Seconds
- Etc.

In Summary:

- Keep the RTS gameplay.
- More plane options and more loadout options I.E. More customization. 

Lowering the skill threshold for new players:
- Remove all Manual drops and strafes.
- Add one or two "unique" abilities to planes.
- Better Team play.

Other:
In-game name: Rikan

Leave the CV's alone.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,046 posts

Just give them their own server, name it World of Carriers. Give them lots of bots to kill, along with any live players who want to sit through a sky cancer fest. I am pretty sure such a course of action will meet with nearly universal approval, and possibly give rise to a beatification movement for the WG staff.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
6 posts
5,158 battles

Great idea, but as Raven said, that a lot of coding. Have to find more incentive for wargaming to implement it.

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles

Removing manual drops even with added unique abilities makes CVs nothing but point and click...no skill involved.  That is not going to keep us long time CVs happy.  No thanks.

Members
8 posts
2,025 battles
3 minutes ago, InspGadgt said:

Removing manual drops even with added unique abilities makes CVs nothing but point and click...no skill involved.  That is not going to keep us long time CVs happy.  No thanks.

What would you propose? You're a Supertester with many more games than I do so you probably have a lot of insight I dont. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles
14 minutes ago, InspGadgt said:

At this point it’s coming. The only way to get the skill gap under control is to simplify the system. CV mains are going to hate but it’s pretty much the only way. Making CVs complicated brought us this mess. So doing the opposite is the only option. Anything else is stalling the inevitable. 

Edited by GreyFox78659
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles
10 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

At this point it’s coming. The only way to get the skill gap under control is to simplify the system. CV mains are going to hate but it’s pretty much the only way. Making CVs complicated brought us this mess. So doing the opposite is the only option. Anything else is stalling the inevitable. 

And if it does my opinion is that it will likely kill off a class that is already struggling.  Might as well make CVs bots or remove them entirely.  I don't accept that as inevitable yet.  The issues are far more complex that removing manual drops is too simple of an answer to fix the problems.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles
17 minutes ago, InspGadgt said:

And if it does my opinion is that it will likely kill off a class that is already struggling.  Might as well make CVs bots or remove them entirely.  I don't accept that as inevitable yet.  The issues are far more complex that removing manual drops is too simple of an answer to fix the problems.

It will kill off the unicum CV players but I doubt the class it might see a resurgence as it won’t be a huge mess after tier 5 people might actually progress past 6 instead of giving up.

Members
11 posts
1,589 battles

The problem is twofold as Zoup alluded to in his vid the other day. Even moderately skilled CVs can dominate like no other class, by far.  And that dominance prevents new or less skilled CVs from competing with them.

If you look at any of the top CVs, you see lots of players with win rates over 80% in them, with K/Ds often in 2 digits, and up to 100 or more.  This is far too much influence for a team game. No other ship sees people with K/Ds over 6 or so long term, and those are among the best players in that ship.  The skill curve needs to be narrowed, and the total influence needs to be reduced. Otherwise, it's just world of CVs.

So, a simpler approach would be to:

1. Change Strafe. This skill is ridiculous, non-realistic, and it more than anything is what keeps new people from playing CVs. It takes a long time to master, but those who do, dominate the game and shut down less skilled CVs in a way that no other ship can. I'd change it target ground (like real life strafe). It would do low damage, but be useful for finishing off damaged ships. 

2. Increase time to launch, with extra time added for replacing each plane that has been shot down. This makes shooting down planes worth something, as it really isn't now at higher tiers. But it also reduces total output of how much a carrier can do.

3. Increase arming distance for torpedoes. The point blank drops really are a bad thing for the game.

Of course long time CV players might complain, as they enjoy god mode in a team game. But they might learn to like a more competitive environment.  

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[HIT]
Members
67 posts
5,804 battles
15 minutes ago, InspGadgt said:

Except the statistics across tiers say it is that simple. T4-5 has the most balance between IJN and USN CVs. The gap increases at every tier up to T10 and that’s not including premiums.

If what you were saying were true then T4-5 wouldn’t have as many CV players as it does. Several months of play difference at those tiers have pointed to what should have been obvious from the beginning. That alt-attacks create far too many issues for the sake of keeping a few happy.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
4,964 posts
8,109 battles

Easier would be buff the auto-drop so it's just a notch or two below manual drop's effectiveness, then remove manual drop altogether and offer another loadout flavor. IJN can go TB crazy, with up to 4 squadrons (3 if running the bomber HP module) and only 1 DB. US can stack their fighters to 8 a group (9 if running AS skill) and run 8-plane DB if they like, no change to their TB except match it to tier (so Midway has T10 TB, Essex has T9, as the TB tier nerf was rather unwarranted).

Problem is, how to attack something in smoke without manual drop?

9 minutes ago, stronk_like_bear said:

The problem is twofold as Zoup alluded to in his vid the other day. Even moderately skilled CVs can dominate like no other class, by far.  And that dominance prevents new or less skilled CVs from competing with them.

If you look at any of the top CVs, you see lots of players with win rates over 80% in them, with K/Ds often in 2 digits, and up to 100 or more.  This is far too much influence for a team game. No other ship sees people with K/Ds over 6 or so long term, and those are among the best players in that ship.  The skill curve needs to be narrowed, and the total influence needs to be reduced. Otherwise, it's just world of CVs.

1. Change Strafe. This skill is ridiculous, non-realistic, and it more than anything is what keeps new people from playing CVs. It takes a long time to master, but those who do, dominate the game and shut down less skilled CVs in a way that no other ship can. I'd change it target ground (like real life strafe). It would do low damage, but be useful for finishing off damaged ships. 

2. Increase time to launch, with extra time added for replacing each plane that has been shot down. This makes shooting down planes worth something, as it really isn't now at higher tiers. But it also reduces total output of how much a carrier can do.

3. Increase arming distance for torpedoes. The point blank drops really are a bad thing for the game.

Of course long time CV players might complain, as they enjoy god mode in a team game. But they might learn to like a more competitive environment.  

And a capable Random team can shut down a CV by running AA spec and moving in groups. Then CV is just a frustrated 1/12. Pendulum swings too far to UP or OP, been on both sides in Taiho, and it's not exactly fun.

Top CV players got to their position because put in the time and practice. But likely some got there because run in T10 AA divisions, so there's 0 reason to get upset about that.

1) Strafe just needs to go. Especially since WG added the exit-strafe, it's make CV captaincy needlessly more irritating. The standard fighter lock by itself was more than enough.

2) No use given the fact CV strikes have to fly to and from the target, and flight prep time. This would especially make US CV line less effective since they get the ridiculously long flight prep times.

3) That attack takes a lot of practice to master. And generally works only on lone or weak-AA targets. Which means that it's the victim's fault for being away from friendly AA. Removing it simply isn't going to happen. If you're fighting a CV, being in AA umbrella is really the battle, not the bomber drop--so fight the correct match.

• Cool 1

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles
20 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

It will kill off the unicum CV players but I doubt the class it might see a resurgence as it won’t be a huge mess after tier 5 people might actually progress past 6 instead of giving up.

Has there been a resurgence at tier 4-5?  I haven't seen it.  There still isn't nearly the amount of CV players there used to be at that tier when I play my lower tier BBs.

14 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

Except the statistics across tiers say it is that simple. T4-5 has the most balance between IJN and USN CVs. The gap increases at every tier up to T10 and that’s not including premiums.

If what you were saying were true then T4-5 wouldn’t have as many CV players as it does. Several months of play difference at those tiers have pointed to what should have been obvious from the beginning. That alt-attacks create far too many issues for the sake of keeping a few happy.

Balanced maybe....but still not much CV population.  We still don't see more than 4 or so CVs queued up at that tier at the times I play.  Not like pre-nerfs when we would sometimes see double digits.

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles
22 minutes ago, Rikan said:

What would you propose? You're a Supertester with many more games than I do so you probably have a lot of insight I dont. 

I also consider myself a CV main but I haven't been playing them much lately due to a lack of population.  It just takes too long to get a game these days in a CV. 

This issue is so complex that I'm not sure it can be fixed.  But I'll take a stab at it and re-hash some of the things that I've suggested in the past.

First I'll start off by saying that RTS games is a skill set that is quite different.  Not only does it require one to react quickly to things (twitch skill) but also to manage many things at one time.  That's why some strategy games are turn based instead of real time.  Those that stay real time and involve serious competitive multiplayer game play set up a tiered league system based on skill level (like StarCraft II).  In WoWS we really can't do either of those right now.  We might be able to do a somewhat skill based MM if we can get the number of CV players back up but that is going to take awhile.  So lets start tackling the issues in reverse order...the current complaint about CVs is the skills gap.  Why is this now an issue when it wasn't previously?  Well first I'd have to say the lack of players in the class...the more players there are the less often you will end up in games with a huge skill gap.  The other is the complexity of current CV game play not just in manual drops and strafing...but also in avoiding AA bubbles to be able to do enough damage that it matters.  Now non-CV players are not going to like this but hear me out.  The cause of both of this is nerfs...CVs have been nerfed so much that the class has to be played with such precision not just against the other CV player but against the other ships in the game.  Before all these nerfs came into play no one complained about a skill gap and there was a lot more CV players.  Personally I'm an average CV player at best...certainly no unicum...but looking at the damage I do now after all the nerfs and what I did before and quite honestly....it isn't all that much different.  All the nerfs did was make it harder for me to do that damage.  So it did little to nothing to address the complaints about CVs being OP but greatly affected the skill gap.  Now why were those nerfs done in the first place...Because it was perceived that CVs were OP.  But if you look at their DPS or DPM instead of total damage they really weren't OP.  BBs routinely out DPSd CVs...the difference being that CVs tend to stay alive longer due to the nature of it's class.  So it isn't really about them being OP...it is because their ALPHA STRIKE is so high.  People don't get mad at the end of the game when they see the CV did a lot of damage...they get upset when their ship gets deleted off the map in 1 shot.  Partially also because they feel there was no way to avoid it...though that point is highly debatable.  So if we reduce their alpha strike quite a bit but also increase the speeds of planes to bring overall damage back up then we get rid of most of the OP complaining and we draw new players back to the class because of it's high damage potential to where the skill gap makes little difference again.  

Granted this is all super simplified because there is a lot more that would need to be done...things like dealing with spotting DDs and balancing AA between the teams better.

[WSU]
Members
61 posts
7,017 battles
21 minutes ago, stronk_like_bear said:

Even moderately skilled CVs can dominate like no other class, by far.

This, right here, is the entire problem in a nutshell. Not even the mighty Yam has that much influence over winning/losing a match.

If you're lucky enough to have an even a 1/2 decent CV on your side, the odds of winning the match just grew dramatically.

If you're stuck with the 38%WR CV, you'll need some really good team mates to make up for it.

And it just gets worse at higher tiers.

Some of the differences I see between good CV and bad are:

• Help spot reds early in the game, like keeping red DDs spotted so team can kill.
  • Torping/Bombing the RIGHT targets
  • Blind torping smoke
  • Keeping red CV from spotting with fighters
  • Move their boat with the team. Keeps reload times down
  • Help support the main force of the team with CAP

If you get a CV that can do just 2-3 of those things, you got a strong chance to win.

While I applaud Riken's effort to look at the CV issues from a completely different angle, I'm gonna have to say that adding ANY more power to them will just expand the chasm between good CVs and bad.

Just my $0.02, maybe less.

Members
8 posts
2,025 battles
21 minutes ago, InspGadgt said:

I also consider myself a CV main but I haven't been playing them much lately due to a lack of population.  It just takes too long to get a game these days in a CV. 

This issue is so complex that I'm not sure it can be fixed.  But I'll take a stab at it and re-hash some of the things that I've suggested in the past.

First I'll start off by saying that RTS games is a skill set that is quite different.  Not only does it require one to react quickly to things (twitch skill) but also to manage many things at one time.  That's why some strategy games are turn based instead of real time.  Those that stay real time and involve serious competitive multiplayer game play set up a tiered league system based on skill level (like StarCraft II).  In WoWS we really can't do either of those right now.  We might be able to do a somewhat skill based MM if we can get the number of CV players back up but that is going to take awhile.  So lets start tackling the issues in reverse order...the current complaint about CVs is the skills gap.  Why is this now an issue when it wasn't previously?  Well first I'd have to say the lack of players in the class...the more players there are the less often you will end up in games with a huge skill gap.  The other is the complexity of current CV game play not just in manual drops and strafing...but also in avoiding AA bubbles to be able to do enough damage that it matters.  Now non-CV players are not going to like this but hear me out.  The cause of both of this is nerfs...CVs have been nerfed so much that the class has to be played with such precision not just against the other CV player but against the other ships in the game.  Before all these nerfs came into play no one complained about a skill gap and there was a lot more CV players.  Personally I'm an average CV player at best...certainly no unicum...but looking at the damage I do now after all the nerfs and what I did before and quite honestly....it isn't all that much different.  All the nerfs did was make it harder for me to do that damage.  So it did little to nothing to address the complaints about CVs being OP but greatly affected the skill gap.  Now why were those nerfs done in the first place...Because it was perceived that CVs were OP.  But if you look at their DPS or DPM instead of total damage they really weren't OP.  BBs routinely out DPSd CVs...the difference being that CVs tend to stay alive longer due to the nature of it's class.  So it isn't really about them being OP...it is because their ALPHA STRIKE is so high.  People don't get mad at the end of the game when they see the CV did a lot of damage...they get upset when their ship gets deleted off the map in 1 shot.  Partially also because they feel there was no way to avoid it...though that point is highly debatable.  So if we reduce their alpha strike quite a bit but also increase the speeds of planes to bring overall damage back up then we get rid of most of the OP complaining and we draw new players back to the class because of it's high damage potential to where the skill gap makes little difference again.  

Granted this is all super simplified because there is a lot more that would need to be done...things like dealing with spotting DDs and balancing AA between the teams better.

Thanks for your opinion my friend, I appreciate it. I too consider myself a CV main albeit an average one at best. I do agree with many of your points.  

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles
40 minutes ago, stronk_like_bear said:

Except the skill gap isn't narrowed and it isn't world of CVs.  CV population is paltry at best.  Even before the nerfs it wasn't world of CVs.

#1 I can agree with...I never liked the strafing mechanic.  #2 though I can't...especially for USN CVs who's turn around time is already very long.  Imagine if it took twice as long for BBs to load...  #3 is debatable...the drops really aren't point blank they just appear to be due to the CV player dropping in such a manner that the torps are not visible (armed) until they are right on top of the ship.  And again USN CVs have a longer drop than IJN CVs already.  I would suggest instead a 2 color torpedo system...first an unarmed torpedo marker then an armed torpedo marker (For TBs only...not for DDs).  Try that first then maybe adjust drop distances if they need to be.

24 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Easier would be buff the auto-drop so it's just a notch or two below manual drop's effectiveness, then remove manual drop altogether and offer another loadout flavor. IJN can go TB crazy, with up to 4 squadrons (3 if running the bomber HP module) and only 1 DB. US can stack their fighters to 8 a group (9 if running AS skill) and run 8-plane DB if they like, no change to their TB except match it to tier (so Midway has T10 TB, Essex has T9, as the TB tier nerf was rather unwarranted).

Problem is, how to attack something in smoke without manual drop?

And a capable Random team can shut down a CV by running AA spec and moving in groups. Then CV is just a frustrated 1/12. Pendulum swings too far to UP or OP, been on both sides in Taiho, and it's not exactly fun.

Top CV players got to their position because put in the time and practice. But likely some got there because run in T10 AA divisions, so there's 0 reason to get upset about that.

1) Strafe just needs to go. Especially since WG added the exit-strafe, it's make CV captaincy needlessly more irritating. The standard fighter lock by itself was more than enough.

2) No use given the fact CV strikes have to fly to and from the target, and flight prep time. This would especially make US CV line less effective since they get the ridiculously long flight prep times.

3) That attack takes a lot of practice to master. And generally works only on lone or weak-AA targets. Which means that it's the victim's fault for being away from friendly AA. Removing it simply isn't going to happen. If you're fighting a CV, being in AA umbrella is really the battle, not the bomber drop--so fight the correct match.

All good points...though I would say maybe buff auto drop but not get rid of manual all together.

AA imbalance is a huge part of this issue...one that the non-CV players don't see because they really only notice when the CV is killing them...not when it isn't.  It can have as big if not more of an impact than the skills imbalance.  Add the skill imbalance on top of that (Unicum player on a AA heavy team against an average or less player on an AA light team) and it can get extremely bad.  Besides the AA imbalance you have problems where because AA cruisers spotting distance and airplane spotting difference you end up with planes getting shot down before you even see there is a cruiser there.  This can be compounded by lag too so those of us to play CVs from farther away run into this a lot.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles
3 hours ago, HQ_21 said:

Sums it up nicely. At some point WG will just have to make the unicums mad to save Carriers in game. You have a vocal minority holding up the process. This vocal minority keeps putting forth ideas the make CV more complicated and WG has already said overall they prefer simplicity. Make all tiers like 4-5 and you simplify it and open it up. 

• Cool 1

Members
1 post
1,123 battles

I've been messing with a very similar idea. I agree with fully embracing the RTS nature of carrier play and ditching manual drops. I don't agree with the flagship bonuses to carriers given how far behind the front line they are; the radius would have to be huge.

In my version, when a squadron is selected the consumable slots switch from the ship's to the squadron's which would consist of stances and at least one ability. Some rough ideas so far.

Fighters

• Aircraft rockets: Fits rockets, granting mild anti-ship capability. Has to be replenished at the CV. This will help deal with DDs since manual drops would no longer exist. The number and type depends on the tier. The IJN did use "rocket bombs" and, given that the Luftwaffe had them, the KM probably would have too if they ever finished a carrier.
  • WEP: War emergency power for those who don't know. Boosts the squadron's speed by, say, 50% for 30 seconds, followed by a reduction to, say 75% speed for 1 minute. If currently engaged by another fighter squadron when activated, that squadron is stunned for 5 seconds. Also useful for catching a strike squadron.
  • Aggressive/ defensive stance: Toggles like torpedo spread. An aggressive squadron will engage and chase down any squadron that comes within a certain distance . A defensive stance will only defend the area around the rally point, much like when assigned to an allied ship now.

Dive bombers

• AP/ HE bombs: Pretty self explanatory, switch between the two in-game.
  • Multiple bombs: Carries several smaller bombs. Increases the odds of hitting the target, but does less damage.
  • Drop altitude: Toggles the altitude at which bombs are released, changing the size of the bomb envelope. To compensate, the setting applies a damage multiplier to short range AA.
  • Bake in the evasive maneuver skill for DBs and TBS, maybe with a nerf to +50% health. Replace with "unburdened" which will partially or completely negate EM's speed debuff or some other new commander skill.

Torpedo bombers

• Sea skimming: Squadron flies extremely low. Reduces the damage of AA from the target ship as well as any panic effect from the target ship. Does not effect damage and panic from other ships. The squadron takes increased damage after pulling away and may lose planes to crashes if near geography. This will probably be way overpowered in high tiers with the large hangar sizes, but I can't think of any other abilities for TBs at the time.
  • Torpedo pattern stance: Toggles between different drop patterns, e.g. rectangle, fan, staggered, etc. Different patterns would have different potential damage: likelihood of damage ratios.

Lastly, I'd change how the air wings work for greater flexibility. For example, instead of 2/2/2, the air wing would be 3/3/2/6. This carrier can launch a maximum of 3 fighters, 3 DBs, and 2 TBs, but can only launch 6 flights at a time. The captain can launch any combination of flights within the type and total limits of the CV. Each landed flight can be toggled between the 3 types, provided it's within the type limits and there are planes available.