You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gene_Inari

This is why I hate the Nurnberg

27 comments in this topic

[AR]
Members
219 posts
5,509 battles

b5689db25c.png

1 citadel thru the bow, 1 penetration to the stern, and 3 overpens. All at ranges above 14km from T8 battleship AP.

5 hits and over 2/3rds of my health is gone without even showing broadside.

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Definitely not a personal fan of penetration to the stern...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Nürnberg is a tough ship to play, especially when up tiered. Those guns though... :fish_cute_2:

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,728 battles

Fun ship.  Great guns.

Stay at range and change course/speed like your life depends upon it.  It does.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

The key to Nurnberg is to use that 16.5km range to its fullest extent.

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

I hate the nurnburg because its always firing instant reload 8k damage HE barrages at me that cause 2 fires everytime they hit.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,212 posts
6,433 battles

And now imagine what she was like before WG buffed her~

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, delp5117 said:

Definitely not a personal fan of penetration to the stern...

Oh, man, what a softball!  The urge to take a swing at it is ... overwhelming!  Must resist.  Must resist. :cap_haloween:

Can't resist!  :cap_win:

Did the Nurnberg at least kiss its aft goodbye?  :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

Oh, man, what a softball!  The urge to take a swing at it is ... overwhelming!  Must resist.  Must resist. :cap_haloween:

Can't resist!  :cap_win:

Did the Nurnberg at least kiss its aft goodbye?  :cap_hmm:

Nice!  I admittedly couldn't help myself - the setup was too strong...

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

Nurnberg is a great little boat once you get to know her; yes she can be fragile but almost any cruiser can be if caught wrong.  I've been deleted just as fast in my Roon and Hindenburg on a couple of occasions from long distance volley's.  With Nurnberg take PT as your 1 pt skill, it will help a bunch; stay at longer ranges, spam HE for BB's, cruisers as it does start fires nicely with DE.  If your close to a DD who pops smoke, use your hydro, with HE loaded and kill him as you have a great rate of fire and can kill a DD quite quickly; up close with a cruiser or a hurt BB, use the AP as it does very good damage to both.  With that PT captain skill, if it shows more than 2 immediately start turning away and always be looking for incoming shots from anyone close to you.  You would be surprised at what she can take and what you can dish out.  I have been top of my team on quite a few occasions with her, so it is possible; just have to get used to her.  I still play mine quite often and it has a permanent spot in my port and I think I am presently only running an 8pt captain as I moved my original up the line.

Pete

Members
2,209 posts
4,051 battles
On 2/3/2018 at 9:25 AM, Gene_Inari said:

b5689db25c.png

1 citadel thru the bow, 1 penetration to the stern, and 3 overpens. All at ranges above 14km from T8 battleship AP.

5 hits and over 2/3rds of my health is gone without even showing broadside.

With rudder shift mod you can do a doughnut in the time it takes a round to fly 14km.

Try yoloing in it. It is amazing fun and brawling other cruisers will help you understand why it's more canon than glass. But still very fragile. 

Members
842 posts

The reality is that Nurnberg is just a good introduction to exactly what ALL cruisers face at T6 and above:  the fact that a same-tier BB can citadel you from ANY angle, and citadels while your stern is pointed at them are depressingly common.

BB AP can overmatch most CA's deck armor, and pretty much ALL bow and stern armor, on every CA out there (Hindenberg and a couple of others being exceptions). So angling doesn't do you much good, and none when long-range plunging fire is concerned.  You still want to do it, because it will minimum the total number of hits you take (being a smaller target), but it's not gonna help you once you get hit.

So, get used to eating random citadels in your cruisers. That's just cruiser life. Nothing you can do about it other than pray to RNGesus and try to position yourself so that you're much less favorable of a target than anything else around for those BBs to shoot at.

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

Exactly right; it's just cruiser life.  I have been deleted very quickly in my Hindenburg and my Roon on a couple of occasions from long range BB fire.  But it still doesn't change the fact that Nurnberg is a great little ship; one that I have used to be on top of a winning team on many times.  Use your max range and burn BB's or if you get close, use AP and cruisers, your rate of fire is your advantage.  Killing smoked up DD's using HE and your Hydro is great fun.

Pete

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I love my Nurnberg, she's a wonderful little cruiser that excels at supporting the team with ALL THE FIRES against BBs and just plain AP damage out the wazoo to everything else. She's a Cleveland that's a bit squishier but slightly more nimble in return, and decided to trade in a turret for torpedoes and a can of WD-40. Yes you're going to evaporate pretty quickly if a BB notices you, but that's CL life, especially at tier 6. Use cover, stick with your team, make CV drivers cry. That is how you Nurnberg, and how you tier 6 cruiser in general.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,949 posts
8,814 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, EAnybody said:

The reality is that Nurnberg is just a good introduction to exactly what ALL cruisers face at T6 and above:  the fact that a same-tier BB can citadel you from ANY angle...

While it is good for your survivability to get into this mindset, it isn't 100% accurate.  There are cruisers that can autobounce some BB shells bow-on at T7 and T8.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

While it is good for your survivability to get into this mindset, it isn't 100% accurate.  There are cruisers that can autobounce some BB shells bow-on at T7 and T8.

None at T7, they all have 16mm armor, which no BB main gun will bounce from, Hipper and NO can bounce 15inch rounds from bow and stern (all T6 BBs, 4 T7s, 6T8+ if you count French BBs).

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,949 posts
8,814 battles

Apologies, you're right.  Gotta go all the way to T8 for that.  

Members
842 posts

Doesn't matter that the bow will bounce it for a direct shot, the point is that BB AP can citadel through the deck armor at any angle on the ship with plunging fire. Heck, close-range frontal shots through the turret/superstructure can still end with a citadel (yeah, it's rare, but I've seen it).

The condition is such that there's no "safe" direction for ANY CA against ANY BB - BBs shooting AP at you will always run a change of citadeling your CA, and this risk goes WAY up for plunging fire. So much so that other than flat broadside at close range, CAs eat more citadels from long range plunging fire while "angled" than any other circumstance.

This is a function of insufficient overhead protection relative to the BB AP shells size and huge citadels.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
293 posts
4,947 battles

I hadn’t played the nurnburg since I was there (now have the hindy) but she was one of my favs. I loaded her up as a corgi with a 19pt captain and I stacked up a few high damage games. Stay at range, harass and when you get targeted kite like a boss.  Remember to spam AP at anything broadside.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
On 2/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, EAnybody said:

Doesn't matter that the bow will bounce it for a direct shot, the point is that BB AP can citadel through the deck armor at any angle on the ship with plunging fire. Heck, close-range frontal shots through the turret/superstructure can still end with a citadel (yeah, it's rare, but I've seen it).

The condition is such that there's no "safe" direction for ANY CA against ANY BB - BBs shooting AP at you will always run a change of citadeling your CA, and this risk goes WAY up for plunging fire. So much so that other than flat broadside at close range, CAs eat more citadels from long range plunging fire while "angled" than any other circumstance.

This is a function of insufficient overhead protection relative to the BB AP shells size and huge citadels.

Plunging fire on most BBs only happens from max range with spotter plane up. The problem is that unless you are angled to autobounce, BB AP will still melt through armor. BTW, the deck armor on all cruisers is at least as good as the bow armor. Some even have better main deck armor than bow armor (see Moskva). And no, CAs that can autobounce a BB she’ll will not take citadels from that same BB she’ll from bow on. Disregard that if your cruiser has 25mm though, DoY and KGV are the only ships that will bounce, and they spam HE (unless your in Mogami and a Kongo fail Divs into your battle).

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,994 battles

Nurnberg might be my least favorite of the German cruiser line.  2 turrets in the back and 1 in the front means you rarely wanna be facing the enemy.  Weird play style to try to have your butt facing the enemy all the time (or show broadside which is a big no no).  

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

Fact of the matter; it's hard to beat a Nurnberg with hydro and that 6 second reload for going DD hunting.  So very satisfying; and it's not bad to sit around near max range and spamming HE love for all of the BB camping we have these days.  Plus the dodging and weaving makes it tough for them to shoot back, burn baby burn!

Pete

[-DOG-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
269 posts
2,198 battles

I love my Nurn.  I'm keeping it even though I'm working my way up the tree.  When every I'm having a bad day in WoWS, I just hop in the Nurn and blast away.  In the opening minutes I tend to play pretty conservative and stay just at edge of combat range.  In later stages, it's time to move up and rek some noobs.  Also, I try to never be alone when I'm in my Nurn.  It's best as a supporting fire ship in my opinion.  Or a DD hunter.  DDs see me coming and run.