You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

how does an average player rank out?

20 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles

so I am an ok player, I am not flamu but i definitely do not do stupid things either.

The other day I saw a guy who has like 900 WTR (I know it's not the best metric for your skills) and 50.4% WR in ranked games, and he reached rank 1! and he also reached rank 1 six other times preivously!

So my question is, how do I reach rank 1 as an above average player? Last season I only played about 80 games or so and reached rank 8.

Do I have to:

• play a ton of games?
  • use the best ship?
  • do I turn off the game if I am on a losing stream, or do I keep playing?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles

I think I saw an analysis that said the average player can rank out after like 271 or so.

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
8,993 battles

Here's your answer:

image.thumb.png.fe3b12dce4d6e7dae7072dd39b4ad2e3.png

Edited by Ducky_shot

Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles

1.  Not going to beat around the bush some ships have inherent advantages to ranked battles.  Watch the youtube videos for the current season and see what they are as the meta does shift a bit over time.

2.  Above all, play a ship you perform well in.  Understand what that ship is supposed to do for the team and find a way to do it safely.  Getting killed really hurts the team and makes it much harder to save a star (even though I wish they'd kill that mechanic). 

Some examples:

If you are a BB dont hump your fellow BBs in some weird armored orgy going around the map.  Get some separation to create a crossfire.  This is not a license to push and over extend and die.  You are merely trying to threaten more angles ideally forcing the enemy to give their broadside to you or a friendly BB.  Dying means you cant get cross fires and teams can just angle to the surviving BBs and kill everything else.

Radar CA you are the gate keeper of the caps.  You need to be in position to influence fights on the caps even if you are unable to shoot the targets you radar.  BBs and smoked up DDs need the spotting to kill the enemy DDs.  You dying makes it vastly easier on the enemy to take the caps.

In DDs your top priority is not to die early.  You cap, spot, torp, smoke team mates etc. 

3.  As someone trying to rank out for the first time you really need to start early as possible to give yourself time.

4.  Early season ranked 5 bracket is loaded with amazing players.  Watch and learn.  Seriously one of the best information sources in the game is watching and learning.  Never go back to port until you feel you have learned everything there is to learn from the battle.

5.  Reflect on the losses.  What could you have done to carry the team?  Are you not playing your best?  Tired, need a break?  Learn from your mistakes and dont repeat them.

6.  Maintain your sanity.  I see players lose their crapevery season.  I actually love ranked.  Wasnt always so  though.  I took LWM's advice and broke ranked up into goals and stop losses.  My goal is to gain a rank a day.  If I am in the zone, playing good, on the top 3 consistently on the scoreboards I will reach for more.  At any point if I lose two stars from my starting point or past my goal that day I stop.  Its not my day.  Either I'm off, tired, etc.  Stop.  I have heard the heart break of several clan members who didnt heed that advice and lost several full ranks in a night.  They often got so disheartened they gave up.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 2

Members
2,437 posts
12,173 battles
24 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

so I am an ok player, I am not flamu but i definitely do not do stupid things either.

The other day I saw a guy who has like 900 WTR (I know it's not the best metric for your skills) and 50.4% WR in ranked games, and he reached rank 1! and he also reached rank 1 six other times preivously!

So my question is, how do I reach rank 1 as an above average player? Last season I only played about 80 games or so and reached rank 8.

Do I have to:

• play a ton of games?
  • use the best ship?

Some are good

Some cheat

many drop sync and cheat

Some grind it out.

In any case, it's work.

• Boring 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
34 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

Do I have to:

• play a ton of games?
  • use the best ship?

there are some that took over 1k match to rank out  with those WR.     

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

It's not hard to win ranked games I just never have the patience to rank out

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
8,993 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

1.  Not going to beat around the bush some ships have inherent advantages to ranked battles.  Watch the youtube videos for the current season and see what they are as the meta does shift a bit over time.

2.  Above all, play a ship you perform well in.  Understand what that ship is supposed to do for the team and find a way to do it safely.  Getting killed really hurts the team and makes it much harder to save a star (even though I wish they'd kill that mechanic). 

Some examples:

If you are a BB dont hump your fellow BBs in some weird armored orgy going around the map.  Get some separation to create a crossfire.  This is not a license to push and over extend and die.  You are merely trying to threaten more angles ideally forcing the enemy to give their broadside to you or a friendly BB.  Dying means you cant get cross fires and teams can just angle to the surviving BBs and kill everything else.

Radar CA you are the gate keeper of the caps.  You need to be in position to influence fights on the caps even if you are unable to shoot the targets you radar.  BBs and smoked up DDs need the spotting to kill the enemy DDs.  You dying makes it vastly easier on the enemy to take the caps.

In DDs your top priority is not to die early.  You cap, spot, torp, smoke team mates etc. 

3.  As someone trying to rank out for the first time you really need to start early as possible to give yourself time.

4.  Early season ranked 5 bracket is loaded with amazing players.  Watch and learn.  Seriously one of the best information sources in the game is watching and learning.  Never go back to port until you feel you have learned everything there is to learn from the battle.

5.  Reflect on the losses.  What could you have done to carry the team?  Are you not playing your best?  Tired, need a break?  Learn from your mistakes and dont repeat them.

6.  Maintain your sanity.  I see players lose their crapevery season.  I actually love ranked.  Wasnt always so  though.  I took LWM's advice and broke ranked up into goals and stop losses.  My goal is to gain a rank a day.  If I am in the zone, playing good, on the top 3 consistently on the scoreboards I will reach for more.  At any point if I lose two stars from my starting point that day I stop.  Its not my day.  Either I'm off, tired, etc.  Stop.  I have heard the heart break of several clan members who didnt heed that advice and lost several full ranks in a night.  They often got so disheartened they gave up.

Yeah, ^^^^^

I used a combo of ships to get to rank 10, tried out a few and decided I didn't like most of them for the way I saw the meta progressing. I used mostly Alabama up to that point and then switched to the LY and played it all the way down to 1.  Definitely get comfortable in the ship you are playing. Know what you have to do to help your team and give your team an advantage. I did take the meta setting ship as I don't like getting frustrated by not having a meta ship on my team. I would have hated to queue up in something else and see a chappy and LY on their team and no radar or LY on our team. I made sure my team always had 1 of those.

My LY philosophy was to get into a good spot to cap and hopefully force enemy dd's into an engagement where they were at a disadvantage. I contested from spots where I could not get flanked and had an exit. No sense contesting a cap and dying leaving your team without the cap or your ship... Much better to let them have the cap but your team still has your ship. Let the other team make the stupid plays and die for them.

If the cap was ours and it was a fight between the caps. I went out in a spot and waited where I knew the enemy dd's would try to come to flank us, torp us, etc. I could them spot them for my team to kill as well as dealing damage myself. I focused on anti-dd tactics every game, knowing that my team would always have a better chance if we had dd's and they didn't.

I focused on winning and not star saving. I would sit and contest a cap for half the match getting little damage if that's what needed done. I didn't save as many stars as a lot of better players below me, but I had a better win rate than them but had to play a lot more games than they did.

Try to be cordial to your team and get them on board with what you are doing. Get them to support you and you support them.

Don't get tilted. You are only 1/7 players, you are not going to win every game. The sooner a person accepts that (Guy that whines every ranked season, but ranks out each season, I'm looking at you...) the better off they are.

as far as being goal oriented, I was gone on holidays in the middle of January. My goal was to get to 5 before I left and being as I would be home that last 9 days of the month without my family, I figured I could do the serious grinding then. I got to 5 a week before I left and didn't touch ranked until I got back. I tried to gain 1 rank a day, but if I wan't getting too far, I never let myself drop too far before taking a break.

When I got back I tried to continue to get 1 rank a day and was fairly successful at it and went through the 5-2 bracket in 5 days. I did get an insanely lucky winning streak at the end winning 12 of my last 13 games. The play in the top league at that point was about what the play in the second league had been when I started. The problem I found with 1st league is that it was a mix of mediocre players and good players making it somewhat unpredictable. Some of the worst plays I saw all season were in 1st league in that last week.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles

You don't.

Plenty of above average players burn out without ranking out due to the stress and mindless repetition. Plenty, like myself have given up on the game mode for anything more than to grind out stock ships with. 

There is just no point and no meaningful reward at this point.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
311 posts
11,629 battles

As someone whom has ranked out 3 times already, I can give you some pointers here.

1)For the most part, your ship does not matter, save for a few exceptions. For example for this passed season I would argue that Lexington is the only true bad ship. With Kiev and Ognevoi being strangely odd but workable in some cases. Everything else is finally really, including Mogami and Hipper.

2)Everything above Rank 5 is not so important. Even with a Lexington you can carry at those ranks.

3) Rank 2-5 is where the real grind is. I entered the premier league at 120 games and a W/R of 67%. Did not rank out until 333 games and a W/R of 53%. (I was lucky to have gotten in some Rank 1 games).

4) Once you get to the premier leagues, it is all about pattern. There is a smaller number of different ships for the most part, and also reinforced by the smaller number of players in that league. You will ALWAYS run into familiar names in the 2-5 ranked games and often season after season. Memorize their play style and get ready to counter them when they are on the opposite team.

5)Once you get to the premier league, not only is the competition brutally stiffer, it remains so until the last 2 weeks or so of ranked, when the top best or experienced players have already ranked out.

6) Play ranked on certain times of the day and on certain days. If I ever get the chance to actually play ranked games on early morning weekdays, that is when the competition is softer, later on when everyone is home from where ever they've been is when things get harder. At least this is my experience.

7) If you find yourself in a nasty losing streak, step away from ranked, all the big fish are most likely prowling about and mm is not putting them in your team.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,223 posts
8,400 battles

Basically if you're an average player, you can still rank out by being 1) lucky, 2) persistent. You can be a terrible player and get to rank 1 by being lucky and getting carried for several games in a row. Uncommon for sure, but not impossible. Similarly, if you can maintain anything above 50%, you should get there eventually, bad luck be damned.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,782 battles

If the system was designed properly they wouldn't. The whole point of ranked is to be a contest of skill - instead it is set up so that you can just spam games in a ship with a high base exp coefficient.

Rank 1 was supposed to be a skill gate, not a time gate!

• Boring 1

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, _Dracarys said:

Do I have to:

• play a ton of games?
  • use the best ship?

Found your problem.  WTR and WR metrics in ranked games scales very differently from same metrics in random games.  55% randoms player which is considered to be well above average can easily end up with 49% rating in ranked after spending many games in the final league.  This is because competition is different.  Find out what the random stats for your player are, and you will find this is not an average player.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
26 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Basically if you're an average player, you can still rank out by being 1) lucky, 2) persistent. You can be a terrible player and get to rank 1 by being lucky and getting carried for several games in a row. Uncommon for sure, but not impossible. Similarly, if you can maintain anything above 50%, you should get there eventually, bad luck be damned.

It is impossible.  Terrible players don’t rank out.  I checked all players across all seasons that played over 1000 games and had below 48% WR in ranked and ranked out.  Then I checked randoms stats for all of those players.  All of them were above average, worst guy had 54% WR in randoms, and this is the most terrible player I found.

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles

Play a lot and play early. Earlier in the season there are enough good players that you can get carried. Even the best players can't rank out if they wait until later because the only people left playing are there for a reason. You flip flop teams among the same pool of shitters/star farmers and trade wins, making it significantly harder to get ahead.

[PVE]
Members
8,846 posts
7,257 battles
8 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

It is impossible.  Terrible players don’t rank out.  I checked all players across all seasons that played over 1000 games and had below 48% WR in ranked and ranked out.  Then I checked randoms stats for all of those players.  All of them were above average, worst guy had 54% WR in randoms, and this is the most terrible player I found.

I wondered if it was something like this. I watched @IvanPonomarev play his new Flint in a random game yesterday and I have a long, long way to go to get one of those nice ships.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,890 battles
10 hours ago, CylonRed said:

I think I saw an analysis that said the average player can rank out after like 271 or so.

Hi.  Pretty sure that isnt correct.  Instead, of those who did rank out, it took them on average 270-ish battles to do so.  Those are two different things, alas. 

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
551 posts
4,747 battles

spam games, try to get top of team as much as possible

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

first, you need to be able to have a net postive star gain in 6-10 bracket, then you spam games in rank 5-2 bracket until you brownian motion into rank1

this can take upwards of 1k battle in the 40day rank season, averaging about 25 per day

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I wondered if it was something like this. I watched @IvanPonomarev play his new Flint in a random game yesterday and I have a long, long way to go to get one of those nice ships.

I ranked out once, just to experience such event once myself.  Well, I also wanted the Jolly Roger flag as well to be honest.  I don’t remember how many games it took, but the lesson I learned is that the time investment was quite substantial, and it took time away from things like spending time with my family.  I had to skip number of morning hikes with my kid, and make other small sacrifices to get the extra time to play.  For me the time investment ranking out multiple seasons is not worth the rewards, but I do have respect for players that go through with that.