You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Avatar

Help with Yamato

20 comments in this topic

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,670 battles

Replay link is here , i can't get it to work myself .

If anyone can view it and  " critic " it would be appreciated .

I only have a few games in Her at this time and feel like i am not playing it right .

maybe i am playing it too much like Izumo or something .

anyway thanks in advance for suggestions etc. 

P>S>

You won't hurt my feelings . i can't fix what i am doing wrong unless someone points it out to me .

again Thanks :)

20180123_183630_PJSB018-Yamato-1944_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
431 posts
2,670 battles
2 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

NOW THERE ARE TWO OF THESE THREADS!

what ? i didn't post any other thread about this ?

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,588 posts
3,925 battles
7 minutes ago, Captain_Avatar said:

what ? i didn't post any other thread about this ?

I think he's talking about this thread.

I'd offer my services, but I don't have Yamato, or any other tier 10.  I'm not familiar enough with the ship to provide you with any guidance.

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
431 posts
2,670 battles
4 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

I think he's talking about this thread.

I'd offer my services, but I don't have Yamato, or any other tier 10.  I'm not familiar enough with the ship to provide you with any guidance.

ahh ok i just checked that thread. 

OP is pretty much asking the same thing , just about a Tier 5 Omaha instead of a Yamato .

Anyway whats the big deal , that's one of the purposes of the forum . 

And if you post asking how to play a certain ship you will always be asked for replays that can be reviewed .

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,588 posts
3,925 battles

This forum has an undeserved reputation of being full of nothing but trolls.  I'm not sure why.  It's a standard game forum.

YISFZfV.png

• Funny 1

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
431 posts
2,670 battles
4 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

This forum has an undeserved reputation of being full of nothing but trolls.  I'm not sure why.  It's a standard game forum.

YISFZfV.png

Lol 

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles

havent had a chance to get off work to look at your stuff. but general rule of thumb of yamato is to stay at 15-20km and snipe, keep as many enemies as possible on one side and never show broad side.

• Cool 1

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles
45 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

NOW THERE ARE TWO OF THESE THREADS!

Was having a chat with a bunch of ppl today and somebody pointed out that some ppl just like making other ppl mad...(if they can pull it off....don't think that's happening here...)...they get a kick out of it....

...yah and there's two or more of lots of much more bonehead topics than this....mine too...

...who says there's no stupid questions?....there's plenty.... but this topic isn't one of them.

[RKLES]
Members
7,118 posts
8,767 battles

Yamato is vastly different from the Izumo in my relative short experience with Yamato.

Major thing you want is Concealment Mod 1 otherwise enemy will know where you are and will focus Fire you to death in a hurry. Also you need Steering Gear shift Mod, Auxiliary Armaments Mod, Damage control system Mod,

Preventive Maintenance, your going to endure HE as well as AP spam and you need the module protection

Expert Marksman, your turrets really need the traverse speed from this.

BFT and AFT skills to help your AA and Secondaries be able to do a little something against air and DD attacks.

Superintendent for the extra Repair Party, you also need the premium Damage Control and Repair Parties to keep you alive as long as possible.

I also went with Catapult Fighter since Yamato gun range is long enough even with out the Spotter plane and the catapult fighter helps defend me from enemy planes.

[SIMP]
Members
994 posts

I'm with the OP.

I have quite a few games in Yamato and she seems completely RNG based on how well she performs.

Had a game just this morning in co-op against a bot Missouri. We went head-to-head (or bow-on to bow-on). I jammed my Yammy in reverse as he was headed straight at me. "This should be easy", I thought to myself. This is EXACTLY where Yamato shines with her much touted overmatch mechanic with her guns. Six-round volley after six-round volley starting at 12km, plink, 1056 damage, plink, 1056 damage PER VOLLEY into her bow. The Missouri is slowly closing the distance as I back up staying bow on. Plink, 1056 damage. UGH. Okay, screw this [edited] overmatch crap. I start firing into the superstructure  - 5 overpens - but at least that is 5k damage. Boom, boom, boom. Slowly eat away at the superstructure with 3 more volleys (yes this took a WHILE). He's at 3km now and I think, "The overmatch mechanic HAS to work now!" Boom - six shells right into his bow - slightly offset to get his citadel - 10k damage  - no cits. WHAT!?!?! Now he turns FULL BROADSIDE to me to bring his rear turret around and try to flank me. I'm at half health just like he is at this point and still bow on to him. I line up at his waterline right where the citadel should be... he's now 1.7 km away - FULL BROADSIDE. Boom! Six 18" shells of doom hit him right in the bread basket.....  one regular pen for 3k damage and 5 richochets.... wth!!??!?!? How the hell do five 18" AP shells bounce at that range against a FULL BRAODSIDE BB???? Our Missouri then has RNG smile on him with his very first volley as he rounds an island to help - and erases the bot Missouri easily with every shell getting a cit.

I mean seriously, what am I doing wrong?? 

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

I'll take a look at it when I get home

• Cool 1

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

First, don't fire HE on your first salvo. Second, you take to long to engage targets and spend too much time aiming. Third, run premium consumables, they don't cost much but drastically improve your ship, When the missouri sails out broadside just outside of b, you should have already had your guns preaimed there, you shouldn't have shot the gk on fire with 2k hp remaining, don't aim for the deck on bow in yamatos, it's 57mm thick and you can't overmatch it, aim for the bow instead. Towards the end of the game there's not much you could do to pull it back, you just didn't have enough influence early on, and you either should have shot the superstructe, or tried to hit the very top sliver of its upper bow where the armor is only 32mm thick.

• Cool 1

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
431 posts
2,670 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

First, don't fire HE on your first salvo. Second, you take to long to engage targets and spend too much time aiming. Third, run premium consumables, they don't cost much but drastically improve your ship, When the missouri sails out broadside just outside of b, you should have already had your guns preaimed there, you shouldn't have shot the gk on fire with 2k hp remaining, don't aim for the deck on bow in yamatos, it's 57mm thick and you can't overmatch it, aim for the bow instead. Towards the end of the game there's not much you could do to pull it back, you just didn't have enough influence early on, and you either should have shot the superstructe, or tried to hit the very top sliver of its upper bow where the armor is only 32mm thick.

Thanks for the advice. duly noted .

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Avatar said:

Replay link is here , i can't get it to work myself .

If anyone can view it and  " critic " it would be appreciated .

I only have a few games in Her at this time and feel like i am not playing it right .

maybe i am playing it too much like Izumo or something .

anyway thanks in advance for suggestions etc. 

P>S>

You won't hurt my feelings . i can't fix what i am doing wrong unless someone points it out to me .

again Thanks :)

20180123_183630_PJSB018-Yamato-1944_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

Checked the replay, some things unavoidable:

- Your guys' DDs got rekt early and that set a bad tempo, especially in Cap B where your BBs were getting torped.  The Missouri and DM in the southeast of Cap B were in a supportive position that your CV couldn't help at B due to the monstrous AA.

With 20/20 hindsight, with what looks like guys wanting to get Cap B, it would have been ideal to stay NW with Yamato of Cap B but outside it to stay out of torpedo range.  E4 or E3 would have been a good spot.  Go bow on facing SE from there.  At that position you could have threatened DM & Missouri who were camping that spot.  You'd take HE spam from DM for sure, but some AP shells would get him to reconsider.  Yamato can take the HE spam for a good while, as long as you can dislodge DM & Missouri from there.  The AA and Radar they were providing gave your Gearing nightmares.

You guys eventually sailed into Cap B but left the south / southwest wide open.  There were tons of red ships camping behind the islands waiting from the SE of Cap B.  Missouri was still waiting in that old spot near G6 and came out when you guys were being attacked by the others.  This put your entire group in a crossfire.  You were either going to be exposed to the large group or the Missouri in G6.  This scattered what was left of your team.

Yamato is a static fighter.  The reason is the poor turret traverse, as you probably saw towards the end when you needed to maneuver or die, and the turrets couldn't keep up.

IMO, if you and maybe another BB, i.e. that other Yamato, were camping at E4 or E3 and threatened the entire cap and everything south of you, DM & Missouri would not have had been in that position to menace Montana and Gearing.  2 Yamatos camping there would pick Missouri & DM apart.  It would have made the seizure of Cap B a lot more feasible.  MO & DM would be destroyed or driven off and the DD that was there would have a tougher time working the cap against you.  From E4 or E3 torpedoes would be out of range and the DD would have to push up hard to try to get to you.

Lastly, I suggest Premium Consumables.  Not necessarily for the Spotter Plane but DCP would be of great use with the shorter CD and the tendency for Yamato to attract every shell on the map, especially with a 17.5km detection range you have.

I also second Fog_Battleship_NCarolina's sentiment to use AP, even at long range.  460mm AP does very funny things to ships when they hit, even at long range.  I can attest from my high tier Cruisers that Yamato AP at long range hitting me is deadly.  You'll hurt bad even other BBs.  Even if you land HE shells and fires at long range, the target will simply put it out and go back into concealment.  At the start of the match this is very easy to deal with lucky long range HE & Fires, and easy to back into concealment.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
431 posts
2,670 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Checked the replay, some things unavoidable:

- Your guys' DDs got rekt early and that set a bad tempo, especially in Cap B where your BBs were getting torped.  The Missouri and DM in the southeast of Cap B were in a supportive position that your CV couldn't help at B due to the monstrous AA.

With 20/20 hindsight, with what looks like guys wanting to get Cap B, it would have been ideal to stay NW with Yamato of Cap B but outside it to stay out of torpedo range.  E4 or E3 would have been a good spot.  Go bow on facing SE from there.  At that position you could have threatened DM & Missouri who were camping that spot.  You'd take HE spam from DM for sure, but some AP shells would get him to reconsider.  Yamato can take the HE spam for a good while, as long as you can dislodge DM & Missouri from there.  The AA and Radar they were providing gave your Gearing nightmares.

You guys eventually sailed into Cap B but left the south / southwest wide open.  There were tons of red ships camping behind the islands waiting from the SE of Cap B.  Missouri was still waiting in that old spot near G6 and came out when you guys were being attacked by the others.  This put your entire group in a crossfire.  You were either going to be exposed to the large group or the Missouri in G6.  This scattered what was left of your team.

Yamato is a static fighter.  The reason is the poor turret traverse, as you probably saw towards the end when you needed to maneuver or die, and the turrets couldn't keep up.

IMO, if you and maybe another BB, i.e. that other Yamato, were camping at E4 or E3 and threatened the entire cap and everything south of you, DM & Missouri would not have had been in that position to menace Montana and Gearing.  2 Yamatos camping there would pick Missouri & DM apart.  It would have made the seizure of Cap B a lot more feasible.  MO & DM would be destroyed or driven off and the DD that was there would have a tougher time working the cap against you.  From E4 or E3 torpedoes would be out of range and the DD would have to push up hard to try to get to you.

Thanks !

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

I gave Yamato 75 games or so...36% win rate but every other stat is ok.  She needs a team to make her work for me and team play isn't what this game is about for me.

Gearing win rate through 40 games 60% and just got Mino after 5 games 60% soooooo...I lean towards more independent ships.  

Good luck dude!

I love Yamato, but hate some of the shenanigans at tier 10.  Even when you play it "correctly" your team will make you wrong.  If that makes sense.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

Keep the faith with 460mm AP!

Musashi bagging a citadel x2 hit on a Missouri at about 20km.

Spoiler

NK1E0ru.jpg

Getting pens on a Bismarck at 20km.

Spoiler

3SZcF25.jpg

4zHrjne.jpg

... And Yamato has the same 460mm guns but with better sigma.

Yamato shooting at another Yamato at the early phase of the match.  24km salvo, still get a citadel.

Spoiler

8Io7UOw.jpg

CuCW1zk.jpg

If I was using HE and landed fires at these ranges, the target would simply hold fire, "go dark," and then pop DCP to put the fires out.  The HE shell damage is far less than AP damage, and since the target popped DCP to end the fires, they do next to nothing.  AP damage is moar, AP damage is meaningful, and AP may bag you citadels.  Repair Party can't do much against citadel damage.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,365 posts

They did something to Yamato guns when Musashi was introduced.

Overnight the guns became completely unreliable in terms of damage.

Aim at a flat broadside BB under 10km at waterline, WATCH the shells hit on spot... and you get 2k damage from overpen.

...how the bleeding anus does that become an overpen? It overpen'd the thickest armor on the ship, went through a citadel AND through the armor on the side? That simply does not happen. Its absurd.

Either sigma or dispersion was definitely increased as well ... the guns now feel like I am driving a pre-fix North Carolina.

Its become so absurd that firing HE has become a better option than AP.