You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Richelieu opinions from the people who've played it

29 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

I'm gunning for the French line and my main priority is the Richelieu at T8. Just read LWM's review which placed it as average but very close to above average. Was looking for more opinions(from the people who've played the ships, I've seen the stats already) and more importantly how good it compares to the other T8 BB's?  

Of secondary concern is Bretagne and Courbett opinions of where they stand in their tiers, as I plan on acquiring and keeping these two, especially the Bretagne which looks freaking awesome. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Most of the people who have played the French Battleships are under an NDA and cannot comment on them.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

And those CCs that can comment only got them like yesterday, so be patient and give them a chance.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
420 posts
18,285 battles

Well, I have sunk a Few being the Richelieu and the France and let me tell you that Richelieu took my Missouri Broadside like a champ! Double Citadel! Guess he should have aimed at me and not gone nose first at my teammate. Now the France was a tough nut to crack. Took me awhile in my Zao to keep setting her on fire and watching her burn then I would disappear at range. Must have been frustrating for that France Captain. But overall the ship burned very well. Kinda like a beach bonfire. Any other questions?

Members
1,503 posts
7,911 battles
6 hours ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

Well, I have sunk a Few being the Richelieu and the France and let me tell you that Richelieu took my Missouri Broadside like a champ! Double Citadel! Guess he should have aimed at me and not gone nose first at my teammate. Now the France was a tough nut to crack. Took me awhile in my Zao to keep setting her on fire and watching her burn then I would disappear at range. Must have been frustrating for that France Captain. But overall the ship burned very well. Kinda like a beach bonfire. Any other questions?

Hey

Ya Filthy Pelican you!!

Pete

• Funny 1

Members
4,131 posts
On 2/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, Filthy_Pelican said:

Took me awhile in my Zao to keep setting her on fire and watching her burn then I would disappear at range.

Ah, the no skill fire damage (sorry, had to do it).

As for the Richelieu, always been one of my favorite battleships, alas, she's T8 where battles begin to get boring.  But I'll grind up to her and she'll be like my other T8 BBs, nice to look at, and an occasional spin hoping I don't put my fist through my screen with the awful T8-10 gameplay.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
420 posts
18,285 battles
18 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Ah, the no skill fire damage (sorry, had to do it).

As for the Richelieu, always been one of my favorite battleships, alas, she's T8 where battles begin to get boring.  But I'll grind up to her and she'll be like my other T8 BBs, nice to look at, and an occasional spin hoping I don't put my fist through my screen with the awful T8-10 gameplay.

No Skill ha? And what would skill have been in a Cruiser vs a Battleship to you? That was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted....

Members
4,131 posts
23 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

No Skill ha? And what would skill have been in a Cruiser vs a Battleship to you? That was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted....

So, what skill is required in the damage fire does?  I'm not talking about setting the fire, but the damage the fire does, which requires zero skill.

[CVA16]
Members
2,161 posts
9,613 battles
6 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

So, what skill is required in the damage fire does?  I'm not talking about setting the fire, but the damage the fire does, which requires zero skill.

A little skill if you are in a squishy cruiser. You have to know when to shoot, when to change targets, and when to go silent, where you can find effective cover, or how to dodge if you can't, all the while hoping you don't get one-shotted by a BB when spotted.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
109 posts
5,188 battles

It strikes me as a "hit and run" BB, make your move do what you can and then try to get outa dodge if it didnt go as planned.

Also makes for a great T10 BB ramming vehicle. Put those ramming flags on.

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

its a great area denial BB, and has good speed to change position.      I play it somewhat like i do with baltimore.  have DD in front in cap and find good position to cover large area while having cover .   guns are very accurate, and you are pretty tanky in the front. i do have secondary mod, and it can come in handy when you need to get close.  it is squishy to the side and back though.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,544 posts
13,992 battles

TLDR:  Richelieu is a Brawling Battleship.  You try to plink at range against Amagi, Iowa, Missouri, Montana, Musashi, Yamato, you're going to get the worst of it.

Richelieu is best used offensively and in pursuit moves, is excellent in that capacity.  If she has to kite, the gun setup is quite clumsy.

She is fast, sails well, and like most high tier BBs, tough bow on but still must protect her sides.  Active Engine Boost, she sails amazingly.

AA is good, but Kii, NC, Alabama are better.  Still, you're in a good spot in AA and a CV will pay if it wants a piece of you and you are AA specced.

Secondaries?  The most disappointing thing about her.  I was initially overjoyed when I had AFT and threw SBM2 on.  It reached out to 10.8km.  Far better than USN & IJN BBs of the tier, but just a bit shy of 11.3km of VIII German BBs.  However, she doesn't have enough secondary guns and they don't fire fast enough.  The volume of fire is anemic, which is made worse since 100mm guns fail to pen and do damage on BB threats.  Alsace has the same problem at Tier IX with her 100mm guns.  But Alsace has WAYYyyyy more 100mm guns and they fire significantly faster.  If Alsace cannot damage a BB with 100mm shell hits, then she will at the very least, keep them in a perpetual state of fire.  Richelieu doesn't have that.  She doesn't have the secondaries gun count to make up for the mediocre reload speed.  She has range, but not rate of fire nor mass of guns to make up for her the low amount of shells she puts down with her secondaries.  Which is too bad.  French 152mm guns have a terrific 12% fire chance.  Richelieu just doesn't fire them fast enough.

Main Battery?  They're quite decent but as with all 380mm guns at Tier VIII+, they have issues.

Excellent penetration values, especially considering these are 15" in a tier with lots of 16" power.

t8bbpen.png.6bf2cedfce458f8a3c1276120331

As you can see, her ability to penetrate drops off from the 16"/406mm/410mm competition past 14km.  Incidentally, this is where her gunnery, accuracy is at her best.  14km and lower, these are very dangerous BB guns.  But a problem is her gunnery is less reliable once you start looking 15km+.  The shells like to scatter and since you only have 8 rifles, it can be annoying.  Except for the superior pen values of French 380mm, Bismarck and Tirpitz players will know this feeling quite well.  Close the range and the dispersion problem is no longer a thing.

The other part is typical of 15" problems in high tier... Some Cruisers in high tier can face tank 15" AP with no problems.  I've ambushed 2 Bismarcks around the islands in Cap B of Warrior's Path.

160px-Warrior's_Path.png

I was bow in, in short range with Des Moines, and the 2 Bismarcks and their 15" guns couldn't hurt me.  Their secondaries could not keep up with my DM's DPM and I sank them both.  Again, this is general 15" problems in high tier.

However, the guns are still decent.  Again, great penetration values and if some BB shows broadside, if you can hit, you'll make them pay.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,544 posts
13,992 battles
2 hours ago, 1An0maly1 said:

Excellent mid range gunnery

Yeah, that 14km or less window, very good.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
28 posts
7,318 battles

Heh charged a silly reversing Yamato, he was aiming at the bb next to me.  By the time he got his guns on me I was about 2km away going full speed with speed boost on, his shots did nothing to me.  Got 1 cit on his left side swung around behind him and got 3 more to finish him off before he could get his guns turned again.  I love how well this thing handles and the guns turn at a good speed so switching targets is a breeze.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,402 posts
25,221 battles

What Haze said. Richeliu should be in the thick of things, spamming out secondaries and using her punchy 15" guns to make holes in other ships. It's really good. I'd play it more often but... there's Alsace [swoons].

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,544 posts
13,992 battles
On 3/19/2018 at 8:48 AM, Motokorth said:

Heh charged a silly reversing Yamato, he was aiming at the bb next to me.  By the time he got his guns on me I was about 2km away going full speed with speed boost on, his shots did nothing to me.  Got 1 cit on his left side swung around behind him and got 3 more to finish him off before he could get his guns turned again.  I love how well this thing handles and the guns turn at a good speed so switching targets is a breeze.

Not sure why you got downvoted.  Unless it was the Yammie you killed :Smile_Default:

Members
1,503 posts
7,911 battles

Hey

I got my Richelieu yesterday and took it our for 3 games last night; I can say for me she is a beast.  I rather like the ship and find it easier to play effectively than what you could with Dunkerque due to it being more durable and the gins seemed to be more consistent.  They games were around 70K range, one being a T10 game and it was lower but I still was one of the more productive people on the team.  I think she will get better the more one learns how it plays.  Good Boat.

P.S.  I also picked up the Gascogne and found it to be more difficult to get a good game.  The gun placement was ok, no real issue but getting shots to do any real damage was tough, they just didn't behave like the Richelieu.  It handles decently, the heal works well, the turrets rotate ok, but I had mediocre results from it.  I was getting lots of overpens, little real damage so I switch to HE and did better (even though I detest using HE from a BB personally unless bow on) and had 1 ok game.  I think it will take more effort to get a really good game with it.  I was hoping for it to be a bit of a marauder like Graf Spee but it hasn't been so far.

Pete

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,544 posts
13,992 battles
21 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I got my Richelieu yesterday and took it our for 3 games last night; I can say for me she is a beast.  I rather like the ship and find it easier to play effectively than what you could with Dunkerque due to it being more durable and the gins seemed to be more consistent.  They games were around 70K range, one being a T10 game and it was lower but I still was one of the more productive people on the team.  I think she will get better the more one learns how it plays.  Good Boat.

P.S.  I also picked up the Gascogne and found it to be more difficult to get a good game.  The gun placement was ok, no real issue but getting shots to do any real damage was tough, they just didn't behave like the Richelieu.  It handles decently, the heal works well, the turrets rotate ok, but I had mediocre results from it.  I was getting lots of overpens, little real damage so I switch to HE and did better (even though I detest using HE from a BB personally unless bow on) and had 1 ok game.  I think it will take more effort to get a really good game with it.  I was hoping for it to be a bit of a marauder like Graf Spee but it hasn't been so far.

Pete

The guns are identical, but their turret placement makes them behave differently.  Richelieu applies 100% of her firepower easily, unless she has to kite.  Most especially in a pursuit / push scenario.  In a kiting scenario she is absolutely horrid, while a Gascogne can flee at a straight away or very sharp angle, and still present some firepower.  Richelieu has to show a lot of sides to fire off guns to the rear, especially both turrets.  But anything outside that kiting scenario, Richelieu's arrangement is better.

[JSC]
Members
1 post
2,397 battles

I built mine a hybrid stealth tank build and it tanks really well. I’ve survive torp strikes that would have sunk other t8’s. A salvo of ap shreds any dd, where other rounds from other bb’s would’ve missed and/or overpenetrated. Quick turret traverse makes it useful in a brawl. Quick turning and quick acceleration is useful as well. Fun boat to play. Secondaries are inconsistent, they hit hard and set fires when they hit but I didn’t build mine for that. Still good enough to cause worry to those getting close. It’s no tirptiz in the close up shredding one takes from its secondaries and the odd torp. But boy it’s mains will flatten dds and cruisers. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The guns are identical, but their turret placement makes them behave differently.  Richelieu applies 100% of her firepower easily, unless she has to kite.  Most especially in a pursuit / push scenario.  In a kiting scenario she is absolutely horrid, while a Gascogne can flee at a straight away or very sharp angle, and still present some firepower.  Richelieu has to show a lot of sides to fire off guns to the rear, especially both turrets.  But anything outside that kiting scenario, Richelieu's arrangement is better.

Haze, I think that because of its turret arrangement, the Richelieu isn't really a ship you want to take to the weak side of your team, just in case you get forced into a fighting stern chase, where you're the chasee.  Better to be on the strong side where you can use your all guns forward layout in a more offensive manner. 

I generally prefer BBs with an equal number of guns fore and aft (like the Bismarck, Tirpitz, and Montana) for being the chasee in a stern chase engagement, though some ships with an Iowa ABX layout can do fairly well too, if they have good side armor and friendly gun arcs on the forward turrets.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

Some things I've noticed between Dunkerque and Richelieu:

The Dunkerque is wielding some powerful high-tier HE shells at tier 6, and is one of her most useful assets

Conversely, the Dunkerque's AP shells have low damage and tremendous penetration.  This makes firing AP a clumsy way to deal damage.

The Richelieu on the other hand, has similar HE shells as the Dunkerque, which makes them barely worth bothering at tier 8.

Conversely, the Richelieu's AP shells have high damage and tremendous penetration, expect very easy 10k-20k salvos.

This has the overall effect of making the Richelieu a little weird, given her speed and configuration, she's more adept at facing DDs and cruisers, but her powerful AP shells suggest she should be fighting Battleships.  Also, the RIcheileu's got fragile turrets, so you'll be punished for even approaching medium range of an enemy Battleship, but the wonky dispersion means you wont be doing enough damage at long range.  She's got good secondary range, but it's those crudy 100mm guns that fire forward, that can't pen anything.  Sufficed to say, my attempts of figuring out a modus operandi for the ship has left me scratching my head.  I need more battles with her, but for the moment I think my Dunkerque experience might be working against me on this ship.

I wouldn't say she's a brawler, she over-extends and gets killed way too easy.  But then again, I tend to sail to top of the exp chart when I do that.  And there was this tier 10 BB+CV game where I was stock, and still sailed to the top of the chart by brawling.  I'm still trying to figure out this ship.

7Lvi9JR.jpg

GiLJM8A.jpg

Edited by Sventex

Members
1,503 posts
7,911 battles

Hey

I'm finding the Richelieu is a very good BB overall, tanks good, decent armor, able to flank ships quite easily with it's speed boost, the guns behave themselves, the AA is ok but then I don't have BFT or AFT on mine as it's only a 10pt.  It up-tiers decently enough and while it lacks punch of my Alabama, it still holds it's own.  I have an easier time making it work for me than the Gascogne which feels more like it should be T7 instead of T8.  I like both but prefer the Richelieu overall.

Pete

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

its a great area denial BB, and has good speed to change position.      I play it somewhat like i do with baltimore.  have DD in front in cap and find good position to cover large area while having cover .   guns are very accurate, and you are pretty tanky in the front.      I do run AA mod instead of dispersion mod.    it can be strong when it is top tiered.    and do ok when it isn't .     mostly its firepower is bit lacking compared to t9/t10.     

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, centarina said:

its a great area denial BB, and has good speed to change position.      I play it somewhat like i do with baltimore.  have DD in front in cap and find good position to cover large area while having cover .   guns are very accurate, and you are pretty tanky in the front.      I do run AA mod instead of dispersion mod.    it can be strong when it is top tiered.    and do ok when it isn't .     mostly its firepower is bit lacking compared to t9/t10.     

Well, the Richelieu and the Gascogne, for that matter, do have only 8 15" guns, which puts them on par with the Bismarck and Tirpitz in terms of main guns.  And is obviously less than the 9 16" guns on the NC and Bama or the 10 16" guns on the Amagi or Kii, or even the 9 15" guns on the Monarch, though overall from my experience with the 2 ships, the Richelieu's main guns seem more effective than the Monarch's main guns.  (I can't speak about the Roma, since I don't have her, and don't even remember what she has for main guns or their number.)