You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

High Tier Camping Snooze Fest

21 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,829 battles

So I keep reading and seeing this complaint about High tier mainly 9 and 10 camping and super passive play/Snooze Fest.

Ive played over 3000 battles at tier X and cannot recall more than 10 games in which i have seen this.

Yeah you get a couple of BB's hanging out in the back who choose not to push up.

So what... most of those players are highly effective at range and as far as I am concerned they can sit at the border if they want as long as they are effective.

Low tier play is like a demolition derby.... everyone kinda just fills up on f-c-k it all and recklessly goes out and charges each other until only 1 or 2 ships remain.

Sorry but high tier play is more strategy, planning, and execution not some low tier seal clubbing s**t fest.

Just because that means it takes awhile for things to happen,  does not justify calling it nothing but camping and a outright snooze fest.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

We must be playing separate games.  At least a third of my Tier X games involve the team completely failing to take a single cap.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 4

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

We must be playing separate games.  At least a third of my Tier X games involve the team completely failing to take a single cap.

This has been my experience as well.  Plenty of games where the game ends with a large number of ships still alive on both sides.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I tend to enjoy tier 10 just as much as other tiers.  It's often a different play style, but I wouldn't say worse.  To be honest, I see just as many border huggers in tiers 4-7 as I do in 8-10.

• Bad 1

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles

At least T10 "border huggers" can be effective.  Even if they're shooting at close to max range, that's better than some of the lower tier BBs not shooting because they are out of range altogether.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I also see the rhetoric and can't believe this has become the normal gripe about top tier play style.  In all my Tier 9-10 battles I don't see it. I see tactics not often used in the wham bam lower tiers but I see an awful lot of High scoring Players doing what they do best and doing it the right way. Using the maps and team make up effectively. Positioning, Protecting, Pushing when needed and holding capture points. The Top Tier Battles are more plan and move style. The run in and die factor is very rare {  Unless it a player not familiar with the Tier } Yes Tier 6 -8 is fun but once you make it to Tier 10 it becomes something Different, more purposeful movement, More effective range fighting more Shots actually landing, DD's that take the time to help out when and where needed. CA's doing the Hunter Gatherer effect, CV's that keep the enemy lit up. BB's that move their fat slow rumps to positions of support. Players who  don't get the Tier and the motivation behind it will always die first and whine about it.

• Cool 1

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles

All the tiers SUCK!  All of em. Every dang one. I have spoken. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,847 battles
38 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The last match last night the red team didn't even take a cap till 8 mins left in the game.  DM parked his rear behind an island, sat there the whole match shooting around corners.   We won fairly easy.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,794 battles

Cap contesting is often more a function of which ships MM gives you. If you have 2 Shimakaze and a Tashkent against 2 Gearings and a Fletcher, with the enemy team having a Moskva and Baltimore against your Zao and Roon - you are not going to dominate capture points unless you have a large skill advantage. It gets even worse with uneven numbers of DDs.

Battleships can not often push anywhere in tier 9 or 10 without screening from destroyers and/or radar cruisers - no amount of WASD can dodge torpedo volleys from multiple directions, especially with mobility constraints from armor facing requirements. Eventually, they will hit you, even if due to luck. In the meantime, the enemy knows exactly where you are and can just kite around for the whole game. 

You can get away with it at lower tiers where DDs have less firepower and the maps are smaller in general. However, at T10 this is simply no longer the case. 

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

high tier games takes longer to unfold(naturally because of larger map)

players used to low tier game pace thinks high tier is passive if they dont see action in the first 5 minutes of the game

[WDS]
Members
346 posts
6,885 battles

The play is more passive and deliberate in tier 10 . To much smoke and radar , but most of the players are really good  . At tier 10 they really understand positioning , map awareness , and team play . But it is kind of slow I'm not good enough to play up there they just destroy you when u make a mistake . I'm sticking to tiers 5 thru 7 for the most part now because I'm tired of getting beat up , maybe the Bismarck once and while.

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,210 battles

Standard battles have taught players to be passive and to stay on their side of the map, even when pushing and getting some angles on the enemy is the right thing to do. They need to rework the mode or put spawns in more interesting locations (sort of like hotspot) to encourage movement. 

The maps are also simply too large in a lot of cases. 

[Y0L0]
Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

In my T10 experience it is the presence of radar that "slows" the game down to other's perspective. DDs cannot just go in and cap, until the radar ships are located.

This does lead to the more aggressive team getting an early cap advantage, but can lead to early DD death toll. My Shimmy costs a quarter mil a battle to run, and I am not throwing it away to be "first" to cap. 

High-tier games have their own ebb and flow and can run down to the wire when played well.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
1 hour ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

So I keep reading and seeing this complaint about High tier mainly 9 and 10 camping and super passive play/Snooze Fest.

Ive played over 3000 battles at tier X and cannot recall more than 10 games in which i have seen this.

Yeah you get a couple of BB's hanging out in the back who choose not to push up.

So what... most of those players are highly effective at range and as far as I am concerned they can sit at the border if they want as long as they are effective.

Low tier play is like a demolition derby.... everyone kinda just fills up on f-c-k it all and recklessly goes out and charges each other until only 1 or 2 ships remain.

Sorry but high tier play is more strategy, planning, and execution not some low tier seal clubbing s**t fest.

Just because that means it takes awhile for things to happen,  does not justify calling it nothing but camping and a outright snooze fest.

You must not be playing World of Warships, because Tier IX and X are absolutely played that way. 90% of all BBs think they're snipers (even if playing a brawler that can't hit anything at max range), and half of all BBs spend more time backing up or driving away from fights than moving towards them. They expect every other ship type to move up and do all the work (and take all the damage) to "screen" for the BBs, then complain when those non-BBs get wiped out because all the BBs refused to push forward. 

Not sure what game you play, but it obviously isn't WoWS.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[WOLF2]
Members
863 posts
6,995 battles

After having a dismal week, I've been vacillating back and forth between passive and aggressive.    Try a few rounds of bow-camping.  I get hammered by Yammy, or surrounded and sunk due to focus fire.   I then try a few rounds of sailing with the group (or lemming).   We get stuck at a cap.   I then try a couple of rounds at full throttle.   I pick a cap, set to full speed and try to stay at mid-range.   See the reds flanking at the other cap, and our cap is green-heavy, so I turn around.    The greens covering the red flank die before I get in range, and the greens at the cap I just left start melting.   Salt in chat starts up, asking why I'm sitting at spawn.     

I don't normally div, so I don't have a couple of folks to coordinate that first movement.   Thus, it usually ends up in picking a direction, and hoping Neptune grants favor (and not running into the red fleet).   Sometimes, when the players start off in every direction, Neptune tells me to sit tight.   

As far as T10s not taking a cap, well, it depends.  If your three DDs YOLO in and are insta-deleted, it makes it a bit hard to push in.   Conversely, if we can grab and protect a cap, it's usually the reds that fail to grab one.   Some of that is a result of MM, and some of that is a result of skill level of DD.    Fast caps usually don't last long (unless the whole team is at the cap).

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

if you want to play aggressive, play DD   and play it well.  despite seeing multiple radars, I find that you can make the most difference in a DD in allowing you to win a match.      you may have derp match once in a while, but you will also have some great ones. 

[PVE]
Members
497 posts
4,086 battles

I don't know that it is a problem in high tier games.  I have been seeing too many Scharnhorsts and Bayerns trying to snipe from the edges of the map lately. 

I am starting to think that the ginormous maps are my issue with T9 and T10 matches. My last few T9 bouts have been better, its probably just that I am learning how much patience is required at higher tier matches.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I'm fine with CVs, fine with tier X. Some games are slower than others but many are a gunfight in a phone booth. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

I'm with op. I rarely see these games people whine about

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,814 battles
4 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Are you playing the same game?

The CO-OP bot use more strategy.

All I see is:

DDs spamming torps and hope they hit something.

Ships sitting around and hope there is one stupid guy that moves forward and uncovers targets so that they can shoot at something. Once the stupid guy has died in a hail of gunfire they hope for another stupid guy.