Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Strumpoo1

Help me enjoy playing CV a bit more

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1
[FTH]
Members
7 posts
10,286 battles

Playing CV is such a painful experience in this game.  I hate it sooo much that I love it.    I guess I am a sucker for punishment.  Help me to become better at it, if you will. 

 

I have been having some problems that I haven't experienced before and I don't know if there is something I can do to fix it?

 

#1 biggest problem is my fighters getting "stuck" .   I am engaged with enemy fighters when they pull the "magic" strafe out of the fight, while they get away, my planes get locked into place and just have to wait for the other enemy squadrons to strafe them out of the sky.   How do I stop this?   It is a complete crap mechanic, why can the enemy strafe out of the way, but I am stuck?   Is there a way to stop this from happening? 

This is a recent thing, I haven't noticed this getting "stuck" until the last 2 weeks or so.  I did have the old planes won't respond at all bug before, but this seems different.   

 

#2 is there a way to not feel like you need 5 hands to play a CV?   It is almost overwhelming at times trying to control all the damn squadrons?   I love playing the lower tier Cvs with only 4 squadrons to control but at tier 8, 9, and 10 it is ridiculous.  

Way too much crap going on, and way too many responsibilities (spotting, killing, using manual drops, strafing, fighter cover, etc) for one ship and one person to have to manage.  Is there a way to simplify the UI or something to make this actually manageable?  

Or do I need to recruit a team of sentient octopi to help me actually play this class? 

 

Any other tips would be helpful.   Again, I have fun playing the class, but more often than not, I leave a game saying, "why did I subject myself to that agony." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

1) that mechanic is intended, so that the exiting squadron isn't immediately reengaged. I've heard there's a bug that allows you to avoid that lock, but haven't bothered looking into whether there's any truth to that. You're better off just being the first one to strafe out.

2) if managing squadrons is too difficult, just move them in bulk until either a) striking the enemy or b) the enemy is moving in to attack you. Nothing is sweeter than taking out an entire strike package in a single strafe.

Edited by cometguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,794 battles
14 minutes ago, Strumpoo1 said:

Playing CV is such a painful experience in this game.  I hate it sooo much that I love it.    I guess I am a sucker for punishment.  Help me to become better at it, if you will. 

 

I have been having some problems that I haven't experienced before and I don't know if there is something I can do to fix it?

 

#1 biggest problem is my fighters getting "stuck" .   I am engaged with enemy fighters when they pull the "magic" strafe out of the fight, while they get away, my planes get locked into place and just have to wait for the other enemy squadrons to strafe them out of the sky.   How do I stop this?   It is a complete crap mechanic, why can the enemy strafe out of the way, but I am stuck?   Is there a way to stop this from happening? 

This is a recent thing, I haven't noticed this getting "stuck" until the last 2 weeks or so.  I did have the old planes won't respond at all bug before, but this seems different.   

 

#2 is there a way to not feel like you need 5 hands to play a CV?   It is almost overwhelming at times trying to control all the damn squadrons?   I love playing the lower tier Cvs with only 4 squadrons to control but at tier 8, 9, and 10 it is ridiculous.  

Way too much crap going on, and way too many responsibilities (spotting, killing, using manual drops, strafing, fighter cover, etc) for one ship and one person to have to manage.  Is there a way to simplify the UI or something to make this actually manageable?  

Or do I need to recruit a team of sentient octopi to help me actually play this class? 

 

Any other tips would be helpful.   Again, I have fun playing the class, but more often than not, I leave a game saying, "why did I subject myself to that agony." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The CV's, SEEM to have their own comms. go there as most personnel, even in forums, hate CV's. Likely U will get a bad answer here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

Step 1: select offending CV.

Step 2: sell offending CV.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all CVs are removed. Congratulations, you are now enjoying the carrier game more.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[FTH]
Members
7 posts
10,286 battles

While this is the humorous answer to the question.  I was looking for a Cv player to maybe help me with why these things are happening.  LOL. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
4 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

The CV's, SEEM to have their own comms. go there as most personnel, even in forums, hate CV's. Likely U will get a bad answer here.

Yes and no, there's lots of CV comms on discord, but no dedicated one.

Most CV players lurk in the CV section of the forums, or in a couple threads of general discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[FTH]
Members
7 posts
10,286 battles
17 minutes ago, cometguy said:

1) that mechanic is intended, so that the exiting squadron isn't immediately reengaged. I've heard there's a bug that allows you to avoid that lock, but haven't bothered looking into whether there's any truth to that. You're better off just being the first one to strafe out.

2) if managing squadrons is too difficult, just move them in bulk until either a) striking the enemy or b) the enemy is moving in to attack you. Nothing is sweeter than taking out an entire strike package in a single strafe.

Comet - 

 

do you know of an easier way to group the squadrons.  I have found the "shift" button method works but is tiresome way to group planes and is hard to set up accurate damage runs with.  Any other ways to group planes but that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
28 minutes ago, Strumpoo1 said:

Playing CV is such a painful experience in this game.  I hate it sooo much that I love it.    I guess I am a sucker for punishment.  Help me to become better at it, if you will. 

 

I have been having some problems that I haven't experienced before and I don't know if there is something I can do to fix it?

 

#1 biggest problem is my fighters getting "stuck" .   I am engaged with enemy fighters when they pull the "magic" strafe out of the fight, while they get away, my planes get locked into place and just have to wait for the other enemy squadrons to strafe them out of the sky.   How do I stop this?   It is a complete crap mechanic, why can the enemy strafe out of the way, but I am stuck?   Is there a way to stop this from happening? 

This is a recent thing, I haven't noticed this getting "stuck" until the last 2 weeks or so.  I did have the old planes won't respond at all bug before, but this seems different.   

 

#2 is there a way to not feel like you need 5 hands to play a CV?   It is almost overwhelming at times trying to control all the damn squadrons?   I love playing the lower tier Cvs with only 4 squadrons to control but at tier 8, 9, and 10 it is ridiculous.  

Way too much crap going on, and way too many responsibilities (spotting, killing, using manual drops, strafing, fighter cover, etc) for one ship and one person to have to manage.  Is there a way to simplify the UI or something to make this actually manageable?  

Or do I need to recruit a team of sentient octopi to help me actually play this class? 

 

Any other tips would be helpful.   Again, I have fun playing the class, but more often than not, I leave a game saying, "why did I subject myself to that agony." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Practice, practice, and practice. CVs are way to much to get good at in less then 500 games. Most people who hate on CV players have no idea how hard it is, it's actually ridiculous. To get out of the fighter lock just tell the fighters to move after the enemy exit strafes. Or, strafe his exiting squad, this requires a lot of attention. 

Yes, sentient octopi are necessary, or you select groups of squads, (left click drag with alt mouse controls) this will ease micro a lot. Use the mipmap to micro movement, then go to a squad when you need to carry out an attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Strumpoo1 said:

Comet - 

 

do you know of an easier way to group the squadrons.  I have found the "shift" button method works but is tiresome way to group planes and is hard to set up accurate damage runs with.  Any other ways to group planes but that?  

Not that I'm aware of, so getting things into position and back home is usually done with waypoints, so that I can reduce clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,432 posts
12,163 battles
28 minutes ago, Strumpoo1 said:

Playing CV is such a painful experience in this game.  I hate it sooo much that I love it.    I guess I am a sucker for punishment.  Help me to become better at it, if you will. 

 

I have been having some problems that I haven't experienced before and I don't know if there is something I can do to fix it?

 

#1 biggest problem is my fighters getting "stuck" .   I am engaged with enemy fighters when they pull the "magic" strafe out of the fight, while they get away, my planes get locked into place and just have to wait for the other enemy squadrons to strafe them out of the sky.   How do I stop this?   It is a complete crap mechanic, why can the enemy strafe out of the way, but I am stuck?   Is there a way to stop this from happening? 

This is a recent thing, I haven't noticed this getting "stuck" until the last 2 weeks or so.  I did have the old planes won't respond at all bug before, but this seems different.   

 

#2 is there a way to not feel like you need 5 hands to play a CV?   It is almost overwhelming at times trying to control all the damn squadrons?   I love playing the lower tier Cvs with only 4 squadrons to control but at tier 8, 9, and 10 it is ridiculous.  

Way too much crap going on, and way too many responsibilities (spotting, killing, using manual drops, strafing, fighter cover, etc) for one ship and one person to have to manage.  Is there a way to simplify the UI or something to make this actually manageable?  

Or do I need to recruit a team of sentient octopi to help me actually play this class? 

 

Any other tips would be helpful.   Again, I have fun playing the class, but more often than not, I leave a game saying, "why did I subject myself to that agony." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am in your exact situation. I believe people that really excel at CV's are very good typists....I still have to look at my keyboard and then click keys.....the really good players do this as easily as most of us breathe. I made a thread yesterday on this and I am simply playing in co op right now ignoring everything except one task at a time, be it strafing or dropping or what ever, trying to it all in real games can be overwhelming, and the simply mistakes gets all your planes shot down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,794 battles
3 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Yes and no, there's lots of CV comms on discord, but no dedicated one.

Most CV players lurk in the CV section of the forums, or in a couple threads of general discussion.

I am one of those horrible people that think CV's are great. I cannot play them as my hamster has a malfunction. CV's add, open to correction here, a 'Third Dimension' to play that requires personnel to get outta tunnel vision. Which means stats, stats, stats ad infinatum.,

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
3 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I am in your exact situation. I believe people that really excel at CV's are very good typists....I still have to look at my keyboard and then click keys.....the really good players do this as easily as most of us breathe. I made a thread yesterday on this and I am simply playing in co op right now ignoring everything except one task at a time, be it strafing or dropping or what ever, trying to it all in real games can be overwhelming, and the simply mistakes gets all your planes shot down.

Wrong, actually I suck at typing, what I do is left click drag. It selects all of the squads in the box you make. That is if you have the alt control interface enabled in your settings, otherwise it's right click drag.

Edited by megadeux
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
5 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

I am one of those horrible people that think CV's are great. I cannot play them as my hamster has a malfunction. CV's add, open to correction here, a 'Third Dimension' to play that requires personnel to get outta tunnel vision. Which means stats, stats, stats ad infinatum.,

 

How dare you! Don't you know that all CV players are "elitists who abuse broken game mechanics" and "who destroy gameplay and ruin the game experience"?

:Smile-_tongue:

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles
4 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Wrong, actually I suck at typing, what I do is left click drag. It selects all of the squads in the box you make. That is if you have the alt control interface enabled in your settings, otherwise it's right click drag.

is that all that the alternate CV controls add?  a change of which mouse button to select your units?  I tried it back on the PT server before it came out, but I've always stuck with the original method.  

Related to the CV control question, I find that there are times when I accidentally (when clicking for unit control) select my carrier and send it moving along somewhere.  It is very frustrating at times.  I'm sure it's user error, but I select units via the number keys and use shift-select for multiple.  When too many things are going on, that's when I have the aforementioned issue.  It's definitely a lot of work - and I primarily play low tier CVs.  I tried high tier on the PTS and there are just way too many units to control.

b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[STW-A]
Members
158 posts

I'm a CV main, and I understand the OPs problems.

(1) Your squadrons are 'stunned' for a couple seconds after the first squadron has left the strafe, and will be a sitting duck for the second red strafing squadron.  Key point: your squadron is stunned AFTER the first red has left.  As the first red is leaving, you can still manuever your fighter squadron in any direction, or even strafe.  (Not much time for a response though...)  --OR-- you can strafe out first toward the second red squadron.  [Practice this with a cv friend in the Training Room]

(2) You don't need 5 hands to control CVs, but it helps if you have more fingers on your hand...  I'd suggest keeping your hand (whether left or right) on the same place on the keyboard for all CVs, and just learn the various hand motions that control certain squadrons (like 1 hand typing)  --OR-- just play USN cvs.

(3) As far as "way too much crap going on", welcome to the realm of CVs !  You have to learn to prioritize all the different things you can do, and just do the ones most important to winning the game.  (i.e. the green BB defending the B cap is more important to defend than the green BB going on the A-1 cruise alone.)  Every player thinks their own ship is the most important, but winning the round is more important than that.  What can you do to make victory more likely for your team?

Caveat: Not all players will agree with your priorities, and sometimes players can get quite abusive in chat.  Play to win, as it will be impossible to make all your green teammates happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,794 battles
3 minutes ago, megadeux said:

How dare you! Don't you know that all CV players are "elitists who abuse broken game mechanics" and "who destroy gameplay and ruin the game experience"?

:Smile-_tongue:

 

NOW you tell me! I will FORCE myself to indulge in self (liquid) flagellation with some Scottish Mineral Water in penitence in one zero minutes time!

OOh WOE is me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
9 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

is that all that the alternate CV controls add?  a change of which mouse button to select your units?  I tried it back on the PT server before it came out, but I've always stuck with the original method.  

Related to the CV control question, I find that there are times when I accidentally (when clicking for unit control) select my carrier and send it moving along somewhere.  It is very frustrating at times.  I'm sure it's user error, but I select units via the number keys and use shift-select for multiple.  When too many things are going on, that's when I have the aforementioned issue.  It's definitely a lot of work - and I primarily play low tier CVs.  I tried high tier on the PTS and there are just way too many units to control.

b

Umm, if I remember correctly, the alt mouse controls switch up the controls a lot. It's been a while since I switched. With alt mouse right click makes planes do things (i.e right clicking a ship causes an auto drop) and left click does unit selection, mipmap pinging, and Intel stuff. (Left clicking a squad selects it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[FTH]
Members
7 posts
10,286 battles
21 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Wrong, actually I suck at typing, what I do is left click drag. It selects all of the squads in the box you make. That is if you have the alt control interface enabled in your settings, otherwise it's right click drag.

Wow, I didn't know you could do this, have tried every keyboard combo I could think of trying to get this "feature" to work.  LOL thanks!   Would be nice if there was an official instruction manual for ship classes.  lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,725 posts
4,327 battles

If there's anything US carrier is good at...it's much easier to control than the Japanese and their numerous squads. Seriously, play US carriers if you feel overwhelmed by the number of squads.

Don't feel as if you have to use manual drop all the time...especially for dive bombers. Also learn to read the minimap and give commands through it, remember that double-hitting a squad number jumps your view to it. Although you just have to accept that the carrier's workload is a thing...you have the bird-eye view of the entire battlefield, after all...

You can give another command to "wake" your fighters up from an exit strafe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles
33 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Umm, if I remember correctly, the alt mouse controls switch up the controls a lot. It's been a while since I switched. With alt mouse right click makes planes do things (i.e right clicking a ship causes an auto drop) and left click does unit selection, mipmap pinging, and Intel stuff. (Left clicking a squad selects it.)

10-4, thanks sir.  I may try it out sometime this weekend... 

b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
3 minutes ago, drghost69 said:

Very interesting topic.  I too want to become better in CV and get used to all them squads :)

 

Best advice I can give is to group up all your TBs and DBs, and move them in groups, control fighters by individual squads, and break up your bomber groups only when necessary. This severely cuts down on the amount of micro necessary.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[FADES]
Members
145 posts
3,633 battles

One tip I find helpful is if you "double-tap" the squad number on the keyboard, it moves the map/view to that squadron.   For example your commander says "Squadron 2 is under attack" (and your trying to drop torps with squad 3 and 4 or something, somewhere else on the map) you can quickly double-tap the Squadron 2 keyboard key and it will bring you to them, which I like because I can't remember where they all are!  You can also single Right-Click somewhere on the map to instantly move to that location.

Also, know your CV's strengths and weakness. So far I have only been playing Japanese CV's and their fighters are very weak vs. USA planes, I have built them up a bit with Commander skills and equipment, but they still get shredded, so I try to pick my battles so to speak with enemy fighter groups and get in and out of areas quickly with my bombers and fighters.  I will try and draw a more powerful enemy fighter squad near an ally Battleship or Cruiser to help out with the fight when I can.  I will also try and intercept enemy bombers with my fighters to protect my team, etc...

Hope these help, I would say stick with the Tier 4 and 5's - try both the USA and Japanese carriers and see what you like.

Good luck.

 

Edited by digitaljustice
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NASTY]
Beta Testers
280 posts
7,646 battles
1 hour ago, megadeux said:

Best advice I can give is to group up all your TBs and DBs, and move them in groups, control fighters by individual squads, and break up your bomber groups only when necessary. This severely cuts down on the amount of micro necessary.

Thank you, will try that and get it to feel more comfortable with that instead of spreading everywhere :)

too bad bots dont move in training.. was planing to do a lot of drops and practice there. but with dead bots, not really useful

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
50 posts
4,161 battles

I personally use a kind of "rotation" to control everything, 1st my own ship and way point, 2nd Tb take of and way point set, 3rd fighter take of and..., 4th Shift + 4,5 and click on a friendly ship to circle over them and be grouped while I drop with Tb, and/or looking around...and than repeat (I playing USN cv only don't like the fragile IJN planes) btw I think IJN group the Tbs as well and cross dropp or simply drop w both squadron at once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×