Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VaygrEmpire

cv rework ideas

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
80 posts
3,410 battles

1. get rid of normal control mode when you play as cv. Sure, it does help when you are dodging enemy dd's torps, but how many times do you end up being hunted by dd at close range?

2. keep current squad # (1 is cv, rest are planes)

3. unlimited number of planes

4. nerf plane damage (at least 50%)

5. fuel system for planes - if planes are hovering around for way too long (i.e. trying to get right angle to attack enemy ship) and they are out of certain distance from cv, they may crash into the sea due to fuel issues. If player loses planes due to this (this condition should always be triggered as long as current distance from planes to player cv is bigger than "within fuel range" distance), reload takes twice as much compared to losing planes due to enemy attack (this "fuel range distance" should be checked first before calculating enemy damage - preferably every frame. As soon as attack planes' distance is bigger than "fuel range limit," boolean value would be true. If less, false.) player should be informed that he lost planes due to fuel limit and notify him reload will take twice as longer than usual. 

6. go full RTS mode with cv. Right click / M to move, A to force attack, G to guard, P to patrol, etc etc. 

7. customized plane modules - let player decides how many certain types of planes he wants to carry. Set cost (spotter plane - 1 point, fighters - 2 points, torpedo bombers - 4 points, dive bombers - 3 points, etc), and cost limit (10, 15, w/e). 

8. yes, do let cv carry spotter plane as well. 

 

 

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,208 posts
4,051 battles
40 minutes ago, VaygrEmpire said:

1. get rid of normal control mode when you play as cv. Sure, it does help when you are dodging enemy dd's torps, but how many times do you end up being hunted by dd at close range?

2. keep current squad # (1 is cv, rest are planes)

3. unlimited number of planes

4. nerf plane damage (at least 50%)

5. fuel system for planes - if planes are hovering around for way too long (i.e. trying to get right angle to attack enemy ship) and they are out of certain distance from cv, they may crash into the sea due to fuel issues. If player loses planes due to this (this condition should always be triggered as long as current distance from planes to player cv is bigger than "within fuel range" distance), reload takes twice as much compared to losing planes due to enemy attack (this "fuel range distance" should be checked first before calculating enemy damage - preferably every frame. As soon as attack planes' distance is bigger than "fuel range limit," boolean value would be true. If less, false.) player should be informed that he lost planes due to fuel limit and notify him reload will take twice as longer than usual. 

6. go full RTS mode with cv. Right click / M to move, A to force attack, G to guard, P to patrol, etc etc. 

7. customized plane modules - let player decides how many certain types of planes he wants to carry. Set cost (spotter plane - 1 point, fighters - 2 points, torpedo bombers - 4 points, dive bombers - 3 points, etc), and cost limit (10, 15, w/e). 

8. yes, do let cv carry spotter plane as well. 

 

 

Short answer no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
338
[5D]
Members
1,203 posts
7,091 battles

And watch as everyone that's worked really hard to get good at CV instantly bail on CV.

 

Sorry bud, but this idea is merely another gut CV idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
417
[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,800 battles
2 hours ago, VaygrEmpire said:

5. fuel system for planes - if planes are hovering around for way too long (i.e. trying to get right angle to attack enemy ship) and they are out of certain distance from cv, they may crash into the sea due to fuel issues.

This actually does have some merit from a gameplay standpoint--I mean, catapult aircraft can only remain in the air for a limited amount of time, so why wouldn't the same be true of carrier-based aircraft?  I'm not sure about having them crash into the sea, though...maybe just have them automatically return to the carrier once they reach "bingo" fuel.  The downside is that this would add yet another thing for carrier players to keep constant track of.

Additional plus side would be adding even more impetus toward keeping your carrier fairly close to the fight, rather than parking in a distant corner of the map for the entire game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
201
[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles

Not to undermine your post, but I don't wish to repost everything I've or others have said.

Unlimited planes is not a good idea. All reward and no risks, without increasing AA levels (which comes back to the planes being pointless if they can't drop ordnance.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
8,034 battles
8 hours ago, VaygrEmpire said:

1. get rid of normal control mode when you play as cv. Sure, it does help when you are dodging enemy dd's torps, but how many times do you end up being hunted by dd at close range?

not necessary since you can do this already.

2. keep current squad # (1 is cv, rest are planes)

ok, limiting number of squadrons further but I don't have an alternative.

3. unlimited number of planes

perhaps, but immersion breaking,  dds and other ships get unlimited torps so why not?

4. nerf plane damage (at least 50%)

ship launched torpedoes don't deal 50% less damage so why? Bad idea.

5. fuel system for planes - if planes are hovering around for way too long (i.e. trying to get right angle to attack enemy ship) and they are out of certain distance from cv, they may crash into the sea due to fuel issues. If player loses planes due to this (this condition should always be triggered as long as current distance from planes to player cv is bigger than "within fuel range" distance), reload takes twice as much compared to losing planes due to enemy attack (this "fuel range distance" should be checked first before calculating enemy damage - preferably every frame. As soon as attack planes' distance is bigger than "fuel range limit," boolean value would be true. If less, false.) player should be informed that he lost planes due to fuel limit and notify him reload will take twice as longer than usual. 

this proposition is solid. The reason CVs have been kept out of CWs is due to unlimited range. Perhaps even get rid of the mirror mm on top of it.

6. go full RTS mode with cv. Right click / M to move, A to force attack, G to guard, P to patrol, etc etc. 

M is mapped to the Map but otherwise offensive abilities for the ships themselves are over due. Perhaps (#1) key could be mapped to secondaries.

7. customized plane modules - let player decides how many certain types of planes he wants to carry. Set cost (spotter plane - 1 point, fighters - 2 points, torpedo bombers - 4 points, dive bombers - 3 points, etc), and cost limit (10, 15, w/e). 

this has been brought up before: it causes balance issues. A good idea would've to give all CVs an alert 5 option(catapult fighters) if they do not have DFAA available; or as an option if dfaa is available. Alert 5 would able to attack nearby ships as well as aircraft.

8. yes, do let cv carry spotter plane as well. 

This point is contradictory if you are going with unlimited aircraft. spotter planes are for ships with main batteries. And while manual main armament should be available to carriers, making such an emphasis defeats the purpose of using aircraft for damage; as you would prob loose track of your squadrons and their dwindling fuel supply.

A better idea would he to implement an altitude system. The higher the aircraft flies the less damage from certain AA the squadron should take. At the expense of being slower and less accurate on the drop. In addition, fighter/fighter bomber aircraft at higher altitude should receive an additional attack/first kill bonus from attacking from higher altitude.

 Piston aircraft would loose speed and endurance at higher altitude but for jets, flying high would extend it but increase turning radius.

IMO this would open up options for aircraft balancing. Since brute power or numbers would no longer be the only advantage available. Altitude, loiter time and speed would make it possible to bring back jets without being overpowered against ships and other aircraft; returning load put options to Carriers.

 

Replies in bold, some very good ideas. Others not so good but a proper step in balancing as apposed to the current ijn/usn (whos bigger) debacle we have today. 

Edited by Crokodone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
8,034 battles
5 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Not to undermine your post, but I don't wish to repost everything I've or others have said.

Unlimited planes is not a good idea. All reward and no risks, without increasing AA levels (which comes back to the planes being pointless if they can't drop ordnance.)

 

The same could be said about ship launched torpedoes; Something has to give. Currently unlimited range is hurting the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

These sound like ideas to make CVs different with no regard for balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
201
[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

The same could be said about ship launched torpedoes; Something has to give. Currently unlimited range is hurting the game.

Ship launched torpedoes don't have unlimited range thou. They also have I believe a sub-10% hit rate (server stat wise) along with a substantial reload. They also have detection ranges, that in some cases, 2.7km out. So no... the same argument can't be said and isn't based in reality. IMHO, torpedoes need to be buffed to overcome the stationary bow-tank meta that is t8-10.

 

Bonus fact, most t8-10 battleships have between a 25-55% torpedo damage reduction, further reducing their effectiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

The same could be said about ship launched torpedoes; Something has to give. Currently unlimited range is hurting the game.

The problem with limiting range is that every other ship type is fire and forget. But with CVs, you're far more involved from beginning to end. So to nerf CV range to anything where that nerf is meaningful in any way is also to nerf CVs to a worthless state.

People already complain that there's too high of a skill ceiling for CVs. Why raise that ceiling even more?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
338
[5D]
Members
1,203 posts
7,091 battles
21 minutes ago, cometguy said:

The problem with limiting range is that every other ship type is fire and forget. But with CVs, you're far more involved from beginning to end. So to nerf CV range to anything where that nerf is meaningful in any way is also to nerf CVs to a worthless state.

People already complain that there's too high of a skill ceiling for CVs. Why raise that ceiling even more?

 

Bruh...

 

Stop making too much sense...

 

Your brain is too big... you're making people have to use theirs...

 

You'll cause brain growth headaches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
8,034 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

The problem with limiting range is that every other ship type is fire and forget. But with CVs, you're far more involved from beginning to end. So to nerf CV range to anything where that nerf is meaningful in any way is also to nerf CVs to a worthless state.

People already complain that there's too high of a skill ceiling for CVs. Why raise that ceiling even more?

The problem isn't raising the ceiling its actually lowering it by finishing the house first.

Let's face it, carrier development ceased after beta and WG has been balancing the two in the same fashion they balanced Montana against Yamato; it isn't working why?

Its not working because there is not enough variables to balance the system by. Carriers are either outright over powered or outright garbage. Implementation of altitude, and range can balance that factor overnight.

Ships with impassable AA become passable with the aid of high altitude flight. Over powered fighters take a dps reduction if they climb to attack an apposing squadron; or said fighter group can lower them to low altitude where the enemy takes bonus damage from AA or force the enemy fighter to pursue until they run out of fuel.

Its not a nerf, its a buff. A buff in what you can do and a nerf in what you cannot do without drastic changes to the aircraft themselves.

Perhaps a fuel/altitude system is a chance to bring back jets back as a high speed high altitude short range option over a low speed long range medium to low altitude piston plane option.

Edited by Crokodone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×