Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Infiniti - variable compression engine

14 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

Interesting. I thought maybe the engine would wear faster as it's more complex but there actually may be less wear, as explained in the video.

Edited by Snargfargle

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I'm sure they beat the ding-dongs out of it in pre-production testing. They would also then need to pull a number of random engines from the production line, repeat the abusive process... I would think it being "Infiniti" they'd do that a good deal before releasing it to market. It is, from what I can tell, a near final effort to squeeze more life out of traditional fuel lines before everything slides into electric self-driving land forever. 

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
6 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm sure they beat the ding-dongs out of it in pre-production testing. They would also then need to pull a number of random engines from the production line, repeat the abusive process... I would think it being "Infiniti" they'd do that a good deal before releasing it to market. It is, from what I can tell, a near final effort to squeeze more life out of traditional fuel lines before everything slides into electric self-driving land forever. 

Piston engines are going to be around for a long time. Even if oil reserves become economically depleted, the US and Russia had at least a half-millenium worth of coal reserves. Even our best battery technology holds only a small fraction of the power per kilogram found in fossil fuels. Coal can be readily converted to liquid fuel.

What's going to happen is that electrical powered and hybrid vehicles will become slowly more common until in a couple centuries they may predominate. People talk as if electrical power for vehicles is new. It's not. There have been electrical vehicles since the car was first invented. Hybrid diesel-electric trains and ships have been in use for close to a hundred years now.

What hasn't been around is the precision high-economy and high horsepower gasoline engines we have today. The engine in my last really small pickup had three times the horsepower and was twice as fuel efficient as the same-displacement engine found in WWII Jeeps. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,529 posts
3,526 battles
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Piston engines are going to be around for a long time. Even if oil reserves become economically depleted, the US and Russia had at least a half-millenium worth of coal reserves. Even our best battery technology holds only a small fraction of the power per kilogram found in fossil fuels. Coal can be readily converted to liquid fuel.

What's going to happen is that electrical powered and hybrid vehicles will become slowly more common until in a couple centuries they may predominate. People talk as if electrical power for vehicles is new. It's not. There have been electrical vehicles since the car was first invented. Hybrid diesel-electric trains and ships have been in use for close to a hundred years now.

What hasn't been around is the precision high-economy and high horsepower gasoline engines we have today. The engine in my last really small pickup had three times the horsepower and was twice as fuel efficient as the same-displacement engine found in WWII Jeeps. 

Not to mention the quality of algae based gas (alternate gas in general) has been improving greatly over the last 2 decades and had the potential to be cheaper and safer. With Hydrogen also becoming more available also means piston powered vehicles are likely to be around for a while longer. This is important because you can fuel up in a minute or 2 with gas, electric is still way too far off from charging anywhere near that speed

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
11 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

This is important because you can fuel up in a minute or 2 with gas, electric is still way too far off from charging anywhere near that speed

For totally electric vehicles to be viable nationwide there needs to be an easily-replaceable standard battery pack that everyone must use. A station could then have a hundred or so battery packs on hand charging and replace those in the cars coming for power in a few minutes. I've studied this stuff a bit; I used to teach an environmental science course in college.  

Members
2,412 posts
2,213 battles

Interesting that it's going to be released first in the QX50. I figured it would first be seen in a smaller car but i'm not complaining. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,529 posts
3,526 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

For totally electric vehicles to be viable nationwide there needs to be an easily-replaceable standard battery pack that everyone must use. A station could then have a hundred or so battery packs on hand charging and replace those in the cars coming for power in a few minutes. I've studied this stuff a bit; I used to teach an environmental science course in college.  

Problem is who will replace it? I've read about these studies and it ranged from people moving the battery packs to vehicles to moving the vehicle onto automated battery pack changer. 

Obviously wear and tear on battery connection points would be bad, batteries are heavy and the general public is lazy (shoot look at the debacle Ohio is going through with changing to self serve gas). Automated system would obviously be the choice but sounds complicated and complication leads to more problems.

Currently I think the current development of adding charging stations mixed increasing battery life is the key but electric vehicles being the only future choice is a bad idea. Heck I read a study about a steam vehicle utilizing flash steam instead of the classic boiler style that's suppose to make it much more efficient

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
4 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Problem is who will replace it?

With the current state of robotics it would be easy to design an automatic battery pack replacement system, where someone just drove up to a spot, inserted their credit card, and then had their battery pack robotically replaced. The big problem would be for Congress to mandate standardization. Companies hate standardization because they always want to sell their own proprietary parts at a higher price. Ironically, they actually sell more when their systems are standardized and easily upgradable.  

1,542 posts
26 battles

It's really beautiful. It's kinda relaxing to watch. This is an interesting idea. Will it make a big difference to fuel economy and pollution? (You really have to think about the parts too, if the transportation of the parts to make the engine and the car are causing emissions, will the engine reduce emissions enough to make it worth their while?) 

Will be something worth keeping an eye on

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

Fascinating.  I believe that this has been tried before in some Formula I programs.  Efficient input charging practically demands it.

The most interesting thing for me is that it makes the engines intrinsically balanced.

I also notice that weight is not mentioned.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Well we at least got an American car in space first eh? 

d09b44dadd5b4282a670941bfa16e9a4.jpg

I see some future eBay auction "The Ultimate Collectibe - Tesla's Falcon X Heavy Tesla Roadster!" when someone in the future retrieves it from the depths of space.

As to economy... I suppose it matters with compression ratios, timing for ignition. valves... everything. IF and that's a big IF - if everything in an engine could be adjusted along with the Infiniti example above, you'd pretty much have about the best engine you could develop. 

As to weight - I suspect the "device" doesn't add much at all. It would need to be very strong though that does not translate into heavy these days. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I find this very interesting... the opening act I must warn you - put any drink you may have firmly on your desk or the floor before you press play. Now that I think about it... I must have felt like that on my first few missions... 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

As to weight - I suspect the "device" doesn't add much at all. It would need to be very strong though that does not translate into heavy these days. 

I dunno.  It adds what is essentially a 2nd crank and set of connecting rods, plus the weight of the connecting link on the "main" crank.  Plus the extra weight of the extended block.

And the mass of the "link" might seriously limit the max RPMs.  Lots to consider.

That jet car is just plain insane.  Not even going there.

Sign in to follow this