You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Unholy_Stench

Player Stats - How important are they?

103 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles

I am a WOT refugee and haven't played in over a year.  I was deeply engaged and played clan wars, daily, etc.  My WOT stats were borderline average mostly because for the first X thousand games I didn't know about stats and just played.  IMO the stats part of the XVM MOD more encouraged played to stat shame, and interfere, rather than play the game.  But I always started every game looking at my teammates - guilty as charged.

That said, how important are stats here in WOWS?  I know there are a couple of websites that will show player stats, with slightly different scales.  Do people look?  Do players just look at their own stats as a progress check?  Are clans checking stats before accepting players?  I'm not looking for a clan BTW, thanks.

I am really just curious.  Yes, I have been to the WOWS stat sites and know I have some work to do.  But the DIFFERENCE with this game is I can play and have FUN.  Sure I like to win and I like to do well.  I think tracking my personal stats keeps me on track.  I would  hate to see an XVM/Stats mod become part of this game.  Of course I know it's as easy as not using it.  What are your thoughts?

Sailor Cat 002.jpg

Edited by Scratched
Fixed title

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles

as far as i know, due to the difference in game mechanisms, stat checking programs for wows wont do what XVM did to WOT

for me, i use my stats to look at my own progress, and to get a (more or less) objective measure of how well i did in game

at least more objective than how i think i did

i also use MMM, and base how aggressive i play on how good my enemy's stats appear to be

i dont see this being detrimental to the game.......if anything, it just make people with bad stats easier to take advantage of me when i am not paying much attention to them

as for clans, many clans only check for win rate(like a 50% requirement or something like that), only very competitive clans require other stats

if you are just looking for a group of people to play with, 9 times out of 10 you wont have to worry about your stats

most people form clans to have fun together

Edited by jason199506

Members
1,819 posts
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Stats have only the Value You Assign to them.

Stats have the value others assign to them, and then the value you assign to other peoples opinions. Which can be really hard on lower stat players. 

Members
1,819 posts
1 minute ago, jason199506 said:

e

i also use MMM, and base how aggressive i play on how good my enemy's stats appear to be

i dont see this being detrimental to the game.......if anything, it just make people with bad stats easier to take advantage of me when i am not paying much attention to them

SO its detrimental to the game if you actually want to keep the lower stat people playing? 

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles
1 minute ago, Kconvey_1 said:

SO its detrimental to the game if you actually want to keep the lower stat people playing? 

um....what?

can you reword/rephrase your question?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles

There are those who use similar programs (MM Monitor for one).

For those who take WOWS as a serious sport, yes, your numbers are important.  They want to keep their numbers good and will act accordingly with team skill level.

But if you just want to kick around and have fun..   Then do so.  PLEASE do so.

There are also some interesting operations where stats are not available.  There Is also no Teamkilling, Friendly Fire, or Detonations either.  It's pretty fun stuff too.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,650 posts
7,540 battles

Its completely subjective based on the person, the situation, and interpretation.

To say that they have no value wouldnt be right, because players can put themselves in situations where people are looking for skilled players. Like getting on Supremacy League teams or if a clan is trying to get wins in Typhoon for the flag. But if you are not participating in a competitive event you wont see much discussion about stats.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

Stats have the value others assign to them, and then the value you assign to other peoples opinions. Which can be really hard on lower stat players. 

The Value of I don't give a flying squirrels roasted Rump for stats is pretty much my Value I Assign them Any other Value is mute.  

• Cool 1

Members
1,819 posts
2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

um....what?

can you reword/rephrase your question?

If you use it to take advantage of lower stat players, its likely their stats are going to fall more. Now what incentive are these people going to have to keep playing, especially if their earnings per match drop.

So it does no harm as long as you dont consider chasing the weakest players out of the game harm.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles
Just now, Kconvey_1 said:

If you use it to take advantage of lower stat players, its likely their stats are going to fall more. Now what incentive are these people going to have to keep playing, especially if their earnings per match drop.

So it does no harm as long as you dont consider chasing the weakest players out of the game harm.

no, go back and read my original statement again

i said i pay less attention to players with low stats

it makes it easier for them to take advantage of me

i will check if a unicum player's guns are aiming at me every 5 second or so, while the frequency to check for low stat players' guns might be once every 2 minutes

[WOLF9]
Members
1,013 posts
9 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Stats have only the Value You Assign to them.

And the thing to remember is the opinion of strangers on the internet is worth less than a truck load of dead rats in a tampon factory. Play the game and remember what is best in WoWs: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their non-existent women.

Members
1,819 posts
7 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

There are those who use similar programs (MM Monitor for one).

For those who take WOWS as a serious sport, yes, your numbers are important.  They want to keep their numbers good and will act accordingly with team skill level.

But if you just want to kick around and have fun..   Then do so.  PLEASE do so.

There are also some interesting operations where stats are not available.  There Is also no Teamkilling, Friendly Fire, or Detonations either.  It's pretty fun stuff too.

Just remember because of the way stats work if you ignore them for too long they will hit the point where they arent recoverable.  If you lose 60% of your games at 100 games, not a big deal, at 1000 games, not too big a deal, its alot of work but it can recover. At 10000 games, your stats are never recovering because you would need to play another 10000 at 60% winning percentage, at 55% winning you would need 20k, at 52.5% you would need 40k, just to get to 50%.. and yeah... that just isnt going to happen. 

Edited by Kconvey_1

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles
1 minute ago, Kconvey_1 said:

Just remember because of the way stats work if you ignore them for too long they will hit the point where they arent recoverable.  If you lose 60% of your games at 100 games, not a big deal, at 1000 games, not too big a deal, its alot of work but it can recover. At 10000 games, your stats are never recovering because you would need to play another 10000 at 60% winning, at 55% winning you would need 20k, at 52.5% you would need 40, just to get to 50.. and yeah... that just isnt going to happen. 

That is exactly what happened to me over in tanks...and for the record I started this because I was simply curious and just looking for opinion.  I think it is a residual effect from tanks that I check my stats, but I really don't care about others.  Unless someone is talking smack in game, then I might look them up just to see, but I don't bring it up in chat - to toxic.

Members
1,819 posts
1 minute ago, Scratched said:

That is exactly what happened to me over in tanks...and for the record I started this because I was simply curious and just looking for opinion.  I think it is a residual effect from tanks that I check my stats, but I really don't care about others.  Unless someone is talking smack in game, then I might look them up just to see, but I don't bring it up in chat - to toxic.

And then players wonder why I am so anti stat. It will drive players from the game, because people do NOT like to be reminded that they lost. 

[SIDE]
Members
713 posts
3,118 battles

Stats are rather important for me. It helps me judge myself on how effective I should be on my team. Also how much to expect of my team, Is majority of the low ranking players going to one flank and need back up?  How good is this CV vs the other CV, do I need to be AA mostly and play it safe?  Any extra info is good info.

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
455 posts
13,146 battles

Stats are important for measuring your own growth in game and that's really all. They can tell you things like "you're being to aggressive" or " check your ammo type against targets." I think they can steer you toward certian classes/ships as well, mainly for completing certian missions like "achieve 75k damage in one battle."

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Couldn't care less. Just play and have fun is my motto....

This is the thought of more players than the opposite view. Stats drive people to excel or crazy where the majority reside is dependant on point of view.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I only use stats to gauge my own ups and downs (I'm newer with only 400ish battles).

One great stat to look at?....set your in game ribbons to show detailed hits. When you start seeing how many are not causing damage and either shattering, ricocheting, or over penetrating, it will help you learn when you are choosing the wrong shell type and you will need to adjust yourself. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,640 posts
8,010 battles

I'm only using stats to know if I see a progression or not and to see if someone actually know what he's talking about.  Bashing other with stat will add more unnecessary salt in a game already salty.

When you start WOW, you shouldn't pay attention to stat and just have fun / learning game mecanics. After a minimum of 1K battle, you can start looking at your stat and see where you're good and where you're bad. You can use stats and try to reach a certain number with a specific ship to add more challenge if you want but other than that, I don't really care about stats

[RIPQP]
Members
434 posts
12,175 battles

I read on the forums that if you have good stats, you will be more attractive to women, and more likely to be hired by an employer. On the other hand, if you hide your stats, you will never amount to anything in life.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,238 posts
8,905 battles
1 hour ago, Kconvey_1 said:

one key thing to remember in this game or out: you don't have to worry about what other ppl think about you, bcos usually, they don't....they're every bit as wrapped up in themselves as you or anyone...

55 minutes ago, Scratched said:
57 minutes ago, Scratched said: