You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
surratus

Sticking around a match after sinking

21 comments in this topic

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Sticking around after you sink can often be a much better way to learn the game than jumping right into another match.  It can also be a very humbling experience...who am I kidding it is usually is a humbling experience.  In my quest to get better I've watched a lot of videos and streams from some fantastic community contributors, but there are many great players who just game quietly in the background and make me realize that I have so much yet to learn.   BTY, having more to learn is never a bad thing, knowing that you have more to learn is best.  So frequently I stick around for a full match, be it Co-op, Randoms, or Operations (...and maybe next season Ranked).  Sometimes I'll give a cheer for my team, most times I'm a silent observer. 

The forums are frequently a place where we players complain, ask questions, or beg for changes from the developers.  It is also a place where we joke, make parodies, or occasionally loose our collective minds.  But for me, tonight, I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those who quietly carry me though a match, who teach by example, who focus on their own mission and tasks, and who make me think, "Wait, how did you manage to...dodge, hit, avoid, be aware of, predict that, move between, or just appear there".

Salute!

Edited by surratus
  • Cool 4

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I too if sunk I will watch silently and either be amazed or ashamed by so many people. To those amazing people o7 to the shamed o7 you made my learning that much easier.

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,670 battles

I always stick around in a match after i die ,  ok , not always ,  but most of the time .

I usually try and help the team , keep them informed of where that pesky DD pops up for example .

Sometimes i will stick with one player and kind of try and be his second set of eyes  , watching around him / her while they are obviously focused on a ship.

sometimes i learn a new trick ,  and

sometimes it's entertaining .

Beta Testers
1,288 posts
3,583 battles

I offer words of encouragement and then leave usually as I don't want to be a distraction.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,676 battles

After being insulted for a comment made after getting sunk, I bail almost immediately every time.

If the match is close, near the end, or otherwise interesting; I will watch it through.

I rarely make any comment after I'm sunk even if I stay.

[PVE]
Members
303 posts

Most of the time I will watch and try to pick up new ways to play a ships I have.{like a T9 USSR DD I suck with}

Also sometimes you can pick up better ways to play a map.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,672 battles

I often stick around after the game. Sometimes I learn something new. Not as often these days, admittedly, because I have a lot more games under my belt. But sometimes a dead guy can help bring attention to something that players still in the game might have missed. Then it's just a question of whether I will get a "thanks, man" or a "shut up, dead guy." lol

As someone mentioned above, if the game is a slaughter I just head back to port.

Respects,

Am

Members
1,238 posts
8,931 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Avatar said:

I always stick around in a match after i die ,  ok , not always ,  but most of the time .

I usually try and help the team , keep them informed of where that pesky DD pops up for example .

Sometimes i will stick with one player and kind of try and be his second set of eyes  , watching around him / her while they are obviously focused on a ship.

sometimes i learn a new trick ,  and

sometimes it's entertaining .

I go in streaks....usually I want to ff to the next match or take a break, bcos I got housed individually or the team or both...and even more so if I'm in a div that's lost everybody...."port?"... ...but sticking around has its uses...

....one thing lately, tho: my new laptop's doesn't scroll right, so I can't take the overhead view if I'm on somebody's ship, which means the action's blocked by the ship...when I was new I thought that looked neat, bcos u could see the ship up close, the damage effects, etc.

....so I have to use the free cam ...woe is me...

[TF16B]
Members
8,054 posts
16,991 battles

Almost always stick around. Either to just watch, or perhaps to offer the occasional, hopefully useful comment.

Part of that is because I play each ship in a five-game block before switching to a new ship; so I pretty much don't have anything else to do until the game is over.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,676 battles

I play a series of ships of a type, so I can jump into another similar-ish ship right away.

I have an order to the ships I'm playing, so I play the first ship available from the list.  Currently, I'm focusing the US cruisers.  I'll play Pensacola, then Neptune, then HSF Graf Spee as I get killed. I used to get further in the list, so I needed more ships.  Since I am surviving longer, I don't run through as many.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

I stick around and watch, I've leaned some good stuff doing that. I really like watching DDrivers in action. I've gotten some good ideas for driving DDs from them and what I've seen also helps me when I'm hunting DDs in my CLs.

However, I rarely say anything in chat, especially to specific players. I don't like backseat drivers and I'm sure that other folks don't either.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Almost always stick around. Either to just watch, or perhaps to offer the occasional, hopefully useful comment.

Part of that is because I play each ship in a five-game block before switching to a new ship; so I pretty much don't have anything else to do until the game is over.

I am curious as to why that is?  Usually I play handful of my favorite ships to get the daily bonus done.  Usually high tier ships with 100% permanent camo and 19 point captains (to maximize elite captain XP and free XP).  With the new medallions I would sometimes stick to same nation for some time (played Yamato/Musashi pair may times over recently) or same class of ships.  

Why play same ship five times?

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,800 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

I rarely say anything in chat, especially to specific players. I don't like backseat drivers and I'm sure that other folks don't either.

I try (don't always succeed) not to criticize a specific player in game chat, but toward the end of a close game I'll frequently offer advice, particularly if I've been spectating that player for a while and have seen signs that maybe they aren't all that experienced in their ship.  By the same token, I've received advice/suggestions from other observers in scenarios like this which did call my attention to something I'd missed.  Sometimes I've even seen those suggestions before it was too late. :Smile_teethhappy:

The main thing is to be respectful (which again, I don't always succeed at).  I can't stand seeing comments which openly mock a player or insult their abilities, but reminding a teammate that there's probably an enemy destroyer moving toward C cap or that a currently unsighted battleship had less than 5k health remaining the last time it was spotted is okay by me.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
577 posts
4,541 battles

I generally stick around but don't advise those left alive. They will have their own plan's and strategies. Often give compliments that play well for a team regardless of a win or a loss.

Only leave if the team is 7 down in 5 minutes, no point watching that team be steam rolled.

[TF16B]
Members
8,054 posts
16,991 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Why play same ship five times?

Five became the minimum number of times I would play a ship before deciding (for whatever reason,) that it wasn't worth playing any more.

Numbers divisible by five also made convenient stopping points for playing other ships. (I gave up on Des Moines at 100 games, and stopped using Bogue in Randoms at 300, for example.)

By extension five became a convenient number that actually helped me start learning to use different ships better by playing them more often, without playing them so much it became boring or a drudge.

Lastly; it's just become a habit.

(-)

As a comment somewhat related to the original discussion; I've gotten pretty good at stomping co-op bots with a carrier when the odds are long, (3, 4, occasionally even 5 or more;) particularly when the team collapses and I'm left all alone to fight them.

I've often wondered what people who left such a seemingly 'hopeless' situation thought if they looked at the battle results later and realized the game was a 'win' for them.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,222 posts
8,400 battles

My team always depends on me though...

[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,702 battles

90% of the time I will stick around after dying, I will ride along with others sometimes switching between various ships to see how the turret rotation is, gun fire and reload speed, torp angles, etc, its a great way to learn about different ships and to figure out whether or not its a line of ships that I may want to pursue.  By the way, I am a silent rider, I never am critical of others or how they play, I'm the hitchhiker they did not know they had.

[BNKR]
Members
274 posts
358 battles

I do on occasion, but most of my play sessions are limited to under an hour a night so I don't do it very often.