Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Caesar_WoWS

A Newbie in Need

14 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
5 battles

Ahoy!...Er, ah, whatever you sea types say.

I'm new...very new to Warships. I was an avid WoT player for a while, before I stopped playing about a year ago because of a lack of interest. I am, however, a big Jingles fan. And I've seen loads of his WoWS content, so I decided to give it a shot. And? I really like it so far. Its very different from WOWS, and I have some questions for those more seasoned among you.

1. Where do I go? I'm not really sure which nation or ship type to go for. Battleships seem like the likely option; lots of armor and big old guns, not to mention healthy HP pools. But...well I've seen enough "Big Dumb Battleship," moments on the MIghty Jingles' channel to know you cant just fail your way through those and not be punished. Destroyers? Not sure. Looks like they require at least a good deal of experience to play well, but they are powerful little beasts. Aircraft carriers are a definite no. Definitely look to require a great deal of knowledge to play. So I'm looking into cruisers for now, and easing myself into the other types. 

So... what's a good choice for a new player? Thus far I've played all the Tier I ships, but its obvious that (like in WoT) Tier Is don't really give you much insight into what you'll be up against. I really enjoyed the Bougainville and Black Swan. My first game in the Bougainville I stood up to 3 CPU opponents and won alone, doing a bit shy of 20,000 damage, which seems good for a Tier I. I loved the power of those guns. The Black Swan has those unique AP shells and a rapid rate of fire, which is nice. In fact, the British cruisers seem intriguing to me, having seen them on YouTube. But they seem like they'd be a bad starter line, no armor and being limited to AP shells. What do you all think? How are the French Cruisers? Russian? German? I'm not overwhelmingly interested in the American or Japanese cruisers, I've seen enough of them in replays to see they aren't overwhelmingly attractive. I am looking into American Battleships. Not sure on destroyers yet. Give me some advice?

2. Any "New Player," offers to get? I know WoT had some things like this, and I did notice the "Invite a Friend," option. Any way I can take advantage of those? What do you get and how can I get them? I've been thinking of getting my girlfriend into this, as she enjoyed WoT as well, and we'd like a new game to play together.

3. What's the best way to quote "Git gud"? Are there any newbie mistakes to avoid? Ships/Ship lines to avoid playing until the future? 

Thanks for the help guys, hope to stick around,

_Caesar_ :cap_yes:

Members
23 posts
5,627 battles

Greetings, and welcome to the high seas!

For your first point, you indicated that you like cruisers.  They are good general purpose ships, not particularly good at one thing, but they are quite flexible in playstyle.  Please feel free to try out all ship types though, as you might surprise yourself as to what you end up liking.

For your second point, I have a "Invite A Friend" link available, and it is:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/rYpn9qb

Thirdly, since you indicated you like following Jingles work, let me present to you one of the videos he set up just for beginners:

Edited by RenamedUser_1018007003

Members
4 posts
5 battles
19 minutes ago, RenamedUser_1018007003 said:

Greetings, and welcome to the high seas!

For your first point, you indicated that you like cruisers.  They are good general purpose ships, not particularly good at one thing, but they are quite flexible in playstyle.  Please feel free to try out all ship types though, as you might surprise yourself as to what you end up liking.

For your second point, I have a "Invite A Friend" link available, and it is:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/rYpn9qb

Thirdly, since you indicated you like following Jingles work, let me present to you one of the videos he set up just for beginners:

12 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

1) sounds like you should give cruisers a try first

2) see PM

3)https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/123-new-player-guides/

this whole sub forum is dedicated towards helping new players

Thanks for the help! Cruisers do seem like the good starter ship. How are the British and French cruisers? I've heard very little about them (especially the French) I migh go down the Russian line at some point because I want the Battleship Moskva, I have seen a lot of good things about that ship.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
1 minute ago, _Caesar_WoWS said:

Thanks for the help! Cruisers do seem like the good starter ship. How are the British and French cruisers? I've heard very little about them (especially the French) I migh go down the Russian line at some point because I want the Battleship Moskva, I have seen a lot of good things about that ship.

avoid british ones until you have a general understanding of this game

that whole line is too unforgiving for beginners

mistakes gets punished harder than other lines

Members
4 posts
5 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

avoid british ones until you have a general understanding of this game

that whole line is too unforgiving for beginners

mistakes gets punished harder than other lines

Seems like a smart idea. Russian line seems to be pretty good overall.

On another note, the invite codes have given me an odd result. It says "Register to get in-game gifts." Which I understand. But it says they can be used for players that have progressed up to level 3. I am level 3, so has that made me ineligible?

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
Just now, _Caesar_WoWS said:

Seems like a smart idea. Russian line seems to be pretty good overall.

On another note, the invite codes have given me an odd result. It says "Register to get in-game gifts." Which I understand. But it says they can be used for players that have progressed up to level 3. I am level 3, so has that made me ineligible?

ya...if you want the results youd have to create a new account

Members
4 posts
5 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

ya...if you want the results youd have to create a new account

Noooooooo! Well....the rewards look a little too good to pass up... I wonder if my WoT account would carry over to WOWS

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm new...just shy of 400 battles. I absolutely HATE battleships. Slow, long reloads, slow turret traverse. Cruisers and Destroyers usually offer a good deal of flexibility during the battle. To each their own though...if you were a light/medium tanker like I am in WOT console, you will not enjoy BBs after a few games. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

PLEASE Tell me youre Klaus

Cruisers are a good start. You like light torpedo cruisers, go DDs, you like Big meaty cruisers, BBs are for you. You like breathing hell on everything that floats, maybe you will just stay cruisers. Learn each nation before you start. The wiki rocks

Edited by MCCIV

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,043 battles
1 hour ago, _Caesar_WoWS said:

Ahoy!...Er, ah, whatever you sea types say.

I'm new...very new to Warships. I was an avid WoT player for a while, before I stopped playing about a year ago because of a lack of interest. I am, however, a big Jingles fan. And I've seen loads of his WoWS content, so I decided to give it a shot. And? I really like it so far. Its very different from WOWS, and I have some questions for those more seasoned among you.

1. Where do I go? I'm not really sure which nation or ship type to go for. Battleships seem like the likely option; lots of armor and big old guns, not to mention healthy HP pools. But...well I've seen enough "Big Dumb Battleship," moments on the MIghty Jingles' channel to know you cant just fail your way through those and not be punished. Destroyers? Not sure. Looks like they require at least a good deal of experience to play well, but they are powerful little beasts. Aircraft carriers are a definite no. Definitely look to require a great deal of knowledge to play. So I'm looking into cruisers for now, and easing myself into the other types. 

So... what's a good choice for a new player? Thus far I've played all the Tier I ships, but its obvious that (like in WoT) Tier Is don't really give you much insight into what you'll be up against. I really enjoyed the Bougainville and Black Swan. My first game in the Bougainville I stood up to 3 CPU opponents and won alone, doing a bit shy of 20,000 damage, which seems good for a Tier I. I loved the power of those guns. The Black Swan has those unique AP shells and a rapid rate of fire, which is nice. In fact, the British cruisers seem intriguing to me, having seen them on YouTube. But they seem like they'd be a bad starter line, no armor and being limited to AP shells. What do you all think? How are the French Cruisers? Russian? German? I'm not overwhelmingly interested in the American or Japanese cruisers, I've seen enough of them in replays to see they aren't overwhelmingly attractive. I am looking into American Battleships. Not sure on destroyers yet. Give me some advice?

2. Any "New Player," offers to get? I know WoT had some things like this, and I did notice the "Invite a Friend," option. Any way I can take advantage of those? What do you get and how can I get them? I've been thinking of getting my girlfriend into this, as she enjoyed WoT as well, and we'd like a new game to play together.

3. What's the best way to quote "Git gud"? Are there any newbie mistakes to avoid? Ships/Ship lines to avoid playing until the future? 

Thanks for the help guys, hope to stick around,

_Caesar_ :cap_yes:

WG really should have a "returning player" invite code just like WOW's "scroll of resurrection". Gives both players enough incentive of in game goodies, WG can instantly grow their WoWS player base by quite a bit. Since currency's not unified, there's really no down side to this.

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
168 posts
8,438 battles

My advice when picking a crusier line: 

You want to start with ones that are easy to learn and will get you lots of milage down the road: Go American or French

Want to learn to play one ship and ride it to Tier 10, Go Japanese

Want to learn good habits for high tier and maybe competitive play down the line but are kinda tricky to get your head around: Go German

Like OP Russian bias and don't mind learning a new play style each step in the line: Go Soviet

Are you a masocist that wants to get hit hard and then get back up again: Go British

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I'd recommend looking into the IJN Cruiser line for most beginning players. 

The IJN Cruisers have access to a high number of tools that can lead to a playstyle you truly want to absorb later. 

With the earliest access to 203s of any nation, they teach when the opportune time to switch to AP from HE might be. 

They've got access to Torpedoes, sure the angles aren't the greatest BUT if you come to enjoy Torpedo play it means you may want to consider looking in DD lines. 

Going back to the 203s, the Turret Traverse on IJN ships is one of the National "downsides" and because 203s are generally a lower RoF compared to the 152 CL guns it might give of BB vibes. So if you can deal with slower Turret Traverse + Lower RoF you might want to consider at that point looking into BBs. 

As someone who plays a lot of Cruisers, if you're looking into a BB line that has similar characteristics of a Cruiser head down the RN BB line. Picking the correct Ammo type is critical, it's the difference between a Good RN BB and a Bad one. 

As for the RNCLs, I highly suggest you stay away from them until maybe 200 matches played. By then you should have some knowledge of how to best utilize their AP-only main batteries. Basically, where to aim and how to aim. 

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles

If you're dead set against USN or IJN cruisers, then the Soviets aren't a bad line to pursue.  They tend to get decent earlier than the other cruiser lines, even if the Tier X isn't quite as good as her counterparts (though still very good).  One word of caution, though: Soviet cruiser torpedoes, at least until Donskoi, are basically "oh :etc_swear:" weapons...as in, you don't use them unless you find yourself in one of those moments.

Destroyers do take a bit of experience to get good at, but the low tier ones (particularly the low tier Japanese DDs) are remarkably forgiving and fairly easy to net solid gameplays in.  Just keep in mind that for your first few months in them you're going to see a lot of hit or miss games...some 5 kill, 80k damage ones interspersed with 0 kill, <10k damage games.  That's the nature of the beast.

Battleships are far less forgiving than many people realize.  Yes, between the large HP pool and the heals you can soak up a lot of damage, but if you make a mistake in your positioning it's almost impossible to survive it (particularly in the low tier BBs)--you just don't have the speed or maneuverability to escape.  And the #1 mistake any new player makes is going to be positioning; you'll probably do a bit better than most because of your WoT experience.

Agreed on avoiding the British cruiser line at first.  I'd also stay away from the Pan-Asian and German destroyers for much the same reason--in the hands of a good player they can be absolutely great, but in the hands of anybody else they're just going to cause a lot of frustration and broken keyboards.

If you're interested in great YouTube creators more focused on learning the intricacies of the game, IChase, Notser, and Flamuu all have excellent content (and a lot of it).  Yuro has a very humorous and entertaining collection of videos uploaded, if you want some lighter fare.  Much as I love Jingles (his videos led me to this game as well), he's not a person you necessarily want to take game-related advice from. :Smile_teethhappy:

Finally, the two other great ways to "git gud" quickly, in order, are:

1. Practice, practice, practice.
  2. Dig through these forums.

Welcome aboard, and good luck! :Smile_honoring:

Sign in to follow this