You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
APA_204

CV progression, help needed.

24 comments in this topic

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Ok, instead of screaming at bad CV's I decided to try to learn them. Struggling....I think I am trying to do to much to soon, strafe, perfect manual drops......spot dd's be cool and pick up chics in the harbor...

I realize the micro management skills will come but where should one start? (tier 6, 11 point captain).... My personal biggest flaws seem to be, getting to close and screwing up manual drops and having to circle around and re drop and by then it's all f'd up. Bomber drops half the time I can barely see the ship...struggling to even hit with those...granted my keyboard skills suck, I'm still a clicker, have to look at the keyboard before clicking.

Second, I panic'ish, so many times I'm close to that perfect strafe....screw it up and end up clicking on enemy planes and going full tier 4. And of course losing track of dd's, possibly getting sniped....stuff like that... I am only playing the Ryujo but have had several games against multiple cvs.

Third, fortunately I haven't had to many tier 8 games but how to you judge distance to that damn New Orleans? or NC?

4th, I do have the Kaga and Saipan from boxes or doubloons, should I try to learn on OP ships? Seems learning on tech tree ships would make me learn more quickly, or as my old man would say learn the hard way.

Any and all advice (constructive)would be welcome...I know there are  tons of really good CV drivers, what would be a baby steps approach to getting better?

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

I'm not particularly good at CV, so I recommend looking up Farazelleth on YouTube.

Bot battles are a great place to practice dropping on moving targets. Practice in general is how you get good with CVs, it's a different game.

Saipan with its 2/2/0 load-out is not a bad way to learn imo, you only have 4 squadrons but they are good squadrons. Definitely use an 11 point cap on it, minimum. 

[5D]
Members
1,226 posts
7,119 battles

Listen.

Your squads will literally talk to you when they're under AA fire. Use that and memorize where they should start coming under AA fire. If they don't... you're dealing with a non-AA build. Have fun.

While learning, play like a parasite. Focus on spotting ships and incoming torpedoes. Basically, focus on defense and only strike when it's easy mode. After you have more experience, you'll naturally start seeing more opportunities.

• Cool 1

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
1 minute ago, X15 said:

I'm not particularly good at CV, so I recommend looking up Farazelleth on YouTube.

Bot battles are a great place to practice dropping on moving targets. Practice in general is how you get good with CVs, it's a different game.

Saipan with its 2/2/0 load-out is not a bad way to learn imo, you only have 4 squadrons but they are good squadrons. Definitely use an 11 point cap on it, minimum. 

Ty, Agreed, I have watched several of his videos...and he makes it look so easy until you try it...... Problem with Bots is that they don't strafe back and the game is over so quickly... but I like that idea of the 2/2...lot less to track...even though I'm only tracking 5 now...

I am starting to feel bad for the things I've said to Cv's...( but not the ones that have 1000's of games and still are 34%)

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Ok, instead of screaming at bad CV's I decided to try to learn them. Struggling....I think I am trying to do to much to soon, strafe, perfect manual drops......spot dd's be cool and pick up chics in the harbor...

I realize the micro management skills will come but where should one start? (tier 6, 11 point captain).... My personal biggest flaws seem to be, getting to close and screwing up manual drops and having to circle around and re drop and by then it's all f'd up. Bomber drops half the time I can barely see the ship...struggling to even hit with those...granted my keyboard skills suck, I'm still a clicker, have to look at the keyboard before clicking.

Second, I panic'ish, so many times I'm close to that perfect strafe....screw it up and end up clicking on enemy planes and going full tier 4. And of course losing track of dd's, possibly getting sniped....stuff like that... I am only playing the Ryujo but have had several games against multiple cvs.

Third, fortunately I haven't had to many tier 8 games but how to you judge distance to that damn New Orleans? or NC?

4th, I do have the Kaga and Saipan from boxes or doubloons, should I try to learn on OP ships? Seems learning on tech tree ships would make me learn more quickly, or as my old man would say learn the hard way.

Any and all advice (constructive)would be welcome...I know there are  tons of really good CV drivers, what would be a baby steps approach to getting better?

Only play tier 6 CVs until you get better at playing them. Tier 7 is unforgiving because of the Saipans and Kagas while tier 4-5 dont teach you how to strafe. Dont even think about getting into tier 8-X matchmaking until you feel comfortable with CVs, otherwise you'll get murdered by better players and your team mates will crucify you for your failure.

Edited by Ulthwey

[5D]
Members
1,226 posts
7,119 battles
Just now, Ulthwey said:

Only play tier 6 CVs until you get better at playing them. Tier 7 is unforgiving because of the Saipans and Kagas while tier 4-5 dont teach you how to strafe.

I would have upvoted you, but I'm out.

Just... do what he said. Very much so.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
2 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Listen.

Your squads will literally talk to you when they're under AA fire. Use that and memorize where they should start coming under AA fire. If they don't... you're dealing with a non-AA build. Have fun.

While learning, play like a parasite. Focus on spotting ships and incoming torpedoes. Basically, focus on defense and only strike when it's easy mode. After you have more experience, you'll naturally start seeing more opportunities.

I guess I should change my voice back to US from Polish huh? May seem to help.....sigh, how I got this far in life sometimes is shocking.

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
5 minutes ago, X15 said:

IBot battles are a great place to practice dropping on moving targets. Practice in general is how you get good with CVs, it's a different game.

This.  I don't really play CVs, but when I gave it my shot I spent a lot of time in PvE before I even attempted Random battles.  I had many of the same issues you're having (and still would if I went back to CVs), and practicing against the bots definitely helped.  Plus you tend to take less crap from other players on your team when fail hard in a Co-op battle.

Is it still possible to do manual drops with tier IV-V in Co-op?  If not, that's something WG might want to look into adding; the culture shock of moving up to tier VI is bad enough as it is, without also forcing players to learn manual drops from scratch at the same time.

• Cool 1

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
4 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Only play tier 6 CVs until you get better at playing them. Tier 7 is unforgiving because of the Saipans and Kagas while tier 4-5 dont teach you how to strafe. Dont even think about getting into tier 8-X matchmaking until you feel comfortable with CVs, otherwise you'll get murdered by better players and your team mates will crucify you for your failure.

Fully agree with that, and why I'm looking to try to get some good habits quickly at tier 6

[5D]
Members
1,226 posts
7,119 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I guess I should change my voice back to US from Polish huh? May seem to help.....sigh, how I got this far in life sometimes is shocking.

Heh! 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Tell ya what... I play & practice my T6 carriers in coop... I also tell folks I'm new to that tier and still learning the manual stuff. On the plus side... if you can keep fighters occupied, you don't really have to use manual actions with your aircraft. My older fingers just aren't quick or accurate enough for T6 in randoms yet... maybe never, dunno. I do like the t4/t5 action in randoms though. Great fun! 

I'm hoping for a better carrier UI in the near future, myself.

The folks you are being pointed to on youtube are well worth watching. GL and don't give up. 

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles
49 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Is it still possible to do manual drops with tier IV-V in Co-op?  If not, that's something WG might want to look into adding; the culture shock of moving up to tier VI is bad enough as it is, without also forcing players to learn manual drops from scratch at the same time

That is an amazingly excellent idea, +1 mate!  You should make the suggestion to @Pigeon_of_War.

:Smile_medal:

B

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,716 posts
9,496 battles

Co-OP practice until perfect or confident enough, plus you can also learn to manual drop if bot anticipate your drop so you need to guess which angle to drop it .. strafe, even harder

don't go into random just yet, the more you practice in Co-Op the better

Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles

The Ryujo fighters are a poor match for an independence's. So concentrate on making the most of your torpedo drops.  Practice dropping at different crossing angles. Also you would have use some search fu in the cv subforum but I left a post with pics showing a way to use auto drops as a "lead indicator" to help set up your manual drops

It's not the best way to use manual drops but it works until you don't need it anymore. 

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,410 battles

If you're at tier 6, run operations.

For the Ryujo, "Killer Whale" is easy and fun, "Defense of Naval Station Newport" can be a bit tricky, "Raptor Rescue" and "Aegis" can both be a mixed bag with the crazy AA on the tier 6 and higher cruisers.

For the Kaga, "Narai" isn't too bad but "The Ultimate Frontier" is punishing for carriers. "Narai" is tricky in the Saipan but doable.

In all but "Defense of Naval Station Newport" you will need to be mobile, which is good practice.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
Added links for the operation's I've posted with CV's
  • Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,053 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

practice make perfect

It's one thing to have a CV that's trying and losing and another to have a moron. Keep doing it. Do a little review between matches, take a breather close your eyes and think back, then continue. 

Also join the CV petition club, demand better control interface for CVs.

Edited by NeutralState

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,355 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Hey nice job deciding to try a ship type instead of expecting others to meet your standards!

A: micro skills come into play immediately, everything has to be micro'd. Fighters, TBs, etc. As a start, stop trying to spot and defend your team. I know that's bad, but at that tier, and at your level, that's just too much to do. Instead, focus on your drops and try to do just one thing at a time. 

B: Don't worry about it, CVs are high stress. You'll learn strafe, focus on your drops first.

C: you can't, you can try, but you won't be able to guess it. You'll lose planes accidentally, that's why some have suggested AA range markers that the CV can view.

D: Don't even try, the higher you go the worse it gets, learn step by step.

All in all it seems like you are trying to do everything at once. Just learn one thing at a time.

Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
57 minutes ago, megadeux said:

Hey nice job deciding to try a ship type instead of expecting others to meet your standards!

A: micro skills come into play immediately, everything has to be micro'd. Fighters, TBs, etc. As a start, stop trying to spot and defend your team. I know that's bad, but at that tier, and at your level, that's just too much to do. Instead, focus on your drops and try to do just one thing at a time. 

B: Don't worry about it, CVs are high stress. You'll learn strafe, focus on your drops first.

C: you can't, you can try, but you won't be able to guess it. You'll lose planes accidentally, that's why some have suggested AA range markers that the CV can view.

D: Don't even try, the higher you go the worse it gets, learn step by step.

All in all it seems like you are trying to do everything at once. Just learn one thing at a time.

Phone is not letting me edit the quote, I'm only addrssing "A".

If you have not learn that by t6 go back to t5 .i understand there is a lot to take in at t6 but if you can not manage your squadrons while spotting and being a deterrent for your fleet you really need to down tier. T4-5 lost the manual attacks for this very reason. 

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Thanks all, went 7-5 today. So not full potato, but my damage is low, XP is ok, I didn't get owned but certainly left 100's of thousands of damage on the table from my screw-ups and lack of awareness.

Edited by Sweetsie

Members
87 posts
402 battles

@Sweetsie play 100 games of Ryujo.

Literally. Ryujo is a great way to practice and gain discipline in bomber control. 

Edited by Trollphoon

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
1 minute ago, Trollphoon said:

@Sweetsie play 100 games of Ryujo.

Literally. Ryujo is a great way to practice and gain discipline in bomber control. 

ya, if not more, no desire to rush into higher tier play till I'm comfortable.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,355 battles
11 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Phone is not letting me edit the quote, I'm only addrssing "A".

If you have not learn that by t6 go back to t5 .i understand there is a lot to take in at t6 but if you can not manage your squadrons while spotting and being a deterrent for your fleet you really need to down tier. T4-5 lost the manual attacks for this very reason. 

No, it's just that it sounds like the OP is having an issue microing. In a CV other then ryujo this advice would be bad. But ryujo can't defend anything well with it's one fighter, and spotting is secondary for a CV.

Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
4 minutes ago, megadeux said:

No, it's just that it sounds like the OP is having an issue microing. In a CV other then ryujo this advice would be bad. But ryujo can't defend anything well with it's one fighter, and spotting is secondary for a CV.

Exactly. Just like zuiho can't defend the fleet from a Bogue. But at t5 you can master managing the game without the worry of alt attacks.

Ideally  the advice for a new t6 cv player would be "hold alt and learn to aim". The reality is that players move up to soon.

There is no shame in it.