Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Valemorah

Questions from a new player

9 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
8 posts
4,064 battles

Ive been playing warships for about a month now and a few things I am still curious about.

1. Will they every release the past premium captains like Segal and Dunkirk again?

2. New ships they release like the Roma; will they be available for Doubloons at some point?

3. I have hard matchmaking will soon be up and down only 1 tier instead of 2, is this true and when will this change come?

4. How are the current campaigns supposed to be in play for (yamamoto and honorable service)?

5. How many times per year do ranked play seasons come around?

6. How often do sales happen for ships, purchasable by doubloons? Like which ones can we count on. I was here for X-mas, so I know that's one, but are their others throughout the year? Halloween, veterans day, thanksgiving?

7. Just a personal gripe - it seems like Cruisers and CV's need a bit more balancing. Cruisers's tend to be a lot less useful in matches than a DD. It seems like they try to fit the middle ground of a BB and DD but not having anything significantly useful about them, while they just seemed to get dunked on by either end. Maybe if they had a bit more health and more torpedo protection, they could endure the BB barrage while hunting for DD's at least a little bit. Or maybe if they are spotted by a DD, only the DD can see it until another cruiser or battleship comes in range.

CV's are more frequently in matches with 3 other CV's than filling in the no CV matches. It seems to me, if you spread them out more 1 to 1 it would make it a lot more enjoyable (at least for me). I guess this would indirectly be a buff to anti air ships, as it would be overall more common to have a CV in your match

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

1) Possibly. Well, probably not Seagull, considering the way he was recently in the news.

2) Possibly, at some point. Nothing has been announced, but premium ships cycle in and out. They normally come to the web shop first, then months later are cycled into the in-game tech tree for doubloons.

3) Not gonna happen. Whoever told you this told you a lie.

4) How do you mean 'how are they supposed to be in play'? Do you mean how long? Semi-permanent - they might go away at some point but nothing has been announced. They've been in there for a while already, I don't expect them to go away any time soon.

5) There's been 7? 8? In about 2.5 years.

6) Not very often. Twice a year sounds about right. You missed a big one around christmas.

8) That's in part a newbie gripe, cruisers require an amount of finesse to play well but it can be done - and in part an actual complaint, some of them could do with some minor adjusting. If you get hit very often by torpedoes however that's on you, not the ship - WASD more.

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

1. Knowing WG, they probably will at some point. There is a french captain you'll be able to earn soon and of course Yamamoto in the campaign.

2. Very likely, but probably not in the next year

3. WG has said NO many times

4. We will probably get plenty of advance warning, at least a month. I imagine honorable service will be around forever.

5. I don't know, feels like a month of break between each one.

6.If I'm remembering correctly, there are normally 2 a year, one being Christmas. The other is often the anniversary of something. There are also nation or tier specific sales from time to time.

7. Generally speaking: the higher the tier, the stronger the cruiser. And they are, after CV, the hardest class to learn(in my opinion).

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,251 battles

Well with 1300 battles you're not exactly new. Secret here: Lert has the inside scoop on everything. If he tells us forumites to sell all our ships well guess what... Seriously though Lert and K15 pretty much got it. Some things you can't really tell though.

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
53 minutes ago, Valemorah said:

Ive been playing warships for about a month now and a few things I am still curious about.

1. Will they every release the past premium captains like Segal and Dunkirk again?

There will be new captains added periodically, but generally they don't go back and re-issue past ones (they're generally part of a marketing deal)

2. New ships they release like the Roma; will they be available for Doubloons at some point?

Almost definitely.  They generally stick to cash only on new premiums because that's worth more to the company (no way to pull cash out of a container).

3. I have hard matchmaking will soon be up and down only 1 tier instead of 2, is this true and when will this change come?

Maybe.  I'm sure WarGaming would love to implement this, but they have to have a large enough player base first; mid tier battles aren't generally an issue, but at the top & bottom there are fewer people in the pool.

4. How are the current campaigns supposed to be in play for (yamamoto and honorable service)?

I think you meant "how long", in which case the answer is indefinitely.  Honorable Service has been around for more than a year now.

5. How many times per year do ranked play seasons come around?

I'm not really sure.  They will post plenty of news updates whenever the next ranked season is incoming, and you'll see a ton of threads & videos discussing it.

6. How often do sales happen for ships, purchasable by doubloons? Like which ones can we count on. I was here for X-mas, so I know that's one, but are their others throughout the year? Halloween, veterans day, thanksgiving?

Generally over every major (international) holiday, with individual items going on sale from time to time in between.  Again, there will be plenty of warning & it's hard to miss when major sales start.

7. Just a personal gripe - it seems like Cruisers and CV's need a bit more balancing. Cruisers's tend to be a lot less useful in matches than a DD. It seems like they try to fit the middle ground of a BB and DD but not having anything significantly useful about them, while they just seemed to get dunked on by either end. Maybe if they had a bit more health and more torpedo protection, they could endure the BB barrage while hunting for DD's at least a little bit. Or maybe if they are spotted by a DD, only the DD can see it until another cruiser or battleship comes in range.

Cruisers are meant to be "jack of all trades" ships, particularly at the low tiers.  They're good at just about everything but not great at anything (with the exception of some great AA ships at higher tiers).  They don't tank damage nearly as well as a battleship, and they aren't as agile or stealthy as a destroyer, but they do generally combine good range with a high rate of fire (making them very valuable for inflicting sustained damage on the enemy).  There are a lot of nuances to learn in cruiser play.

CV's are more frequently in matches with 3 other CV's than filling in the no CV matches. It seems to me, if you spread them out more 1 to 1 it would make it a lot more enjoyable (at least for me). I guess this would indirectly be a buff to anti air ships, as it would be overall more common to have a CV in your match

CVs are the only ships which have a definitive matchmaking rule requiring them to be evenly balanced on each team (exact tiers and numbers).  This was not always the case, and made for some incredibly unfair matchmaking in the early days of the game.  At high tiers (VII and above) it's very rare to see more than one carrier per team, but at lower tiers you'll often have two per team simply because there are more carrier players to get into matches.  That's offset by the relatively limited striking power of tier IV & V carriers and the fact that their players have to rely on "auto-drops", which are far easier to dodge than a well executed manual drop.

^

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
5 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

CVs are the only ships which have a definitive matchmaking rule requiring them to be evenly balanced on each team (exact tiers and numbers).

Not entirely correct. While CVs do have the MM rule that every CV has to be matched by an even tier CV on the other team, there are MM limits on DDs as well, and I think even on BBs. These MM rules are a lot more relaxed though, stating that there can not be more than 1 BB / DD difference between the teams. Used to be before these rules that you had matches with 2 DDs on one team and 5 on the other, that simply doesn't happen any more.

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Not entirely correct. While CVs do have the MM rule that every CV has to be matched by an even tier CV on the other team, there are MM limits on DDs as well, and I think even on BBs. These MM rules are a lot more relaxed though, stating that there can not be more than 1 BB / DD difference between the teams. Used to be before these rules that you had matches with 2 DDs on one team and 5 on the other, that simply doesn't happen any more.

True.  That was why I included "definitive", but I can see how my answer could be misunderstood.

Edit: Wasn't it IChase who posted that video of his 3v1 match, when it dropped his 3-ship division up against a "team" consisting of one carrier? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Harv72b

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
1 hour ago, Valemorah said:

stuffles

1) Doubtful.

2) Some. I have my doubts on Roma specifically, but who knows?

3) Nobody has announced this ever.

4) Do not understand the question.

5) Like... 6?

6) The ships are rarely on sale. The doubloons themselves... maybe 2-3 times a year?

7) YMMV... and it likely does, since you are new. Cruisers are extremely useful. And no, most of us like our CV-free matches, thank you very much.

Edited by Cruiser_Fiume

Members
17,826 posts
5,089 battles
48 minutes ago, X15 said:

And they are, after CV, the hardest class to learn(in my opinion).

I only wish that I could DD as well as I CA. (not that I'm great at it or anything)

Sign in to follow this