You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ares1967

TK possible, take the shot or not....

28 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
751 posts
7,931 battles

I was in a match recently and got the TK penalty. I'm not arguing I shouldn't have gotten the penalty, just curious about opinions.

Here's the situation.

My Shiny under 5k HP vs a Gwagon on about the same health at about 2.5km when a green Kirov drives right between us on just over 1k HP. I have a perfect broadside shot at the Gwagon and I'm just completing a reload. I'm pretty certain if I shoot my rear turret is gonna hit the Kirov. I took the shot and I was right, killed both ships.

My thought at the time, I figure between the Gwagons secondaries and mains both green ships are dead if he gets a chance to fire. If I take the shot its possible I miss the Kirov and save us both, at worse we dont lose two ships to zero.

After the match I Pm'd the Kirov driver and apologized with a short explanation. He was a good sport about it and thanked me for making the effort.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

Uh. How about just not shooting the rear most turret? Lol. 

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,784 posts
12,916 battles

Every "possible" TK requires an assessment.  Sometimes, you have several seconds to make it.  Sometimes, it's a split second decision.  The simple fact one makes the assessment is the key thing...be it a torp shot or a gun shot.

In your case, if a friendly and you are one or two secondary hits from dead, and waiting could result in both being taken out by the enemy, I think it's a no brainer...take the shot.

There are many other instances where the lines aren't as clear.  But that's part of the game.  It's a decision.  I have no problem with being TK'd if the offending party made a tactical decision they thought was the best for the team.  Flippant disregard for a TK and the team...yeah...I don't like that.  But if you do due diligence...that's enough for me.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles

You hold fire and see how it plays out.  I've had many an opportunity to take what could be a kill shot, but I held because of a teammate in the way.  Every situation is different, so its a tough call.  At least your TK was cool about it and didnt rage at you.

B

[INTEL]
Members
751 posts
7,931 battles
4 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

If I was as good as you that may have come into play. Sadly I'm unlikely to reach that level. ;)

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

if I were in the same sit I would've taken the shot minus the rear most gun. But I do know that separating the turrets you lose crucial time and effective firing on target that millisecond could make that shot or miss it. You took the shot as a calculated risk. It turned out to be the right thing. You even took the time to notify your teammate. Very Commendable +1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,053 battles

Yes take it, if it's torping also torp it.

TK penalty is negligible compare to the return.

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
580 posts
4,574 battles

Id take the shot. If the other ship fired first you may have both been taken out due to your HP.

Not the best turning pink but i hope it was enough to secure victory. 

[PVE]
Members
8,940 posts
7,305 battles
23 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

I was in a match recently and got the "Breast Cancer Awareness Award" aka TK penalty. I'm not arguing I shouldn't have gotten the penalty, just curious about opinions.

Here's the situation.

My Shiny under 5k HP vs a Gwagon on about the same health at about 2.5km when a green Kirov drives right between us on just over 1k HP. I have a perfect broadside shot at the Gwagon and I'm just completing a reload. I'm pretty certain if I shoot my rear turret is gonna hit the Kirov. I took the shot and I was right, killed both ships.

My thought at the time, I figure between the Gwagons secondaries and mains both green ships are dead if he gets a chance to fire. If I take the shot its possible I miss the Kirov and save us both, at worse we dont lose two ships to zero.

After the match I Pm'd the Kirov driver and apologized with a short explanation. He was a good sport about it and thanked me for making the effort.

16 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

:Smile_great:

7 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

You hold fire and see how it plays out.  I've had many an opportunity to take what could be a kill shot, but I held because of a teammate in the way.  Every situation is different, so its a tough call.  At least your TK was cool about it and didnt rage at you.

B

This is what I usually do if I can not just fire the unobstructed turrets. I sometimes make mistakes, as everyone does, so own up to it and wash out the pink.

5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can do whatever the f--k you want.  Just be ready to deal with the consequences.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
1,238 posts
8,932 battles

I think you did the right thing....and the PM shows class. ...but isn't that a freakishly rare situation?... ...all my pinks have been well-earned by my [edited]....

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles

A follow-up comment.

If in a clan battle or ranked match, and the action means winning or losing, then I would most likely take the risk for the win. 

B

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,284 battles
2 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

A follow-up comment.

If in a clan battle or ranked match, and the action means winning or losing, then I would most likely take the risk for the win. 

B

^Agreed!  If securing the win in CB or Ranked means being pink for awhile, then take the shot!  We did run into that situation once or twice in CB, and everyone was hollering for the person in that position to take the shot.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to win in CB. :cap_rambo::Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts
75 battles
45 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

What penalty did you receive?  In order for a penalty to be a penalty, you have to suffer some form of negative affect.  Does the color pink sting your eyeballs or something?  I'm eating pink yogurt right now because the fresh strawberries colored the otherwise white plain yogurt.  But I'm not feeling any pain from eating this pink meal.  I might experience a little discomfort from the gas later due to all the fiber, but that's not because of the color.

If you can read between the lines, my point is that the post is moot.  Delete the enemy ship and kill your teammate if, and only if, the result is the best option for the greatest percentage odds of winning the match.  Otherwise, hold the shot.

Members
272 posts
4,658 battles

I can see how in the heat of battle you may not have thought of the option of firing your turrets individually. Your intentions were good, I would have been okay with being killed. 

This is why the option to forgive a team kill would be a good idea. Something like this I don't believe you should be penalized for.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

Sometimes you have to take the chance. If the match hangs on your shot, if you can take out a high value target but there's a chance of hitting a friendly, it might be worth considering taking the shot.

But if you do, know that it's your own choice, and don't complain about the consequences.

^ not saying you are, OP, just stating in general. There's always people that take a risky shots and then come complaining on the forum when they turn pink. You did right though, opening a PM and apologizing and not complaining.

Members
17,826 posts
5,089 battles

I'd take the shot. That close to a BB's secondaries, the Kirov was dead anyway.

Did a similar thing once with torps. Had a friendly BB with very few HP left between me and an enemy BB. Either the friendly would turn away from or into the torps. (he had an island dead ahead) I was in a CA low on HP, so once the friendly BB was done, I was a one-shot.

I launched the torps, the friendly turned into them, (but was down to 2k HP when one hit his bow) but 3 got through and sank the enemy, and we won.

I PM'ed the teammate after the match to apologise. He just laughed and told me he complimented me, and that he was pleasantly surprised that I didn't hold off, as he expected I would.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts
15 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Yes take it, if it's torping also torp it.

TK penalty is negligible compare to the return.

Removing a team mates armaments from the game, which for the most part still work, regardless of their health, for the chance of taking out an enemy does not sound like a good return to me.

[YORHA]
Members
3,268 posts
16 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

If I was as good as you that may have come into play. Sadly I'm unlikely to reach that level. ;)

Then the correct answer would be "not".

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

hmm

double clicking shoots all turret at the same time

gently clicking your left mouse button shoots one turret at a time

[ARGSY]
Members
5,855 posts
3,984 battles

Difficult call.

If it scrubs the last enemy ship in something important like Ranked, I'd defend taking it.

OTOH if the points for both teams (or worse, for the enemy team) are in the 900's somewhere, remember you lose more points for losing one of yours than you get for killing the same kind of theirs; it could tip the point balance and end things the wrong way, especially if your friend blows up or floods out before the shells or torps reach the enemy ship. So it would depend very much on who was in the way and how much you stood to put the other team ahead by.

And worse, the reflected damage killing YOU could end YOUR game as well, and if the two of you are the last survivors, it could be that you blow your entire team away and leave him the victor by inches.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,053 battles
2 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Removing a team mates armaments from the game, which for the most part still work, regardless of their health, for the chance of taking out an enemy does not sound like a good return to me.

What team mate? Who cares about team mates? What game have you been playing?

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts

Ahhhh, the simple joy of sarcasm. It does a body good.

[PVE]
Members
8,940 posts
7,305 battles
5 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Ahhhh, the simple joy of sarcasm. It does a body good.

:Smile_teethhappy: