You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Alien_Observer

Over Pen's, can the shell damage an ally behind an enemy ship.

21 comments in this topic

[POP]
Beta Testers
291 posts
10,530 battles

Was wondering if a few shots that over penned from a salvo, can pass through an enemy DD and hit a friendly DD that is directly behind it, as they are knife fighting? Do the shells continue onward as they pass through the bulkheads of the enemy ship and impact objects, or do they just kinda go kerplop into the ocean? 

[R-F]
Members
783 posts
6,420 battles

Sounds like a fun exercise for the training room.  Line up 3 DDs side to side and have a go point blank with a yamato!

I'm guessing, though, that even a shell that overpenetrates stops being an actual object after striking the first target ship.  Even if it doesn't... even at point blank range the shell will always be travelling downwards.  The trajectory will not be in your favor.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,815 battles

No.

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles

The shell effectively ceases to exist once it interacts with your ship's model.

Therefore, neither an overpen nor a bounce will be a threat to nearby allies.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,429 battles

I'd have to say no. The trajectory wouldn't be right. My opinion though.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,850 posts
13,862 battles

I once watched 9 Molotov 180mm AP shells over pen the broad side of a Leander at 5km. Which made me wonder if there was another ship on the other side of that Leander if my shells would have done damage to the other ship. 

Beta Testers
1,491 posts
9,002 battles

Even if it were possible, honestly, the ally would have to be so close that it would be irresponsible to be firing at the target to begin with.  Even without that possibility, you would be far more likely to hit the ally with misses due to your aim being off or just simply dispersion causing over shots.

Members
519 posts
3,432 battles
59 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The shell effectively ceases to exist once it interacts with your ship's model.

Therefore, neither an overpen nor a bounce will be a threat to nearby allies.

That's too bad because it's pretty funny when ricochets' kill someone else in tanks, wish it would happen here then again people would whimper like they do about detonations and accidental torps making you pink.. 

Members
1,251 posts
9,055 battles
8 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

I once watched 9 Molotov 180mm AP shells over pen the broad side of a Leander at 5km. Which made me wonder if there was another ship on the other side of that Leander if my shells would have done damage to the other ship. 

in RL, yeah.....the above being a case in point. ...maybe not directly from the shell, but the high-velocity debris et al. ....in the game I assume no...

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

It is a valid tactic to attach DDs to your sides, so that they cover your citadel.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Here's a similar question for you game mechanics gurus, can the explosion from a torpedo or HE shell damage a ship other than the one it struck?  I know some battleship HE shells have explosive radii of 35+ meters, so it's certainly big enough to reach an adjacent ship.

[PSP]
Members
6,346 posts
8,968 battles
10 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Don't think so. I have never actually seen shells pass through the ship.

A single overpen can pass through both sides of a citadel and thus be counted as two citadel hits. However, as you said, I don't think there's a mechanic in place for a shell to go beyond that and hit a second ship.

Note that below there were only three hits yet four citadels. The overpen passed through both sides of the citadel and thus was counted as two citadel hits.

5a6e74d9a088d_cits2.jpg.13cc940372aea4fda9c16bf48b86f9ff.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle

[POP]
Members
599 posts
12,025 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A single overpen can pass through both sides of a citadel and thus be counted as two citadel hits. However, as you said, I don't think there's a mechanic in place for a shell to go beyond that and hit a second ship.

Note that below there were only three hits yet four citadels. The overpen passed through both sides of the citadel and thus was counted as two citadel hits.

I take it the over pen was on the torpedo bulge and the cit was on the belt?

Edited by Alabamastan

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,535 battles

I think in cases where you have two ships beside each other, either both enemy or two BBs sluygging it out together, and someone fires from range hits both, it's more dispersion then anything.

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
8 posts
9,282 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

5a6e74d9a088d_cits2.jpg.13cc940372aea4fda9c16bf48b86f9ff.jpg 

My understanding was that the citadel ribbons are independent of any other hits. So in this screenshot, it would be seven total hits (four citadel hits, two normal pens, and one over pen). I could certainly be wrong though. How many total shells were fired in that salvo would be informative.

[PSP]
Members
6,346 posts
8,968 battles
2 hours ago, echelon5 said:

My understanding was that the citadel ribbons are independent of any other hits.

I never thought about that, I'll have to look into it.

Members
1,251 posts
9,055 battles
11 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

It is a valid tactic to attach DDs to your sides, so that they cover your citadel.

isn't it?.... ...yah I'd like to conn a BB with tactical DDs strapped on... ...that way I'm the mother ship or a Chenjesu Broodhome. ....(if you guys get the reference, did I spell that right?)....kinky

Alpha Tester
3,470 posts
3,871 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I never thought about that, I'll have to look into it.

They are. Notably, overpenning a citadel will not give a citadel ribbon.