You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

Analysis tip- Who needs XVM for WoWS when you have WoWS profile emblems

11 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,619 battles

I got through playing matches on the PT Server. I picked a Elite BB emblem for my profile, one of the new ones from update 0.7.0. It is a shiny bright thing. I then started the random matches on the PT server.

I was not YOLOing with the Alsace BB, playing the ship like it suppose to played. I then notice a high amount of incoming rounds coming for my ship when compared to my BB team mates around me. I played few more matches and experience the same thing. I then noticed in your profile at the start of the battle has either the patch or emblem to the player's profile listing. And if it's an emblem, it is showing you are an experience/good player in WoWS.

I then had a theory to test. I then change the WoWS emblem out with a WoWS patch. I then noticed that I was not targeted much, unless I started to sink ships that the enemy team started to notice and would respond in kind.

All of this reminds me of the US Military in Vietnam when it came to officer shiny ranks on the shoulders. The enemy notice who was important by the salutes and the emblems. I think the same can be said for WoWS. For now I am not going to show any emblems from WoWS profile. What do guys think of this theory?

Sources:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/148294-update-070-distinctive-insignia/

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/149645-ban-the-xvm-mod/

Alpha Tester
2,726 posts
4,327 battles

Just wear the musty patch and anchor...pretend you are a beginner...

...wait, who looks at patch?

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,199 battles
23 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

...wait, who looks at patch?

Right? I'm sensing some confirmation bias, since I don't think it reasonable that there would be enough players checking emblems before a match and choosing targets from that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles
3 minutes ago, PelicanHazard said:

Right? I'm sensing some confirmation bias, since I don't think it reasonable that there would be enough players checking emblems before a match and choosing targets from that.

As a CV op, I learned to gather intel from the start load screen of the map.

I figure if an operator has enough confidence to advertise their excellence, then they can withstand me hitting the F3 button on them a few times.

Simple matter.  Enjoy your new found fame....

Members
2,748 posts
6,242 battles

It is something worth thinking about. Myself, I don't look at the emblems and decide who to go after. Whoever gets in range first is my priority and then just see how the battle plays out.

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts
1 hour ago, PelicanHazard said:

No... just the smart, experienced ones.  You know, the ones that kill you fast?

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

I shoot at the idiot giving me the best shot - or if I think I can hit the shot whatever destroyer visible at the time.  It's about silencing as many guns as quickly as possible in this game.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

The emblems should be blocked at the beginning of the match, just like the Rank symbols...